Texans Extend P Bryan Anger, OLB Whitney Mercilius

ET80

19 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

After looking, pretty surprised to see the Texans with that much cap space (although I’m sure Watson’s extension will eat into that soon). Good locking them up. 

That cap space came at a steep price - Brandon Brooks, AJ Bouye and Jadevion Clowney.

Watson and Larmey Tunsil are probably going to see the bulk of that money over the next year or so. Some more money should open up by when Lamar Miller's contract tolls and if JJ Watt retires, so it should keep the Texans pretty liquid cap-wise.

13.5 a year for Mercilus seems like a bit of a yikes to me for a guy who hasn't been able to get over 8 sacks in his career except for 1 season, despite playing on a team that's featured Clowney and Watt taking up blockers for him over the years.

He's a solid player, just seems like a lot of money. Would feel like if the Titans had given Derrick Morgan 13.5 a year in his career here.

20 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

13.5 a year for Mercilus seems like a bit of a yikes to me for a guy who hasn't been able to get over 8 sacks in his career except for 1 season, despite playing on a team that's featured Clowney and Watt taking up blockers for him over the years.

I don't disagree, but he's really not asked to rush that much. He's picking up the assignments that Watt/Clowney are dropping because they're reading a gap or weakness to exploit. 

22 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

He's a solid player, just seems like a lot of money. Would feel like if the Titans had given Derrick Morgan 13.5 a year in his career here.

I need to see what the yearly breakdown looks like - I'd surmise it's a front loaded deal, with back end money being next to zero (right around the time Watson and Tunsil need deals).

I don't hate the money, but I can understand why folks would.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

How long do you have before Tunsil needs to be extended?

His 5th year option is next season - the Texans like to negotiate with guys prior to the beginning of their contract season, so we'll probably hear something right around the start of training camp.