Clarkfn's Seattle Review (The Preferred Review of Your 2019 NFC West Champions)

clarkfn2284

What a game.........Once again a nail biter, but they got the job done and have put themselves in the best position possible for a SB run. I am physically exhausted this morning and I didn't play a down. I can't imagine how those guys feel today. Let's go!

QB

Jim was really sharp last night. He completed his first full season as a starting QB in the NFL and led a team to a 13-3 record, a division championship and a first round bye with home field advantage in the playoffs. Why? Jimmy is a winner, that's why. There are 5 throws that I can remember in this game that were really incredible. Two throws to Sanders in the first quarter. The first being the throw with KJ Wright's back turned. It was such a small window to hit and he placed it perfectly. The slant route to Sanders for the first down was a really good toss as well. Sanders didn't get much separation and Jimmy had to put it on the money or it would not have been caught. The RPO to Deebo was on the money and the quick slant in the red zone to Deebo stands out as well. Both throws were very good reads and the throws were on the spot without the lower half being is great position. My favorite throw was the Juice completion. He looked off the safety and hit him in stride. He was wide open, but Jimmy looking of the Safety made that play. There are more throws that were amazing, but we all get it at this point. This guy has a winning pedigree and he plays a huge role in the mentality of this team. They have a no quit, never out of it, next play mentality and it starts with 10. Tremendous performance.

Grade: A

RB

Mostert continues to show why he is getting more opportunities than the others. I'm not sure what is going on with Breida. I know that some believe he is in the dog house, but I am not sure why he would be there. I thought he looked good in his limited action last night with 2 really hard runs. I was a defender of Coleman and I still believe in him, but he continues to be ineffective and extremely underwhelming as a runner. I would like to see him lose some touches to Breida going forward, but he is a Shanahan guy so I'm not sure if we will see that happen. The run game was still effective with 24 carries for 128 and a 5.3 avg with 3 TDs. I would like to see one of these three guys have a game in the divisional round, but I'm not sure that we will see that with the usage of each guy. When the offense incorporates Juice it is better, plain and simple. He is such a utility weapon for this offense. What a decision by the 49ers brass to spend that money on this guy when the league is trending away from the position.  

Grade: Mostert (B+), Breida (C+), Coleman (D), Juice (A)

WR

Deebo Samuel is emerging as a number 1 WR and we are getting to watch it before our very eyes. I compared him to Boldin, but the more that I watch him the less that I feel that way. I don't know if we have ever seen a guy with WR skills, but the body of a FB/RB and the elite running skills of a RB. He gets north on those end arounds and just leaves people behind him. He is a violent football player, but he will also outrun you down the sideline and he has elite vision on the field. If he gets you in space, your dead. Emmanuel Sanders is a very reliable, consistent WR that a QB can lean on when needed. He doesn't always blow up the stat sheet, but he has an impact more often than not. I was somewhat disappointed that we didn't see more of the other WRs. I was expecting to get a little more KB action, but I think it is telling that on the 2 point attempt that they went to him. He has started to develop a knack for catches inside the 10. 

Grade: Sanders (B), Samuel (A+), Bourne (C)

TE

For a half Kittle was once again unstoppable. He regularly exploited Bobby Wagner's slow declining pass coverage skills and then decided to abuse Seattle's number 1 DB. Elite pass catcher, elite run after the catch and elite blocker. 100 targets in 2019 with 85 catches.........let that sink in for a minute. The absolute, undisputed, best TE in all of the land. 

Grade: A+

OL

Both tackles played much better than the first game against Seattle. I saw Mcglinchey get driven back by Clowney on the goal line, but outside of that they both played really well. Tomlinson got blown by on the first sack of the game, but aside from that he looked solid. Brunskill continues to show his value as a swiss army knife type of O lineman and I think there needs to be a discussion about who should be the RG when Person gets back. Brunskill had a really nice game and he just seems to be really consistent. Ben Garland.......I think Garland is just average at best. I think he is a good run blocker. He does a nice job of getting to guys on the reach blocks and he works hard to get to the second level. His pass pro leaves something to be desired. He just seems to get pushed around a bit. Overall the pass pro last night was good and the run blocking was as well. 

Grade: Staley (A-), Tomlinson (C+), Garland (C+), Brunskill (B+), McGlinchey (B)

DL

The defensive line is obviously tired. It really showed in the second half. They actually got consistent pressure, especially in the first half, but RW is just a special player who makes it hard to get to him. I though they did an adequate job of containing him and not allowing him to extend plays too many times. They also did a nice job creating havoc around RW. Bosa may be 1 of only a couple of DE's that can chase down RW when he leaves the pocket. He was very impactful in the game in ways that don't always show up in stats. He actually injured his hand on one of the tackles of RW and seemed to be favoring it all night. Hopefully it isn't anything that hampers him. I have yet to hear anything on it. Sheldon Day played very well. He was very stout against the run and never got blown off the line. I like what I saw from Kevin Givens and Zettle as well. Those guys were stout and while I don't know if they will be great at getting to the QB, I think they will be able to really help in the run game. Buck and Armstead both played really strong games as well. I think Solly is a run stuffing d lineman. The idea that he will generate pressure on the QB should not be a thing any longer. It is time to accept him for what he is. They bye week will be huge and hopefully they can get Dee Ford back to help lengthen the depth on the line.

Grade: Bosa (A-), Buckner (B+), Day (B), Armstead (B), Zettle (C+), Givens (C+), Thomas (C+)

LB

Man did I like the game for this group. Warner didn't make any splashy plays, but he just does such a good job of getting guys in position, making checks and then playing a consistent level of football. Dre Greenlaw is coming into his own very, very nicely. He looks like the fastest guy on the field nearly every week and he was flying last night. He made play after play and made a great read on the final play of the game. He is also a thumper if he gets you in his cross hairs. Azeez didn't get a ton of action, but when he was out there he played violently and was fast. There was a play on the first drive where RW ran a boot to his left and Azeez just completely blew up Hollister in the flat taking him away as an option. There might be something there with more time for him.

Grade: Warner (B), Greenlaw (A+), Azeez (C+)

DB

Is it time to address the elephant in the room? First, isn't it wild how Sherman completely shuts down one side of the field? It doesn't seem to matter who he is playing against. He just eliminates the WR he is covering 90% of the time. K'Waun didn't look great, but a lot of what he gave up were outs when they played off in coverage so I am not sure that it really is on him. He was quick and was looking to hit. Moseley did a nice job in relief of Spoon. He had the really nice PBU on a route he was beat on. It did seem that when he came in Seattle began to stack their routes and adjust to him in comparison to Spoon. I like Spoon and I am not a fan of benching guys that showed they were really good earlier in the season. What do we know about Spoon? We know he is talented and the measurables are there. We also know that he has had some issues with confidence in the past, but he bounced back from that which shows he is battle tested an coachable. However, he has been rough since he has returned. The one glaring thing for me is that he doesn't appear to be in bad position on a lot of these balls, but he is losing sight of the ball and thus allowing catches. I thought I heard something about 14 targets to him and he allowed 12 catches? It's on film now and teams look to expose what is on film so maybe it is time to make a change, I don't really know where I fall on it. I think Spoon is more talented, but Moseley does the little things better. Time will tell.

Grade: Sherman (B), Spoon (D), Moseley (B-), Williams (C+)

S

Very interesting thing to note in this game. The Niners ran some three safety formations on defense. I'm not sure how many times and I do not recall it happening before, but there were times where Ward, Moore and Harris were on the field together. It appeared it was when Lynch was in the game and the Niners just believed that Seattle was going to run. They continued to stack the box. Harris again played really well and was looking to make plays and hit. It is what he does and as long as he doesn't guess or take dumb penalties he is effective. Ward played well again and I though the back end did a nice job of not allowing anything to break over the top. solid night all around for this group.

Grade: Ward (B+), Harris (B+), Moore (c+)

ST

Gould was good hitting on all of his kicks and he looks like he may have found it. Wish was good with his punts. He boomed a punt, but the Niners had bad coverage on it and allowed a decent return.

Grade: Gould (A+), Wish (A-)

They went into Seattle and did what they needed to do and in all honesty, what they should have done. This team is far better than the Seahawks, but RW is what he is and the Seahawks find ways to muck games up and make it harder than it needs to be. They get a chance to get healthier and stay home, which is extremely important. There is a good chance that they will see Seattle again in 2 weeks, which would be fun. I think this team has passed every test in front of them this season. They are at a point where they show up and know they can beat anyone. It just becomes a matter execution. The Niners should be the favorite to run the table and head to the final game of the season out of the NFC, but they have to execute the plan. It has been a fun season, but now it begins for all of us. The expectation is what it is now. Time to enjoy a much needed bye week and get Ford and Tartt back. 

Edited by clarkfn2284
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Dub_City30 said:

That play where Warner read the play design siwthced sides and took out the number 1 opition to force a sack was amazing. 

He does such a good job of making ereads and checks. There are times every week where he recognizes the play and checks to the correct defense. Dude is super smart for a 2nd year guy.

1 minute ago, clarkfn2284 said:

He does such a good job of making ereads and checks. There are times every week where he recognizes the play and checks to the correct defense. Dude is super smart for a 2nd year guy.

Hes amazing. Lynch and Co.. have a done a great job building this team

Good stuff, and Warner is a shrewd player indeed but he was late in his checks a few times and the defense wasn't ready when the ball was snapped, including Lockett's TD. 

I mentioned in the GDT but we are severely out gaining opponents in YPP, yet are always in dog fights. That comes down to Shanny. Needs to improve his play calling late in games or be a bit more aggressive. Obviously in this game just was bad luck with the Garland penalty, but no way in hell should that have been a close game. Interested in seeing if Shanny takes more risks in the postseason. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Good stuff, and Warner is a shrewd player indeed but he was late in his checks a few times and the defense wasn't ready when the ball was snapped, including Lockett's TD. 

I mentioned in the GDT but we are severely out gaining opponents in YPP, yet are always in dog fights. That comes down to Shanny. Needs to improve his play calling late in games or be a bit more aggressive. Obviously in this game just was bad luck with the Garland penalty, but no way in hell should that have been a close game. Interested in seeing if Shanny takes more risks in the postseason. 

21st in red zone TD percentage, 19th in points per red zone attempt. Those are bad numbers numbers. We have to be better there. 

18 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I would have like to have seen him go for it on 4th and 1 when they made it 13-0. I think that was a moment to really shatter the Seattle confidence. IMO, it was a 2 score game either way, albeit two TDs versus a TD and a FG if you don't get the first and you do risk a momentum switch there, but I feel like it was a chance to seize the game and he went with the less risky option. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

21st in red zone TD percentage, 19th in points per red zone attempt. Those are bad numbers numbers. We have to be better there. 

Shanahan's offense is very effective with space. He definitely struggles inside the 20 and really inside the 10 it seems. There is less room to get creative with space and that may be what hinders him. They really don't use Kittle like a traditional red zone TE and I think they could.  

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's often times because Shanahan gets too cute down there. All those pitch plays inside the 20 make no sense at all. His quick screens go nowhere. We did score on those two Mostert TD runs in the 2nd half, but really he needs to let Jimmy loose there. Enough with the plays trying to fool the defense, just let him drop back and make something happen. His quick release is actually a big advantage in the RZ but we are still sub-par down there. And his play calling could be better in late game situations as well as his decision making. Time to go for the jugular in the postseason. 

• Like 3