Mock Offseason: HBV1 Las Vegas Raiders

Humble_Beast

Welcome to my first Mock Offseason: HBV1 Las Vegas Raider (I’ll probably do 2 mock offseasons)

I’ll get straight to the points 

Retained Players:

• Karl Joseph - 4y @ 7m we developed him over the years, and he was playing his best football before his injury. Joseph plays with a fire, and fast, we need more players with that style

• Daryl Worley- 2y @5m -this might not be popular, but I would bring him back on team friendly deal. Worley had his ups and downs last year and only 25. I’m don’t want to invest as much in free agency, see later where I would invest money 

• Isaiah Crowell- 1y @2.5M I’ll bring him back for cheap on a 1 year prove it deal. He’s actually a good back to have on the roster, and has had success in the NFL. Shouldn’t cost much

• Dion Jordan- 1y @5m good situational pass rusher. Knows coaching staff, I say bring him back for depth. Mayowa probably walk for money. 

• Denzel Good - 1y@2m another depth piece for interior line. I would promise him a chance to compete with Gabe Jackson for starting RG

• Jordan Devey - 1y@1m I’ll bring him back for cheap as he can play both C/G. He would be no lock as James looked good in limited time, would atleast bring competition which Gruden loves.

• David Sharpe- 1y@1m didn’t look bad when he played at RT. Better than Parker, and decent depth

• Curtis Riley- 1y@900k bring back for cheap, known for range. Good for compeition, he’s been in the NFL for awhile, so he has proven he can play in the league. Compete for S depth 

• Will Compton- 1y@900k I wouldn’t care if we let him walk. He played with heart, and seem like a Gruden grinder. Cheap vet who can compete for LB depth

Total Cost against cap: 25.3

Free Agency

• Arik Armstead 4y @18m our big splash signing. We add an all pro pass rusher, who is a great system fit. Armstead is a huge DE that PG covets, and can kick inside if need be. I want to invest in our defensive front seven. SF wants to bring him back, but they don’t have the money

• Leonard Williams 4y @12M another splash signing, and a shocker. I expect us to make a few splash signings, and we paid Armstead with Big Kat to try to win in the trenches. Williams grew up a die hard Raider, and from nearby Bakersfield. Williams is over New York and starts a new life in Vegas near home, with player friendly tax policies. 

• Corey Littleton 4y @10M this might be a bit of an overpaid, but Littleton is a solid player who can fly. With a great Dline, Littleton can shine using his speed all over the field. Rams don’t have the money to match. 

• Darqueze Dennard 2y @ 4.5M Former 1st rounder who is familiar with PG, not as hyped up. His best years were with PG, and this could be a nice upgrade to Lawson.

• Leraven Clark 1y @ 2m  Basically a vet to compete for Brandon Parker roster spot. Clark was depth on a really good Colts offensive line. 

Total Cost against cap: 46m

Bring back all the RFA and ERFA for cheap, young camp competition:

K Doss WR, Peterman QB, Eligwe ILB, Sieg LS, Carlson K, Dorleant CB, Valoaga DE, Morrow OLB, Leavitt S, Hunt G, Killings CB, Cotton G

These guys invited to camp on future contracts:

Aruna DE, Brown FS, Donnerson DE, Kalis OL, Magnuson C, Ratliff-Williams WR, Butler RB, Butler TE, Coney MLB, Pierson WR/KR

2020 NFL Draft

1) Henry Ruggs WR Alabama “PROS: One of the fastest players I’ve ever seen on a football field – and I don’t just mean for his age or in the college ranks. Ruggs has true world-class speed and he uses it well. He’s explosive with agility and with short area quickness, too. He’s also much more of a complete receiver than his speed might hint at. Ruggs is tough. He does not shy away from contact and often fights for yards after making it. Though smaller in overall size, he has complete game in strength and speed. He also has great ball skills and consistent hands”

1) Kenneth Murray WLB Oklahoma  “Pros: Murray is built like a modern day NFL linebacker at 6’2 and right around 235 pounds. Lean, athletic frame. Sideline to sideline speed is apparent as his pursues hard to the football. Outstanding motor that allows him to clean up a lot of tackles. Brings some juice as a blitzer and pass rusher, able to shoot gaps and close on the quarterback when called upon. Murray is at his best when tasked with attacking the line of scrimmage. Sound technique out of his stance can give him an advantageous first step when he’s able to diagnose. Productive player with over 150 combined tackles last season.”

3) Chazz Surratt MLB North Carolina “PROS: Outstanding physical traits in terms of size, body composition and mobility. Has excellent range, lateral mobility and his pedal is fluid. Good spring and overall bounce in his step. Really like how quickly he can change directions and cover ground. Has no issues getting depth in drops and getting outside the tackles to finish. Closes distance rapidly when blitzing/shooting gaps. Performing well in his initial action at linebacker after converting from quarterback. Urgenty, physical football player. Some impressive zone drops already where he reads the backfield and fluidly works into throwing lanes.” *could shore up our LB unit with athletic ability, speed. Would provide great depth behind Littleton and Murray, and might be a huge steal 

3) Cam Akers RB Florida State Alternative: Najee Harris/Zach Moss “Pros: Downhill runner that displays good proactive athleticism for the position. In the passing game, he is good due to his ability to affect the passing game in a couple different ways. Shows the ability to be a face up protector and the instincts to identify the most dangerous man against a blitz. Runs sufficient routes out of the backfield and sufficient hands as a pass catcher on check downs. As a runner, he displays a strong lower body and base. Does a good job running behind his pads and will finish runs. Tough runner between the tackles who shows the ability to stick his foot in the ground and get upfield on zone reads. Displays good long speed to take it the distance and beat angles by defenders in the secondary.” runs physical, overall good back, going be a good back there in the 3rd round 

3)  Tyler Johnson WR Minnesota alternative: BRANDON AIYUK *(slight trade down to pick up a 5th, so late 3rd rounder)PROS: Johnson is an explosive mover, with a combination of size and quick, decisive cuts. Comfortable when he’s crowded, and will attack the football well along the boundary. Traffic in front of him generally doesn’t faze him, and his extension to the catchpoint can be sublime. Flexible in the air with grippy hands. Basketball background appears when tracking and adjusting to the football. Quick feet at the line of scrimmage has allowed him to win inside in the redzone, finishing in tight spaces with consistency. Nuance in his vertical route running and how he closes down space on defensive backs. *bring in more talent to the WR unit. Great WR class

4) Netane Muti LG Fresno State - “PROS: Special movement abilities. Springy steps through all angles of offensive line play: was able to gain depth as a tackle in his kick slide and is one of the best pullers/climbers in all of college football. Has strong lateral steps to keep his balance and generate great angles to second-level defenders and looks to finish when he lands hands on linebackers and safeties. Can generate good angles on reach and scoop blocks with a nimble first step and great flexibility to sit his hips underneath his opponent and generate displacement power with full-body explosiveness. Aggressive pass-blocker who is wiling to activate his hands early and quickly disrupt interior rushes with early punches and jump sets. Anchor is surprisingly strong and he's not lack for mass -- has great flexibility to coil/uncoil his hips and re-settle his anchor when dealing with power up the middle; has torsion strength necessary to uproot rushers out of gaps and away from the quarterback's set point. High ceiling given combination of athleticism and strength.” *Richie long term replacement

5) Antoine Brooks FS Maryland alternative: Jordan Fuller “PROS: Freak athlete for his 5-foot-11, 215-pound build. It looks like Brooks is playing linebacker half the time he's on the field. In two seasons, he has 19 tackles for loss. His edge rushing skills are way advanced for a defensive back. He is strong to tackles and is a serious competitor. His first step and explosiveness are right there to keep up with running backs, tight ends and most wide receivers. Has the tools to be a true chess piece in today's NFL as a nickel or hybrid player.” *slides Harris over to SS, and can compete to be the 3rd safety

6) Kindle Vildor CB Georgia Southern alternative: Keith Taylor “PROS: Vildor is an extreme extrovert. Never shying away from a challenge and he faced two big tests during his final season. Against LSU and Minnesota. Felt as if he belonged and showed to be up to the task. Has a demeanor that feels as if he always belongs and isn’t afraid to chirp constantly to matchups after positive plays. The entire secondary feeds off of his energy and there are repeated examples of his leadership throughout the unit.” *more CB competition, hopefully the young DBS step up

7) Alex Taylor OT South Carolina State PROS: Vertically built, but a frame that has plenty of more room for growth on it.        Capacity to fill out his upper and lower halves are noticeable, but it will be a process that requires patience over the long haul. Built like an NBA power forward, he has well above average arm length and fingertips that can nearly touch the ground. Because of his size and athleticism, there will be plenty of teams that want to get their hands on him because of his untapped upside. Taylor is a prospect that coaches who are willing to accept a challenge will be intrigued by because the end result of his development are many years away. It’s fair to say that he hasn’t even entered the room that contains the surface for him to scratch his potential. Previous days as a college basketball player show up often in his lower half. Middle of the road football quickness and lateral agility are evident, but the quickness out of his stance create a long edge for rushers to run the hump. Paths are extended and lengthened because of his athleticism and frame, which makes it difficult for edge rushers to win the corner against him.”  *sounds like someone Cable could coach up, he tends to like taller OT. Battle for OT depth.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.profootballnetwork.com/2020-nfl-draft-alex-taylor-top-offensive-tackle-sleeper/%3famp

*I would also look for KR, K, LB with speed, WR as priority UDFAs

*used https://thedraftnetwork.com/ for draft info on prospects. very good draft website, I would bookmark 

Raider Roster going in 2020 camp:

QB

Carr

Peterman

Kizer

RB

Jacobs

Crowell/Akers

Richard/J Butler/Stanback

FB

Ingold

WR

Ruggs

Tyler Johnson

Pierson El

WR

Williams

Doss/Ateman

Ratliff Williams

Slot

Renfrow

Zay Jones

TE

Waller

Moreau

Carrier/P Butler

LT

Kolton

Sharpe

Taylor

LG

Richie

Muti

Cotton

C

Hudson

Devey

Magnuson/James

RG

Gabe

Good

Kalis/Hunt

RT

Brown

Clark

Parker

DE

Armstead

Jordan

Key

UT

Big Cat

Hurst

NT

Hankins

Hall

DE

Ferrell

Mad Max

Valoaga/Donnerson/Aruna

OLB

Murray

Morrow

MLB

Littleton

Chazz

Ekigwe/Coney

OLB

Whitehead

Lee/Compton

CB

Mullens

Dennard

Nelson/Dorleant

CB

Worley

Johnson

Killings

Slot

Joyner

Nixon/Vildor

Mabin

FS

Joseph

Brooks

J Brown

SS

Abram

Harris

Riley/Leavitt

K

Carlson

P

Cole

LS

Seig

Thoughts? Thanks for your time, and reading. Just Win Baby

Edited by Humble_Beast

Not a huge fan of investing that much into the interior DL. I understand Armstead but to sign him and Williams seems a little excessive. Also not a fan of Kenneth Murray in the first round at all, similar players can be found in the third round tbh. He's good but he's not worth an early pick, we would receive better value taking a defensive back. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Not a huge fan of investing that much into the interior DL. I understand Armstead but to sign him and Williams seems a little excessive. Also not a fan of Kenneth Murray in the first round at all, similar players can be found in the third round tbh. He's good but he's not worth an early pick, we would receive better value taking a defensive back. 

Armstead would be a DE, he fits the mold of player PG likes at the position. Armstead and Williams would be an investment in the trenches. I’m a firm believer that you have to win in the trenches 

6 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Armstead would be a DE, he fits the mold of player PG likes at the position. Armstead and Williams would be an investment in the trenches. I’m a firm believer that you have to win in the trenches 

We just spent a top 5 pick on Ferrell and he started to play better down the stretch. We're really going to bring in a high priced replacement and move him to a rotational role after one season? 

Too much tied up into the interior Dline for my taste.

Also, you signed Littleton to a big contract, drafted Murray in the 1st, and spent a 3rd on another LB. we typically play nickel so why invest in more than two of our most valuable resources? Littleton is a WLB in a 4-3 so him and the 3rd rounder is a good pairing so I’d take someone else with the Murray pick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

We just spent a top 5 pick on Ferrell and he started to play better down the stretch. We're really going to bring in a high priced replacement and move him to a rotational role after one season? 

Ferrell can starter at the other end spot, unless Mad Max clearly outplays him. Be nice to be deep with pass rushers. Ferrell and Max are both on rookie contracts the next few years, so we can spend on a stud. One passing downs we can play 

Ferrell, Armstead, Hurst, Max.....

we all want Ferrell, and Max to be all pros, but let’s get a sure thing in Armstead. If our youth pan out we can be scary good up front like the 49ers. It’s no secret why they are the 1seed in the nfc. Good teams invest in the trenches on both sides of the ball. You also don’t like Murray, but his pro comparison is Thomas Davis. We have been needing a LB with that type of speed, and talent on defense for a long time. Murray would be our best LB we had in the last decade lol 

9 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Surprisingly well put together props

don’t like getting Leo in fa or going back to back lb that early in the draft

other than that first round is easy $

also need a new qb in there somewhere 

Good job

Thanks I put a lot of time and effort on this mock offseason. I’m not going going make many, so tried to make it count 

18 minutes ago, Justwinning said:

Too much tied up into the interior Dline for my taste.

Also, you signed Littleton to a big contract, drafted Murray in the 1st, and spent a 3rd on another LB. we typically play nickel so why invest in more than two of our most valuable resources? Littleton is a WLB in a 4-3 so him and the 3rd rounder is a good pairing so I’d take someone else with the Murray pick.

Maybe a bit of overkill, I do really like that kid from North Carolina. Just tired of the horrible LB play and wanted to make sure the front seven was addressed. I was thinking of corner if Murray is off the board. My logic was fixing the front seven and hoping the young DBs step up.... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

Maybe a bit of overkill, I do really like that kid from North Carolina. Just tired of the horrible LB play and wanted to make sure the front seven was addressed. I was thinking of corner if Murray is off the board. My logic was fixing the front seven and hoping the young DBs step up.... 

It’s all good man. I appreciate the effort you put into this 👌🏼

• Like 1

No thanks on Worley, Riley, and Crowell. Would rather bring back Lawson and Jalen Richard

Armstead is not a DE, every Niner fan I know says he is best suited to play inside. He is a 5Tech really, but would tear the world up between Ferrell and Hankins. Therefore Leo and Armstead is just foolish. I would rather use that money to sign Byron Jones or Bradley Roby and ditch Denard.

You’re draft got an F from me outside of Ruggs. I am not a believer in Murray, Jacob Phillips is a better player and can be found in the 3rd Round

Edited by OG_C2X
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

This! CMon Man

23 minutes ago, OG_C2X said:

No thanks on Worley, Riley, and Crowell. Would rather bring back Lawson and Jalen Richard

Armstead is not a DE, every Niner fan I know says he is best suited to play inside. He is a 5Tech really, but would tear the world up between Ferrell and Hankins. Therefore Leo and Armstead is just foolish. I would rather use that money to sign Byron Jones or Bradley Roby and ditch Denard.

You’re draft got an F from me outside of Ruggs. I am not a believer in Murray, Jacob Phillips is a better player and can be found in the 3rd Round

We finally agree on a few things. 

Armstead as an interior pass rusher would be amazing but we don't need to invest heavily into the DL, IMO. One more solid vet like Armstead or McCoy would suffice and we should have starters at both edge spots with Crosby and Ferrell. 

Agreed on Murray, I'd much rather take Phillips, Dye, Snowden, or Brooks in the middle rounds than Murray in round 1. The only LB worth a first is Isaiah Simmons or Moses if he does end up coming out.

23 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We finally agree on a few things. 

Armstead as an interior pass rusher would be amazing but we don't need to invest heavily into the DL, IMO. One more solid vet like Armstead or McCoy would suffice and we should have starters at both edge spots with Crosby and Ferrell. 

Agreed on Murray, I'd much rather take Phillips, Dye, Snowden, or Brooks in the middle rounds than Murray in round 1. The only LB worth a first is Isaiah Simmons or Moses if he does end up coming out.

Murray is projected to be the next Thomas Davis. We need a player like him, why wait and try to fix LB later in the draft. I would invest in fixing the front seven. Phillips, dye, brooks all likely to be gone by our pick in the 3rd. Why risk it and get screwed with no LB help. Armstead can kick inside in 3rd downs, he is just an overall Stud DL. I would rather have a great dline then great DBs. You notice our DBs looked good the games we did get to the QB. I think highly of Ferrell and Crosby, but all the good defenses have a lot of pass rushers not just 1 or 2. It’s about time to make our defense great again. 

Crowell and Riley is nitpicking, they are merely training camp invites. If 3rd round rookie shows out, Crowell could be cut or trade bait. Riley just insurance and cheap vet who could be cut. I brought back Richard too