2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

19 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

4 years starter still "learning the position" okay. He's was JAG at UCONN and will be in the NFL. He was over drafted because of his H/W/S.

Smith flashed right out of the gate if you're not box score scouting. His game elevated to another level as the season went on. SEC champ game, through the playoffs he was playing like a top 5 draft pick. 

He was still learning corner, not FS. He wasn't overdrafted. How could you make that determination after 5 games, coming off injury and little to no camp?

I'll answer that. You can't unless it's fits your agenda.

Smith didn't flash vs App St, Samford, Ten, Florida or Vanderbelt. VS Miss St and ND he had a few good plays but didn't flash by any means. He came on later in the year just as I said.

Here are the players I hope to see the Raiders walk away with in the first 3 rounds.  

I am going to assume that Barkley, Chubb and Fitzpatrick are all of the board when we pick at 9/10.  If any of them are on the board then we should go with them.   

Realistically I can see us puling the trigger on Edmunds or Smith and of the two I would prefer Edmunds due to his versatility and upside.  After reading the posts on here about Nelson I wouldn't be opposed to taking him if our front office is confidant that KO can switch to LT.  I think he can and would be successful there.  Nelson may be the best/ safest pick in the draft and that would give us the best OL in the NFL if KO can make the transition.  

2nd round is wide open.  I could see us going many different routes but the DT's may pose good value for us here.  If any of (Via, Payne, Hurst) are still available they should be the pick.  If they are gone I think Bryan and Phillips pose good value.  The 2nd tier RB's are also intriguing.  Obviously Sony, Jones and Guice wont be drafted as "bell cow" type backs but this team is really missing that X factor out of the backfield in the mold of Kimura.  Wash and Richard are average and I am not saying that Sony, Guice Jones will have an impact like Kimura but they would be a significant upgrade over what we have.  

We all know we need CB depth and I think this class has some good value in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.  Ward will be gone but some of the others that may be around in the 2nd or 3rd will be Hughes, J. Jackson, D. Jackson, Oliver and Alexander.  

I also think LVE poses good value for a LB in the 2nd but if we go with Edmunds or Smith in the first it would most certainly be a moot point.  

I don't know much about this WR class but we certainly need some depth there.  If a WR like Pettis from Wash. or Kirk from A&M slips to the 3rd round both would pose good value.  

Just some random thoughts but as we all know FA will have a huge impact on our draft process.  

50 minutes ago, Gaetano said:

I'm personally still hoping for Quenton Nelson to be there when we pick. Assuming he is, I'd drop him in at LG, and decide which of KO/Penn stays on the left or right side.  Think he'd do wonders for our interior running game, which is still suspect to me. If Gruden is serious about running a '98 offense and using a FB a lot more, I say run with the premise and get a dominant run-blocking guard in there, and that's what Nelson is. 

Pair that with drafting a day 2/3 RB, and I believe that will help our offense considerably. Leaned way too heavily on the pass game last year. 

That's why I saying I would be open to the pick.  Would another edge rusher be great, yes...or a young stud LB, of course.  But with proper scouting, we should be able to find those guys outside the top 10, plus who knows what we may able to get in free agency.  We already have a young D, and I don't mind more yound studs but we need some vets to bring that group together.

But if an All Pro possible caliber lineman is sitting in our laps, and Oline is always priority, I'm all for insurance for Carr and our Oline unit.  We have a good unit, but it could be great with Nelson and the fact that Osemele could kick outside makes me more intrigued by it.  We would answer a huge hole with our LT, still have a stud interior and spare our defense some with an improved rush attack.  It just makes so much sense.  

Not too mention giving us some more cap flexibility because Nelson won't demand a big contract as a rookie Guard and Osemele would be a bargain with his contract compared to other starting LT's.

8 minutes ago, Madleg81 said:

That's why I saying I would be open to the pick.  Would another edge rusher be great, yes...or a young stud LB, of course.  But with proper scouting, we should be able to find those guys outside the top 10, plus who knows what we may able to get in free agency.  We already have a young D, and I don't mind more yound studs but we need some vets to bring that group together.

But if an All Pro possible caliber lineman is sitting in our laps, and Oline is always priority, I'm all for insurance for Carr and our Oline unit.  We have a good unit, but it could be great with Nelson and the fact that Osemele could kick outside makes me more intrigued by it.  We would answer a huge hole with our LT, still have a stud interior and spare our defense some with an improved rush attack.  It just makes so much sense.  

Not too mention giving us some more cap flexibility because Nelson won't demand a big contract as a rookie Guard and Osemele would be a bargain with his contract compared to other starting LT's.

Yup. To be clear I'm worried about the moving parts aspect too (KO to LT, Penn to RT) but I think its necessary for our future. We need to know if KO can be our LT for the next couple years, and we need to be ready to infuse some talent as our OL gets older. I'm big on winning at the LOS both on O and D, so I'd love it if a star guard falls to us at 9/10.  As unsexy as the picks might be, I'm all aboard for Nelson, Vea, or Payne provided we vet them properly and believe they fit well with what Gruden wants to do.

I'm not nearly as sold on someone like McGlinchey, who looks like a career RT and frankly seems to have piggybacked on Nelson's immense value.

All that said, I'm absolutely fine with going after Derwin James, Joshua Jackson, or Minkah Fitzpatrick as well. I'd prefer to stay away from guys like Edmunds and Davenport despite their HR potential. 

32 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

He played LT for the Ravens towards the end of his final season there and graded out well.  Why is it not within the realm of possibility and who "in the know" has shot this down?

he only did so because of injury situations. just like how he kicked to LT to close the opener against the Saints last season.

2 minutes ago, raiderrocker18 said:

he only did so because of injury situations. just like how he kicked to LT to close the opener against the Saints last season.

Once again how is it out of the realm of possibility that he plays LT if we draft a guy like Nelson?  He has experience there, has graded out well and would be a bargain LT in terms of his contract?  I'm not saying it will happen but to say that "people in the know" say it is not going to happen is being naive. 

44 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

He played LT for the Ravens towards the end of his final season there and graded out well.  Why is it not within the realm of possibility and who "in the know" has shot this down?

I've seen a few beat writers shoot it down a couple times. They seemed convinced it won't happen. 

I would like to draft a tackle in the 2nd if a decent one is there like Okorafor or Crosby. 

Penn scares me quite a bit, getting up there in age and got hurt at the end of the year again. 

Sharpe looked good in limited time. Newhouse is average/below average for a RT. 

Just now, raiderrocker18 said:

lol, he didnt say osemele is incapable of lining up outside the guard. he said he's not being considered to move positions.

lol, just because he isn't now doesn't mean he won't be later if the situation is right (like Nelson falling to us or that showing to be the best option in camp after off season plans don't pan out.) I think it's a valid train of thought and worth the discussion.

Archived