The MMA Thread | Jones-Miocic officially set for UFC 309 at MSG in November

beekay414

On 12/24/2020 at 10:15 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

True, Eddie Alvarez had success though. Brooks is a crazy one, he beats Chandler twice and then is hot garbage barely beating Ross Pearson and then losing 3 in a row before being cut

Hooker/Chandler should be an absolute war, I'd love to see the winner of that fight face Tony Ferguson next. 

54 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah they need to do Colby/Masvidal ASAP and let the winner fight the winner of Usman/Burns. If Usman loses I can't see Dana giving him an immediate rematch because he has a boring style and doesn't sell PPV. In a perfect world for the UFC, Masvidal beats Colby and Burns beats Usman, so they can do Masvidal/Burns for the belt and Colby/Usman 2 next. 

It's kind of tough for Wonderboy because all of the top guys have fights or potential fights on the horizon. The two fights that would make the most sense for him next are the Woodley trilogy or the winner of Edwards/Chimaev. 

Ooooo, never thought about that. That'd be alot of fun. Good call.

Beating Washed Woodley as you said, wouldnt do anything for him though and its not like Wonderboy is getting any younger. Hopefully he can be a replacement on a big fight or something. Feel like he deserves a top tier guy after taking on back to back up and comers

3 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Beating Washed Woodley as you said, wouldnt do anything for him though and its not like Wonderboy is getting any younger. Hopefully he can be a replacement on a big fight or something. Feel like he deserves a top tier guy after taking on back to back up and comers

Definitely but losing to Till and getting finished by Pettis definitely hurt his stock. If Chimaev is able to run through Edwards or if Edwards beats Chimaev, Wonderboy fighting the winner could put himself right back into title contention with a big victory. 

ETA it's pretty insane that Wonder Boy hasn't finished anyone since his 2016 fight against Johnny Hendrix. 

Edited by NYRaider

Just now, NYRaider said:

Definitely but losing to Till and getting finished by Pettis definitely hurt his stock. If Chimaev is able to run through Edwards or if Edwards beats Chimaev, Wonderboy fighting the winner could put himself right back into title contention with a big victory. 

Didnt he get hosed in that Till fight? Also he got caught vs Pettis, it happens but he was winning although it looks bad yea and because of that he had to fight Luque, fine but you do the exact same thing again? 

On 12/25/2020 at 4:48 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

What is his path to victory?

Pressure. His cardio is insane and you can't account for it until you get in there with him. I'm hoping Burns wins just because I find Usman to be a turd but he's arguably the toughest fighter in the UFC to beat right now. 

7 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Pressure. His cardio is insane and you can't account for it until you get in there with him. I'm hoping Burns wins just because I find Usman to be a turd but he's arguably the toughest fighter in the UFC to beat right now. 

I wasnt asking the question to be clear. It was just one of those things i keep hearing when discussed

2 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I wasnt asking the question to be clear. It was just one of those things i keep hearing when discussed

Well, people that are asking that simply either don't watch Kamaru Usman fight or don't know MMA. I know Burns dominated Woodley but people forget that Usman did too while also manhandling Rafael Dos Anjos prior. The standup threat is real from Burns but the question is will he be able to consistently get it off before being pressured and fighting off his back foot. We'll see but I have my doubts.

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Well, people that are asking that simply either don't watch Kamaru Usman fight or don't know MMA. I know Burns dominated Woodley but people forget that Usman did too while also manhandling Rafael Dos Anjos prior. The standup threat is real from Burns but the question is will he be able to consistently get it off before being pressured and fighting off his back foot. We'll see but I have my doubts.

I'm not a fan of Usman but his 5 fight win streak of fights that went 5 rounds over Maia, RDA, Woodley, Covington, and Masvidal is one of the most impressive streaks in UFC history. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I'm not a fan of Usman but his 5 fight win streak of fights that went 5 rounds over Maia, RDA, Woodley, Covington, and Masvidal is one of the most impressive streaks in UFC history. 

For sure. That and you can absolutely argue that he broke Woodley. I'd have to go back and watch the Maia fight again.

18 hours ago, beekay414 said:

For sure. That and you can absolutely argue that he broke Woodley. I'd have to go back and watch the Maia fight again.

And we've seen him outpace another high level cardio/wrestler in Colby as well. I don't see why so many people think he'll lose to Burns.

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

And we've seen him outpace another high level cardio/wrestler in Colby as well. I don't see why so many people think he'll lose to Burns.

Did he outpace him that much? At the very least the fight was razor thin going into the 5th, but thats about all I remember. I dont remember output/sig. strikes etc