The MMA Thread | Jones-Miocic officially set for UFC 309 at MSG in November

beekay414

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/30685776/dana-white-meet-khabib-nurmagomedov-press-one-more-fight

"I'm obviously meeting with him because I think that he should fight again," White told ESPN. "Look at what he did to Justin Gaethje [in October]. Look at what he's done to every opponent he has faced. ... I think he should fight again and I'm going to press him as hard as I can for one more."

9 hours ago, beekay414 said:

What a bunch of bull****. Who does he have to beat? Do you want him to completely derail Vettori's or Holland's hype trains?

it sucks but at the same time given how the first fight went im not exactly in a huge hurry to see Bobby Knuckles face Izzy again. Rob is great fighter and great dude

I dont expect him to fight Holland yet as thats a major jump but Costa or Vettori I wouldnt be surprised to see him booked against while Izzy does LHW stuff

6 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

it sucks but at the same time given how the first fight went im not exactly in a huge hurry to see Bobby Knuckles face Izzy again. Rob is great fighter and great dude

I dont expect him to fight Holland yet as thats a major jump but Costa or Vettori I wouldnt be surprised to see him booked against while Izzy does LHW stuff

I really don't understand this take. The gameplan from Whittaker in the first fight was so stupid that I'm 100% sure the fight is different next time. He's also the clear cut #1 contender and a former champion that never got his rematch. He starched Cannonier and out classed Till. He's already beaten the better version of Costa twice. There's no legitimate reason he shouldn't get his shot. 

20 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Dana will never let it go. At this point its just being a d!ck. He retired, leave him alone. All this bs he talks about so and so is retired not gonna talk about retired fighters

Conor/Poirier easily clears 1M buys but there probably isn't any other card that the UFC can put on this year that will surpass 1M+ buys. Maybe Jones/Izzy but that probably doesn't happen, maybe a Masvidal card, or maybe a Jones HW title fight. But realistically he's begging Khabib to come back so they can have the Conor rematch and get an additional huge PPV, one that could potentially be the biggest of all time. 

I know that Khabib says he's retired but didn't he tweet to Dana, "I'll see you soon" recently? And they still haven't stripped him of his belt so there must have been some conversations implying that he may fight again. 

Plus as much as Khabib and his camp swear they don't want the Conor rematch, it's hard not to take that fight. He can swear up and down that he fights for pride and legacy, that money doesn't matter, etc. But at the end of the day money does matter and he's retiring in his early 30's with a long life ahead of him. A second Conor fight probably nets him $50M+ and that's a very nice pay day to go out on as you end your fighting career. 

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I really don't understand this take. The gameplan from Whittaker in the first fight was so stupid that I'm 100% sure the fight is different next time. He's also the clear cut #1 contender and a former champion that never got his rematch. He starched Cannonier and out classed Till. He's already beaten the better version of Costa twice. There's no legitimate reason he shouldn't get his shot. 

I get that he beat them and thats all fine and good but that horrible gameplan and the way he lost so easily has to cost him. If he looked like he belonged in there at all then I’d be all for it but the fact he had a horrible gameplan isnt a good enough excuse. I have 0 issue with Izzy moving up. If he loses then go fight Bobby Knuckles

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Conor/Poirier easily clears 1M buys but there probably isn't any other card that the UFC can put on this year that will surpass 1M+ buys. Maybe Jones/Izzy but that probably doesn't happen, maybe a Masvidal card, or maybe a Jones HW title fight. But realistically he's begging Khabib to come back so they can have the Conor rematch and get an additional huge PPV, one that could potentially be the biggest of all time. 

I know that Khabib says he's retired but didn't he tweet to Dana, "I'll see you soon" recently? And they still haven't stripped him of his belt so there must have been some conversations implying that he may fight again. 

Plus as much as Khabib and his camp swear they don't want the Conor rematch, it's hard not to take that fight. He can swear up and down that he fights for pride and legacy, that money doesn't matter, etc. But at the end of the day money does matter and he's retiring in his early 30's with a long life ahead of him. A second Conor fight probably nets him $50M+ and that's a very nice pay day to go out on as you end your fighting career. 

I get why he’s doing it but the hypocrisy is annoying 

18 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I get that he beat them and thats all fine and good but that horrible gameplan and the way he lost so easily has to cost him. If he looked like he belonged in there at all then I’d be all for it but the fact he had a horrible gameplan isnt a good enough excuse. I have 0 issue with Izzy moving up. If he loses then go fight Bobby Knuckles

Sure it is. When have you ever seen Whittaker chase a knockout? With the way he looked vs Till and Cannonier, there's no legitimate reason to deny him a title shot next. None. He's 11-1 over his last 12 fights lol.

Uncle Dana just knows that Bobby Knuckles is the only real threat at 185 to Izzy's hype train. He doesn't wanna risk the potential cash cow.

Edited by beekay414

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Sure it is. When have you ever seen Whittaker chase a knockout? With the way he looked vs Till and Cannonier, there's no legitimate reason to deny him a title shot next. None. He's 11-1 over his last 12 fights lol.

Uncle Dana just knows that Bobby Knuckles is the only real threat at 185 to Izzy's hype train. He doesn't wanna risk the potential cash cow.

I agree 100% but because of how the first fight went and the fact Bobby Knuckles did want to take some time off i think it makes sense if Izzy wants to move up, to do so. I think if Cannonier beat Rob it would look incredibly bad for Izzy to move up. Now on the flip side i feel bad for old man Glover too.

If Izzy beats Jan he needs to:

1. Fight Whittaker 

2. Drop the belt

3. Fight Glover and let a MW interim belt happen

5 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I agree 100% but because of how the first fight went and the fact Bobby Knuckles did want to take some time off i think it makes sense if Izzy wants to move up, to do so. I think if Cannonier beat Rob it would look incredibly bad for Izzy to move up. Now on the flip side i feel bad for old man Glover too.

If Izzy beats Jan he needs to:

1. Fight Whittaker 

2. Drop the belt

3. Fight Glover and let a MW interim belt happen

I have no problem with the Izzy move up IRT Whittaker taking time. That's fine and makes total sense. My issue is the fact that Whittaker has to fight someone else at 185 in order to get the next title shot rather than just waiting out Izzy's LHW fight. This is a dude that let Tyron Woodley take over a year and a half off and get a title shot vs Lawler. There's no reason that Whittaker should have to fight someone else. There is nobody knocking down the door at 185 as it is. 

18 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Holland isn't ready for a title shot yet and they should make Marvin Vettori fight Paulo Costa. Whittaker should 100% get the next shot.

I’m fine with that. If anything i wanna know what Izzys plans are if he wins. Is he going to defend or defend both. If he vacates or an interim title is created Rob has 1 of the 2 spots