The MMA Thread | Jones-Miocic officially set for UFC 309 at MSG in November

beekay414

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Amazing performance by Usman. All this talk about him being boring but man was that exciting or what? Whenever he is forced to throw punches or doesnt have the clear advantage on the ground he is fun to watch. Idk why he wasnt throwing alot of kicks before because his TDD is on point but man he looks good now. Excited to see him fight whoever is next

I think people were a little salty because of the way he fought against Masvidal. But his fight against Colby was a banger as well. When he fights guys that can grapple he has proven to be an exciting striker. 

11 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Jorge vs Usman is an awesome fight. Jorge didn't have the cardio last fight and Usman still couldn't get him to the ground. Tho he hugged him effectively. 

Usman took him down 5 times, in Masvidal's previous 7 fights he got taken down 5 times in total. I like Masvidal but I think Colby and Usman are both terrible matchups for him. I also think that he is slightly overrated tbh. He was coming off of back to back losses against Damien Maia and Stephen Thompson before he went on that 3 fight streak that propelled him into stardom. The first win against Till was impressive but I personally think Till is overrated and he was killing himself to make 170, the Askren KO was an amazing highlight but kind of lucky and Askren quite frankly wasn't even a high level UFC fighter at that point, and he beat a 155 journeyman in Diaz. 

The Askren KO, Leon Edwards confrontation, and Diaz BMF fight definitely propelled him into being a star in terms of drawing power. But when was the last time he actually beat a high level guy?

27 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Usman took him down 5 times, in Masvidal's previous 7 fights he got taken down 5 times in total. I like Masvidal but I think Colby and Usman are both terrible matchups for him.

he got up pretty quickly tho, and stopped six of the 1st seven TD attempts. usman only had 13 ground strikes in the whole fight. usman really couldn't do anything with the TDs nor keep him down. and every time they were striking (not in the clinch) usman look way over matched. he had like 5 days to get ready, so not surprising he didn't have cardio for usman. jorge is prob the only person besides jake shields who spent as much time on the ground with maia and didn't get finished at 170 (lost a split decision and he could've won). usman, colby, and woodley all refused to grapple with maia. askren got washed. magny and gunnar got subbed. condit and brown got subbed. jorge spent most of the fight on the ground with maia and could've easily won, he is a really good grappler. i just don't think he had the cardio to keep up with usman. he prob still won't but he has as good chance as anyone besides burns or colby to beat him 

4 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

he got up pretty quickly tho, and stopped six of the 1st seven TD attempts. usman only had 13 ground strikes in the whole fight. usman really couldn't do anything with the TDs nor keep him down. and every time they were striking (not in the clinch) usman look way over matched. he had like 5 days to get ready, so not surprising he didn't have cardio for usman. jorge is prob the only person besides jake shields who spent as much time on the ground with maia and didn't get finished at 170 (lost a split decision and he could've won). usman, colby, and woodley all refused to grapple with maia. askren got washed. magny and gunnar got subbed. condit and brown got subbed. jorge spent most of the fight on the ground with maia and could've easily won, he is a really good grappler. i just don't think he had the cardio to keep up with usman. he prob still won't but he has as good chance as anyone besides burns or colby to beat him 

47/49 of Masvidal's fights have been 3 rounds or less. His other two fights were lost by decisions after 5 rounds. 

If you look back at the last 5 years Masvidal is 6-5 in his 11 fights with wins over Ross Pearson, Jake Ellenberger, Donald Cerrone, Darren Till, Ben Askren, and Nate Diaz. And with losses to Benson Henderson, Lorenz Larkin, Damian Maia, Stephen Thompson, and Kamaru Usman. 

In his 19 UFC fights he has 6 KO's but one of those KO's was a doctor stoppage against Diaz and another one was his flying knee against Askren. So it's not like he has ever shown to be some elite striking, power puncher that can just take dudes out with one shot. 

Even with a full camp I think the result would be pretty similar in a rematch. Usman would use his cardio and wrestling early to wear Jorge out and then drag him into deep waters with a late finish or a win by decision. 

4 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

he washed nate, it was bad

nate beat conor then had a war in the 2nd fight that some pppl thought nate won. jorge embarrassed him. 

Conor and Nate are both 155ers though, they just happened to fight at 170. Jorge definitely put a beating on Nate but again, Nate's really a LW, and had like 1 win in 3 years coming into the fight. 

26 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

47/49 of Masvidal's fights have been 3 rounds or less. His other two fights were lost by decisions after 5 rounds. 

If you look back at the last 5 years Masvidal is 6-5 in his 11 fights with wins over Ross Pearson, Jake Ellenberger, Donald Cerrone, Darren Till, Ben Askren, and Nate Diaz. And with losses to Benson Henderson, Lorenz Larkin, Damian Maia, Stephen Thompson, and Kamaru Usman. 

In his 19 UFC fights he has 6 KO's but one of those KO's was a doctor stoppage against Diaz and another one was his flying knee against Askren. So it's not like he has ever shown to be some elite striking, power puncher that can just take dudes out with one shot. 

Even with a full camp I think the result would be pretty similar in a rematch. Usman would use his cardio and wrestling early to wear Jorge out and then drag him into deep waters with a late finish or a win by decision. 

This although Jorge is undoubtedly hard to finish. I think it's only happened twice. 

I'm happy I was able to watch a fight that was more entertaining because the fight against Masvidal was atrocious and very ugly to watch from either perspective. It was uglier to watch than Adesanya vs Romero.

1 minute ago, BullsandBroncos said:

This although Jorge is undoubtedly hard to finish. I think it's only happened twice. 

I'm happy I was able to watch a fight that was more entertaining because the fight against Masvidal was atrocious and very ugly to watch from either perspective. It was uglier to watch than Adesanya vs Romero.

He's the third Diaz bro, hard to finish but doesn't really finish guys himself either. 

Yeah that Usman/Masvidal fight was boring as hell, just hugging and foot stomping. I can't see it going much differently this time unless Jorge just catches him early. But again, Jorge hasn't ever really shown to be a guy with that type of ability. And Usman showed last night, the Colby fight, and even the Jorge fight that he can take a shot and recover quickly. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He's the third Diaz bro, hard to finish but doesn't really finish guys himself either. 

Yeah that Usman/Masvidal fight was boring as hell, just hugging and foot stomping. I can't see it going much differently this time unless Jorge just catches him early. But again, Jorge hasn't ever really shown to be a guy with that type of ability. And Usman showed last night, the Colby fight, and even the Jorge fight that he can take a shot and recover quickly. 

I think a lot of it had to do with Burns losing his composure and going full Cody No Love getting too excited trying to go for the finish. Keeps his composure when he had him hurt, who knows what happens.

agreed on Usman and Masvidal fight. Because of the disappointment he left with Masvidal and Woodley, I will never pay for an Usman fight ever. 

He did seem to leave openings for Burns head kicks a lot in the first as well. Maybe Masvidal can exploit that, but who knows. 

I can't deny that he's come a long way in his striking since Covington's fight with him. I think there is less of a chance of Covington winning that one because he has pillow hands

Edited by BullsandBroncos

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think people were a little salty because of the way he fought against Masvidal. But his fight against Colby was a banger as well. When he fights guys that can grapple he has proven to be an exciting striker. 

I get that it wasnt an exciting fight but what did anyone expect? Like when DC fought Rumble, what did you expect? Of course he doesn’t wanna stand with him the whole time. I am curious how another Masvidal fight looks but man his striking looked so much better. Idk who beats him

4 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I'm getting really tired of Rogan and the other commentators throwing GOAT around all the time. Best fight of all time best -weight of all time.

Usman still isn't Matt Hughes or GSP. Even Woodley has 1 more title defense than him. 

THANK YOU

As much as i like Usman after a performance like that i thought the same thing. He could be that some day, he’s young, dominant and ultra talented  but damn not too long ago we said TWood was the GWWOAT

How do you guys rank the GOATs at HW and WW since there's no doubt Rogan, DC, and Anik are going to be throwing these titles around like they're french fries all the time.

I still think GSP and Hughes are above anyone else today at WW. 1 and 2 respectively.

Stipe's defenses at HW have been entertaining but his inactivity is crazy I think. But he's still above Cain. Another one overrated by non other than DC himself. Maybe Cain would've been better if he wasn't told that he was some world beater striking.