The MMA Thread | Jones-Miocic officially set for UFC 309 at MSG in November

beekay414

9 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

I'm sorry what? In what world did Holland do a great job when he got finished in less than half a round and absorbed zero strikes.

Nate would've been a much much tougher fight, regardless of athleticism.

On the scrambles relative to what others have done to Holland and relative to how others were able to fight off Khamzat sans Burns. 

14 minutes ago, Squanchy said:

On the scrambles relative to what others have done to Holland and relative to how others were able to fight off Khamzat sans Burns. 

I'm sorry but there's no sans Burns in this equation, you can't dismiss that fight. Gilbert did a great job, Holland and the rest did not. He scrambled a bit in the first minute but also got taken down three times in the first twenty seconds, then spent the rest of the fight (the remaining 1:12) defending submissions until he tapped. 

Hardly a great performance. Khamzat came out guns blazing and emptied the gas tank because he knew what would happen.

Edited by jetjuice

1 minute ago, jetjuice said:

I'm sorry but there's no sans Burns in this equation, you can't dismiss that fight. Gilbert did a great job, Holland and the rest did not. He scrambled a bit in the first minute but also got taken down three times in the first twenty seconds, then spent the rest of the fight (the remaining 1:12) defending submissions until he tapped. 

Hardly a great performance.

You do understand what “relative” means in this context right? 

Khamzat dominated again.  He had to work a bit more “relative” to his other total dominations.

Holland put up a better fight against a wrestler “relative” to some of his previous fights against wrestlers.  I’m a Khamzat guy, I want him to dominate everyone.  Why can’t some respect be given to Holland for taking this mismatch and scrambling well “relative” to his previous fights?

1 minute ago, Squanchy said:

You do understand what “relative” means in this context right? 

Khamzat dominated again.  He had to work a bit more “relative” to his other total dominations.

Holland put up a better fight against a wrestler “relative” to some of his previous fights against wrestlers.  I’m a Khamzat guy, I want him to dominate everyone.  Why can’t some respect be given to Holland for taking this mismatch and scrambling well “relative” to his previous fights?

Yes I understand what "relative" means, your take is just extremely off-base. 

First you came out saying his performance was great "relative" to how others fared against Khamzat, now you're saying he was great "relative" to his previous bouts vs wrestlers. Either way you're wrong.

This was the fastest he's been finished in his career, and even when he fought wrestlers in a higher weight class like Vettori and Brunson, he at least made it to a decision. Li lasted longer in there with Khamzat.

I respect Holland for taking the fight, it was a bad *** move for him and saved the card, his performance just wasn't good and there's no other way to slice it. Grabbing a whizzer and standing up just to be taken down again immediately is not "great". 

9 hours ago, jetjuice said:

Because Khamzat is not going to wrestlef**k Colby like he did everyone else except Gilbert. And if it's a 5 round fight then it goes more in Colby's favor the longer it goes because cardio is his best weapon and is not a strength of Khamzat. I'd imagine that fight goes more similarly to the Burns fight than anything.

I know why...I guess I just disagree with it.

If Chimaev learned anything from the Burns fight he should easily beat Colby. Colby won't be able to use his wrestling and Chimaev will just walk thru his pillow punches. At the very least id think he could win the first 3 and just survive the last 2. He's just so much bigger and more powerful, not sure Colby's chin will hold us vs someone that has power like that

10 hours ago, jetjuice said:

I really want to see this fight, super intriguing stylistic matchup and the antics leading up to the fight would be insane.

Who's the good guy in this equation, Colby or Khamzat? I'd say Colby, this is like Venom vs Carnage where it's two bad guys but one of them is less bad.

Really depends on just how much of the fan base is pissed at Chimaev now, it wasn't even close that everyone(for the most part) hates Colby and his schtick. 

16 hours ago, jetjuice said:

Yes I understand what "relative" means, your take is just extremely off-base. 

First you came out saying his performance was great "relative" to how others fared against Khamzat, now you're saying he was great "relative" to his previous bouts vs wrestlers. Either way you're wrong.

This was the fastest he's been finished in his career, and even when he fought wrestlers in a higher weight class like Vettori and Brunson, he at least made it to a decision. Li lasted longer in there with Khamzat.

I respect Holland for taking the fight, it was a bad *** move for him and saved the card, his performance just wasn't good and there's no other way to slice it. Grabbing a whizzer and standing up just to be taken down again immediately is not "great". 

You take this way too serious.  Am I not allowed to have my opinion?  Can’t I think your replies are dog**** and “extremely off base”.

Take out the word “great” for my initial reaction and what do you have?  

12 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I know why...I guess I just disagree with it.

If Chimaev learned anything from the Burns fight he should easily beat Colby. Colby won't be able to use his wrestling and Chimaev will just walk thru his pillow punches. At the very least id think he could win the first 3 and just survive the last 2. He's just so much bigger and more powerful, not sure Colby's chin will hold us vs someone that has power like that

I agree, the grappling will negate and Colby will get outstruck. His best chance is a push the pace drag you into deep waters fight against someone with meh cardio.

4 hours ago, Squanchy said:

You take this way too serious.  Am I not allowed to have my opinion?  Can’t I think your replies are dog**** and “extremely off base”.

Take out the word “great” for my initial reaction and what do you have?  

This is a forum, if you can't handle people disagreeing with your opinion then you need thicker skin or probably just shouldn't post at all. I dropped facts and you got offended, I don't know what to tell you. 

Take out the word "great" and you have a guy that got rag dolled and submitted in less than half a round without landing a single strike. My point. 

1 hour ago, jetjuice said:

This is a forum, if you can't handle people disagreeing with your opinion then you need thicker skin or probably just shouldn't post at all. I dropped facts and you got offended, I don't know what to tell you. 

Take out the word "great" and you have a guy that got rag dolled and submitted in less than half a round without landing a single strike. My point. 

Offended?  Thin skin?  Funny that’s what I was thinking about you lol

Dropping facts?  You do realize I agree with those facts right?  You’re acting like me being surprised at what transpired as a definitive.  If you can’t handle someone’s opinion on a subject without getting all jumpy maybe you shouldn’t be on “discussion” boards.  Where all im saying was I was impressed by what Holland did because I thought he sucked the fattest **** on defense. 

When you look through the lens of strictly results based then yes I agree it was total and utter dominance.  I don’t get how you’re so thrown off by this concept I thought he did better than I thought while still getting his *** whooped.  I thought he’d get his *** whooped even faster by Khamzat.  

To make sure we’re even talking about the same thing.  Im not talking about the result or even the fight as a whole. Im talking about some nuances.  I apologize oh great lord of mma for using words like great while typing on an iPad on a message board.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jetjuice said:

I agree, the grappling will negate and Colby will get outstruck. His best chance is a push the pace drag you into deep waters fight against someone with meh cardio.

Stupid question and I know I sound like a Chimaev nut-hugger but are we so sure he won't just take Colby down and smesh? I mean Colby offers no BJJ threat that Burns did

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Stupid question and I know I sound like a Chimaev nut-hugger but are we so sure he won't just take Colby down and smesh? I mean Colby offers no BJJ threat that Burns did

It's not a stupid question, it's valid. Burns didn't really get to put his BJJ on Khamzat but it did help in certain sequences from a defensive standpoint in that first round, so Khamzat got discouraged (and/or tired) and decided to slug it out. Burns also has great wrestling and takedown D which I think was more on display and more similar to how Colby fights. 

The thing about Khamzat is that he's not a dumb fighter, he's actually quite smart in the octagon. He knows what his path of least resistance is and if there's any clear advantage in this fight, it's most likely Khamzat's striking. If Usman wasn't able to take Colby down in 10 rounds, I don't see Khamzat faring much better.

Edited by jetjuice

13 hours ago, Squanchy said:

Offended?  Thin skin?  Funny that’s what I was thinking about you lol

Dropping facts?  You do realize I agree with those facts right?  You’re acting like me being surprised at what transpired as a definitive.  If you can’t handle someone’s opinion on a subject without getting all jumpy maybe you shouldn’t be on “discussion” boards.  Where all im saying was I was impressed by what Holland did because I thought he sucked the fattest **** on defense. 

When you look through the lens of strictly results based then yes I agree it was total and utter dominance.  I don’t get how you’re so thrown off by this concept I thought he did better than I thought while still getting his *** whooped.  I thought he’d get his *** whooped even faster by Khamzat.  

To make sure we’re even talking about the same thing.  Im not talking about the result or even the fight as a whole. Im talking about some nuances.  I apologize oh great lord of mma for using words like great while typing on an iPad on a message board.

I'm not the one crying about someone calling out my ice-cold take, I'm just trying to educate you my guy. I have zero emotional attachment to this discussion but it's clearly upsetting you so I'll let it go. 

Do I get what you're saying? Yes, he showed a few new things, but minor improvements that ultimately still result in the same outcome as guys like Li Jingliang and Rhys Phillips is A) not great by any means, and B) shows that Holland still has a LOT of work to do in the grappling department. Khamzat out here exposing fake black belts.

I think more can be attributed to the fact that Holland is now fighting in his proper weight class compared to when he got laid on by Brunson & others, and the way this one played out was basically a sprint to the finish from the opening seconds of the fight. Both guys had much more explosiveness in their gas tank to start off as intense as they did which I think had more to do with how Holland was able to "defend," but at the end of the day he got put back down immediately after getting to his feet (he's the longer fighter so he should be able to get up easier), got taken down three times in 20 seconds, and landed zero strikes. The bout ended with DC explaining how Chimaev did that because he had no respect for Holland's wrestling (rightfully so) and that it looked like the equivalent of DC shooting on Dana White. Listen to the champ champ.

I'll say this much, your take isn't nearly as wild as the guy a few pages back who tried suggesting that Khabib (of all people lol) is the one telling Khamzat to play the heel to sell the fights. Khabib and Khamzat have zero affiliation and don't exactly get along. That one deserved a couple of these 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡

3 hours ago, jetjuice said:

I'm not the one crying about someone calling out my ice-cold take, I'm just trying to educate you my guy. I have zero emotional attachment to this discussion but it's clearly upsetting you so I'll let it go. 

Do I get what you're saying? Yes, he showed a few new things, but minor improvements that ultimately still result in the same outcome as guys like Li Jingliang and Rhys Phillips is A) not great by any means, and B) shows that Holland still has a LOT of work to do in the grappling department. Khamzat out here exposing fake black belts.

I think more can be attributed to the fact that Holland is now fighting in his proper weight class compared to when he got laid on by Brunson & others, and the way this one played out was basically a sprint to the finish from the opening seconds of the fight. Both guys had much more explosiveness in their gas tank to start off as intense as they did which I think had more to do with how Holland was able to "defend," but at the end of the day he got put back down immediately after getting to his feet (he's the longer fighter so he should be able to get up easier), got taken down three times in 20 seconds, and landed zero strikes. The bout ended with DC explaining how Chimaev did that because he had no respect for Holland's wrestling (rightfully so) and that it looked like the equivalent of DC shooting on Dana White. Listen to the champ champ.

I'll say this much, your take isn't nearly as wild as the guy a few pages back who tried suggesting that Khabib (of all people lol) is the one telling Khamzat to play the heel to sell the fights. Khabib and Khamzat have zero affiliation and don't exactly get along. That one deserved a couple of these 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡

I mean..what a stretch to think that Khabib might counsel Khamzat seeing as how they were both managed by the same guy, are both Daegestani, and are both Muslim (cue the eye roll)

I get that they haven't been on the same page, but I'm pretty sure I read that Abdeleez has said the Chimaev considers Khabib like an older brother.

Khabib went about his business like Stipe....no talking nonsense, no dumb ish...but that doesn't get you paid unfortunately.  Pardon me for thinking that Chimaev is taking the opposite approach to get that Mcgregor like heel money.

The part that I got wrong is that Khabib would have advised him to do so.....

The clown show has been your previous comments in this thread....