The MMA Thread | Poatan saves 303

beekay414

3 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I completely agree with this!  He also will eventually have to beat the pound for pound best fighter in the world to claim a championship in the near future (Usman).  That will not be some easy task.

I'm excited to see Chimaev fight some top level competition. He has absolutely ran through everyone he has fought so far, wish Leon would've taken the fight. Stylistically though he's going to be a tough fight for anyone although I do wonder how well his striking will hold up if he fights someone with good take down defense that can keep the fight standing. 

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Islam certainly looks to be championship level. Chimaev has to do it against top guys before I'm ready to buy into the hype. 

I feel like both have fought similar levels of competition. I know Hooker is better than anyone Chimaev has fought but neither has a resume that separates themselves much

9 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I feel like both have fought similar levels of competition. I know Hooker is better than anyone Chimaev has fought but neither has a resume that separates themselves much

Islam is 21-1 overall and 11-1 in the UFC coming off of two wins against ranked opponents. Chimaev is 10-0 overall and 4-0 in the UFC with one win against a ranked opponent. Islam has more wins in the UFC then Chimaev has total MMA bouts.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Islam is 21-1 overall and 11-1 in the UFC coming off of two wins against ranked opponents. Chimaev is 10-0 overall and 4-0 in the UFC with one win against a ranked opponent. Islam has more wins in the UFC then Chimaev has total MMA bouts.

Thats all well and good but lets not act like most of those fights were any good

Just now, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Thats all well and good but lets not act like most of those fights were any good

I think a 10 fight winning streak capped by 3 straight finishes, two against ranked opponents, puts you into title contention. Chimaev hasn't fought anyone good.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I think a 10 fight winning streak capped by 3 straight finishes, two against ranked opponents, puts you into title contention. Chimaev hasn't fought anyone good.

Havent they both fought 2 ranked opponents? I'm not disagreeing that Islam's resume is better but I do think its not impressive enough to get a title shot

2 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Havent they both fought 2 ranked opponents? I'm not disagreeing that Islam's resume is better but I do think its not impressive enough to get a title shot

Chimaev has only fought one ranked opponent. His other 3 UFC bouts were against journeymen prelim level fighters. 

2 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I just want to see Dana have them fight someone who isn't strictly a kick boxer on a ufc contract 

Olives/Dustin winner vs Gaethje

Dariush-Islam

Chandler-Mcgregor

Hooker vs Olives/Poirier loser

RDA-Gillespie

What to do with Olives/Poirier loser/Hooker, that one doesnt feel right

Usman vs Leon

Chimaev v Burns

Colby v Luque

Wonderboy v Brady/Chiesa winner

Diaz v Masvidal 2

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said: