The MMA Thread | Poatan saves 303

beekay414

9 hours ago, Soggust said:

Pav underdog surprises me.

It's obviously bc Vegas is smarter than me and knows something I don't (I'm worst MMA bettor in world), but on paper it seems like Blayes is prone to walking into big shots and, although it seems Pavlovich will be at a disadvantage on the ground (idk his background), I have to believe being Russian he won't be inept in the wrestling department (maybe that's racist?). 

It does have the feel of a hot prospect getting smushed by the gatekeeper, in some regards, but I have already accepted that I'm losing some money tomorrow.

Alexander Volkov ring a bell? lol

Is Blaydes that prone to it? Yes, Lewis put him into the shadow realm and Ngannou did Ngannou things but to me I wouldnt call him chiny. With that said, the best chins wont stand up to Pav if he lands his big shots.  

9 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Alexander Volkov ring a bell? lol

I don't think he's particularly inept (esp for an m1 guy and certainly did well vs Romanov), but I still think that this is a fair point.

We aren't comparing him to mediocre level grapplers, but to Curtis Blayes (who pav is fighting). So in hindsight, being basically competent isn't going to be enough here.

But regardless, it turns out Sergei has been training wrestling/sambo since 5 lol. 

I feel a bit more confident now, but again, it's no knock on Blaydes. I like Blaydes and I agree he's more inconsistent than chinny. This just seems like a bad stylistic matchup for him, imo. 

Edited by Soggust

Is Blaydes fight iq that bad?  He didn’t try a shot until after he was wobbled multiple times.  I was rooting for Sirjee though. (As Chael calls him). He’s another like Charles that if he spoke English he’d be a lot bigger than he is.  

2 hours ago, Squanchy said:

Is Blaydes fight iq that bad?  He didn’t try a shot until after he was wobbled multiple times.  I was rooting for Sirjee though. (As Chael calls him). He’s another like Charles that if he spoke English he’d be a lot bigger than he is.  

I just think Pavlovich is a real problem, personally. Him vs Jones (or Ngannou!) is the fight to make, imo, but ofc we are getting Stipe again and probably a Jones retirement lol. 

I said before the fight that I like Blaydes and I feel the same now. He's just not quite at that level at this point in his career. He's got a unique skillset, but it's caveated at HW because entries are much tougher when dudes hit so hard and cardio is more taxing if you miss the attempt (esp in 5 rounder).

But if you end up waiting too long to shoot and find a perfect shot, you're prone to getting hit anyway and it seems like Blaydes can never quite figure it out in the biggest fights.

I will also throw out there that seemed to me like Pav was throwing a lot of chest-high straights and uppercuts anytime Blaydes was within range to shoot. I really liked his gameplan in this one.

Edited by Soggust

10 hours ago, Squanchy said:

Right? I thought exactly the same thing. I get that he needed to win via finish to get the stamp on it he needs to elevate himself but winning via GnP works all the same to the UFC

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Poatan saves 303