Russell Okung files complaint against NFLPA with National Labor Relations Board

RuskieTitan

On 3/9/2020 at 5:32 PM, RuskieTitan said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28872617/russell-okung-files-complaint-nflpa-nlrb

Unbelievable. The NFLPA has got to be the worst players union in all of professional sports. They let the owners walk over them with demands; they disregarded the executive committee's recommendation not once, but TWICE; and then they shove the vote out to all the players DESPITE NOT MEETING THE REQUIRED TWO-THIRDS VOTE!

For the record, 17 votes in favor is just 53.125% of the vote; they would need 22 out of 32 to reach the two-thirds threshold.

I can totally understand why some players have been outraged recently, and frankly, even if the deal does get somehow 'passed' with a majority, it wouldn't surprise me if some of the player base revolted / went on strike. It's clear that some folks in the NFLPA are using this as an opportunity to further their own agenda, at the expense of all the players.

Hopefully the media reports on this issue fairly, given how neglectful some of the leadership of the NFLPA has been in following their own established guidelines, and doesn't just bend to the will of the NFL (i.e. Owners).

I think I will finally die of laughter.

8 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

And you’re still better off then me in public safety. Teachers at least can strike if they don’t reach a contract agreement. We are legally prohibited from striking. The most toothless union in all the land. 

Not in Oklahoma. We gave up that double-edged right over 20 years ago. It is now illegal in this state for us to do that. 

I say double-edged because it's hard to win over the sympathy of the parents when they have to find somewhere to put there kids while they work. 

• Like 1

The owners are smart.  They loaded up on benefits for the rookies and bottom of the roster guys that only have 1-3 years left in the union for the most part and aren't giving the stars what they want which costs astronomically more.  The stars are the minority in the union, so that's why there is a real chance this passes. 

If you're a back of the roster guy do you want to miss possibly your last year in the NFL so Lamar Jackson can get a other $40 million when he signs his extension?  Especially when there is a deal on the table that will triple your salary?