Houston Texans re-sign TE Darren Fells

Dome

The Houston Texans have agreed to re-sign tight end Darren Fells and kicker Ka'imi Fairbairn, sources confirmed to ESPN.

Fells' two-year deal, which was first reported by NFL Network, includes $4 million in the first year, the source told ESPN. Fairbairn's contract is for four years, a source told ESPN, confirming a report by the Houston Chronicle.

Fells, who turns 34 on April 22, is coming off the best season of his six-year NFL career.

The former professional basketball player had a career-best 34 catches for 341 yards and seven touchdowns for Houston in 2019, establishing a strong connection with quarterback Deshaun Watson while setting a franchise record for touchdowns by a tight end in a season.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28877014/source-te-darren-fells-re-sign-texans-two-year-deal-career-year

• Like 2

Unless he's now the highest paid TE in football (which is a possibility, because BoB) I like this re-sign. Fells was a big time safety valve for Watson...

Edit - $4mm in the first year. In line with Tyler Eifert. I'll take it. 

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, tab said:

we have so many tight ends!! I love what he did for us last year though and I'm glad we didnt let him walk out the door

I think Jordan Thomas is probably on his way out. Akins is a really big WR moreso than a TE and Kahale Warring is going to get every opportunity to be the TE of the future.

• Like 1