The NOT Too Early 2018 NFL Draft Thread

turtle28

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

We've never taken an OLB in the first round, and we've never taken a speed edge rusher.  

We took Orakpo and Kerrigan in round 1 since 09. Orakpo was a speed rusher. He just had an injury and then he re-injured it and we didn’t keep him.

I’m not saying never draft another OLB, I’m just saying can we address some other needs? Can we take a year off from taking an OLB in round 1 or 2 and address our run defense and ILB?

It just seems like overkill to me at one positon and because we keep drafting OLbs in round 1 or 2, other areas of our team are lacking.

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

@Woz I think if we fix the run defense by adding a run stuffer for first and second downs ans short yardage that it make our defense a lot better. It’s been a continuous problem with our defense since we switched to the 3-4. 

Yes, we can possibly find a short term or long term answer at NT in FA or later in the draft, but this forum has talked about doing that since 2010 and it just hasn’t happened.

So instead of hoping and praying that we solve the problem in the mid rounds or free agency like we have for 7 out of 8 years since we switched to the 3-4, let’s actually get a stud that the position. 

Or follow my idea (that was stolen (it was MINE I tell you! MINEMINEMINE!!! ... no I don't accept your suggestion that the thief came up with it independently of my brilliance), written up and linked to by @oldman9er)

i.e. move to a base of a 4-2-5 and work to get the personnel that make that work!

Just now, turtle28 said:

We took Orakpo and Kerrigan in round 1 since 09. Orakpo was a speed rusher. He just had an injury and then he re-injured it and we didn’t keep him.

I’m not saying never draft another OLB, I’m just saying can we address some other needs? Can we take a year off from taking an OLB in round 1 or 2 and address our run defense and ILB?

It just seems like overkill to me at one positon and because we keep drafting OLbs I’m round 1 or 2, other areas of our team are lacking.

Orakpo was drafted nine years ago. Kerrigan was drafted seven years ago. It might just be time.

Again, I'm not against drafting an ILB (it will be my highest priority if the Redskins don't re-sign Zach Brown). But I'm flexible in what happens.

27 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

It just seems like overkill to me at one positon and because we keep drafting OLbs I’m round 1 or 2, other areas of our team are lacking.

We haven't found a stud pass rusher.  

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Or follow my idea (that was stolen (it was MINE I tell you! MINEMINEMINE!!! ... no I don't accept your suggestion that the thief came up with it independently of my brilliance), written up and linked to by @oldman9er)

i.e. move to a base of a 4-2-5 and work to get the personnel that make that work!

We have that personnel already, we run it 70% of the time get run over constantly. We need a true nose

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

We haven't found a stud pass rusher.  

Sure but we’ve founds 4 good ones since 09 and signed a good one when we signed Galette too. We let one leave in FA - Orakpo - and will probably lose Galette in FA. 

Again, for me we are fine at the position.  I’m almost certain the team feels the same way, we aren’t going to move on from then guys we have just yet and maybe not for their entire careers if Smith has another 8 sack season or better. 

We have Kerrigan who gets double digit sacks every year and Smith who’s come close in 2 of his first 3 seasons. I don’t remember anyone claiming we should move on from Kerrigan so soon when he wasn’t getting double digit sacks right away in his career.

Also, if we re-sign Murphy and he is healthy we’ll have another OLB who has put up near a double digit sack season. With Smith and Murphy, we have 2 other guys who have come close to double digit sacks recently. Smith is 2015 & 17 and Murphy in 2016 and we have Anderson developing.

We have Jonathan Allen, Ioannidis and Lanier as good interior pass rushers and if we re-sign Zach Brown we’ll have a good to great pass rusher from the ILB position.

Its not as big of a problem as you make it out to be, especially if we re-sign Murphy.

We need a run stuffer on defense. A man in the middle so trans don’t average 5 ypc or close on us.

15 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Sure but we’ve founds 4 good ones since 09 and signed a good one when we signed Galette too. We let one leave in FA - Orakpo - and will probably lose Galette in FA. 

Again, for me we are fine at the position.  I’m almost certain the team feels the same way, we aren’t going to move on from then guys we have just yet and maybe not for their entire careers if Smith has another 8 sack season or better. 

We have Kerrigan who gets double digit sacks every year and Smith who’s come close in 2 of his first 3 seasons. I don’t remember anyone claiming we should move on from Kerrigan so soon when he wasn’t getting double digit sacks right away in his career.

Also, if we re-sign Murphy and he is healthy we’ll have another OLB who has put up near a double digit sack season. With Smith and Murphy, we have 2 other guys who have come close to double digit sacks recently. Smith is 2015 & 17 and Murphy in 2016 and we have Anderson developing.

We have Jonathan Allen, Ioannidis and Lanier as good interior pass rushers and if we re-sign Zach Brown we’ll have a good to great pass rusher from the ILB position.

Its not as big of a problem as you make it out to be, especially if we re-sign Murphy.

We need a run stuffer on defense. A man in the middle so trans don’t average 5 ypc or close on us.

- Of the 4 you mention, only Kerrigan and Smith are under contract this year.  

- Smith only has 1 year left on his deal. 

- Ryan Anderson has shown nothing.

- Trent Murphy has done nothing except the year he cheated.  He's also a free agent.  

2 hours ago, Woz said:

Orakpo was drafted nine years ago. Kerrigan was drafted seven years ago. It might just be time.

Again, I'm not against drafting an ILB (it will be my highest priority if the Redskins don't re-sign Zach Brown). But I'm flexible in what happens.

Yes, but when a poster says “we’ve never taken an OLB in round 1 and never taken a speed pas rusher” I can’t just not respond to that because it’s not accurate.

Its not time, we drafted Smith to replace Orakpo and in two of his first three seasons he’s gotten 8 sacks. Last year he was on pace for more than 8 sacks and on pace to get more than Kerrigan before Jon Allen went down. 

Kerrigan hasn’t shown any signs of slowing down and we should re-sign Murphy who had a good 2016 - yes I know PEDs - but evenso, from LOLB he’s shown that he “could” be Kerrigan’s replacement there. And, I know people don’t have faith in Anderson’s development but we did draft him in round 2 last year and we need to see what he develops into before going back to the well... again!!! IMO 

I’m pretty flexible in who we take in round 1 except for trying to replace a guy who’s been a good player for us already. It’s just unnecessary. We could make the team stronger by addressing a positon of more weakness in the draft and going in a different direction.

7 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

- Of the 4 you mention, only Kerrigan and Smith are under contract this year.  

- Smith only has 1 year left on his deal. 

- Ryan Anderson has shown nothing.

- Trent Murphy has done nothing except the year he cheated.  He's also a free agent.  

No doubt but that’s why we need to give it one more year to see what happens with the guys we currently have. If Smith goes out and has a season like he had in 2016 with less than 5 sacks and we keep Murphy and he doesn’t look good this year then I’m game for taking an OLB with our first round pick in 2019 but not this year.

Continuing to discuss this with you seems pointless. I’m not changing my position and neither are you. 

I’d rather take an OG in round 1 this year than take an OLB and we both know how much I hate that idea.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

We have that personnel already, we run it 70% of the time get run over constantly. We need a true nose

Yes, so if we have that personnel group and run it more than 2/3s of the time, why not just make it the main base and not worry about getting a 3-4 nose? Allen would work just fine as a 4-3 nose.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

No doubt but that’s why we need to give it one more year to see what happens with the guys we currently have. If Smith goes out and has a season like he had in 2016 with less than 5 sacks and we keep Murphy and he doesn’t look good this year then I’m game for taking an OLB with our first round pick in 2019 but not this year.

Except Murphy will be long gone before the Redskins know if Smith is going to have a good or bad season.

Have the Redskins force themselves to focus on OLB is not any better than forcing them to focus on QB. Do not create self-induced positional myopia.

I’d rather take an OG in round 1 this year than take an OLB and we both know how much I hate that idea.

? Why would you hate taking a guard in round 1? That's a pretty big need for the team right now.

7 minutes ago, Woz said:

Yes, so if we have that personnel group and run it more than 2/3s of the time, why not just make it the main base and not worry about getting a 3-4 nose? Allen would work just fine as a 4-3 nose.

I think Ioannidis would be the 4-3 nose, with Allen being the 3 tech pass rusher.  

Kerrigan hasn’t shown any signs of slowing down and we should re-sign Murphy who had a good 2016 - yes I know PEDs - but evenso, from LOLB he’s shown that he “could” be Kerrigan’s replacement there. And, I know people don’t have faith in Anderson’s development but we did draft him in round 2 last year and we need to see what he develops into before going back to the well... again!!! IMO 

Okay, the Redskins could re-sign Murphy. But what if they don't? What if they let Galette walk as well?

As for Anderson, how long of a chain does he get? Through 2018? What if he's kept off the field by Smith? Through 2019? The Redskins could be three quarters of the way through his rookie contract before realizing that he was a bust, and then having to force the pick in 2021?

I’m pretty flexible in who we take in round 1 except for trying to replace a guy who’s been a good player for us already. It’s just unnecessary. We could make the team stronger by addressing a positon of more weakness in the draft and going in a different direction.

I hear what you're saying, but it is the same reason they took both Fuller and Moreau in 2016 and 2017. By having the depth at corner, they could have afforded to let Breeland walk this season. (that was the plan at least until Moron blew it up ...)

4 minutes ago, Woz said:

Why would you hate taking a guard in round 1? That's a pretty big need for the team right now.

- This is a very deep free agent class for Guards.

- Our current Oline (when healthy) has been pretty good.  

- We really need to spend two top 15 overall picks on Guards?

Archived