Looking For A Router

YOUHATEME

So I wasn’t totally sure if this was the best place to post this, so if a mod wants to move it, feel free. 

Basically I need to get a router for my home. There’s 3 smart TVs, about 5 phones and then there’s me, who wants to play his PS4 online without being called a cheater or a lag switcher. So if any of y’all techies out there could suggest a solid router for me I would be very appreciative. I’ve been looking around for about a week and I’m just not sold on anything. Please and thanks in advance! 

Ok I need to know how many people are in your household, how many computers/tablets etc. Your internet provider and what your speeds are right now.

Edit: also budget 

Edit2: Location/State for general reasons. 

Edited by SwoleXmad
Calvert is a smartman.

As far as budget I am personally not concerned, I know it’s gonna be a little bit, but the wife is the one concerned. So let’s say $100? Or honestly if you feel like there is something worth it that may be like 120? I’d go over my budget a smidge if you felt like it was worth it. 

The second post asking about people etc., 4 adults and 2 kids, 3 smart TVs, my PS4, 5-6 smart phones, 1 tablet and 0 desktop computers but one laptop that doesn’t get used much. We have AT&T and right now my download and upload speeds FOR MY PS4 are 920.9 kbps and 184.5 kbps. Let me know where I could get a better reading because that’s from testing my connection on my PS4.

Edit: location is California, if I need to be more specific please tell me lol

Edited by YOUHATEME
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, YOUHATEME said:

As far as budget I am personally not concerned, I know it’s gonna be a little bit, but the wife is the one concerned. So let’s say $100? Or honestly if you feel like there is something worth it that may be like 120? I’d go over my budget a smidge if you felt like it was worth it. 

The second post asking about people etc., 4 adults and 2 kids, 3 smart TVs, my PS4, 5-6 smart phones, 1 tablet and 0 desktop computers but one laptop that doesn’t get used much. We have AT&T and right now my download and upload speeds FOR MY PS4 are 920.9 kbps and 184.5 kbps. Let me know where I could get a better reading because that’s from testing my connection on my PS4.

Edit: location is California, if I need to be more specific please tell me lol

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC1750-Smart-WiFi-Router/dp/B079JD7F7G?tag=wpcentralb-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUdUnU53516YYwYg - The Cheap do it all router that should work for your family. Though with the amount of devices and people I'd suggest potentially hooking up/looking into Ethernet for the devices that support it (Specifically the PS4 and smart TVs if possible) Cause those download speeds are atrocious. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ASUS-Dual-Band-3-x-3-AC1750-Wi-Fi-4-Port-Gigabit-Router-RT-AC66U-B1/154404292?irgwc=1&sourceid=imp_1V6SwLUVYxyOWlNwUx0Mo38VUki2hpy5RWZ21Q0&veh=aff&wmlspartner=imp_10915&clickid=1V6SwLUVYxyOWlNwUx0Mo38VUki2hpy5RWZ21Q0 - The slightly better quality with a brand I'd recommend. 

• Like 1

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-R6700-Nighthawk-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00R2AZLD2/ref=sr_1_3?crid=42ND65BWRUDE&dchild=1&keywords=nighthawk+router&qid=1587475408&s=electronics&sprefix=nighthaw%2Celectronics%2C145&sr=1-3

I've bought this router twice so far (one for myself, one for my parents house when they were asking for one) and haven't been disappointed. I was previously using the rental router that my ISP gave me and it was atrocious- it didn't even support my full DL speed. After switching to this one, my WiFi DL speed went from maybe 60Mb/s to ~110Mb/s

Edited by elevators_rule
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, elevators_rule said:

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-R6700-Nighthawk-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00R2AZLD2/ref=sr_1_3?crid=42ND65BWRUDE&dchild=1&keywords=nighthawk+router&qid=1587475408&s=electronics&sprefix=nighthaw%2Celectronics%2C145&sr=1-3

I've bought this router twice so far (one for myself, one for my parents house when they were asking for one) and haven't been disappointed. I was previously using the rental router that my ISP gave me and it was atrocious- it didn't even support my full DL speed. After switching to this one, my WiFi DL speed went from maybe 60Mb/s to ~110Mb/s

I'll endorse the Nighthawks as well. I got the AC1900 and its a great router for our household. 

25 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

I've been extremely happy with my Nighthawk and get excellent speeds throughout my entire, plaster filled, house. I can give more details if you'd like but it's a couple years old so I'm sure there's better tech then than what I have

Which model do you have? I’ve been looking around for days and everything seems to have overwhelmingly bad reviews. Even the expensive routers, so I’m confused at this point lol

1 minute ago, YOUHATEME said:

Which model do you have? I’ve been looking around for days and everything seems to have overwhelmingly bad reviews. Even the expensive routers, so I’m confused at this point lol

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6700V2.aspx

I can't say enough good things about this. Had it 2+ years and it just works. I've rarely had to reboot it and get great speeds throughout my house with no need for any WAPs. Everyone's experiences are different with technology obviously but this is where I'm at. Granted it's just my wife and I but we have YouTube TV and about 10 devices linked at one time on a daily basis (phones, Nest, Rings, Rokus, laptops etc). 

49 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6700V2.aspx

I can't say enough good things about this. Had it 2+ years and it just works. I've rarely had to reboot it and get great speeds throughout my house with no need for any WAPs. Everyone's experiences are different with technology obviously but this is where I'm at. Granted it's just my wife and I but we have YouTube TV and about 10 devices linked at one time on a daily basis (phones, Nest, Rings, Rokus, laptops etc). 

Maybe it’s just me wanting the ‘better’ product, but would you say a newer or higher capacity model would be faster or better if I’m gaming wirelessly? 

39 minutes ago, YOUHATEME said:

Maybe it’s just me wanting the ‘better’ product, but would you say a newer or higher capacity model would be faster or better if I’m gaming wirelessly? 

I wish I could provide info on that. I don't game online but I've been told me speeds would suffice it I wanted to. Ultimately I'd like to leave that up to someone who has experience. Sorry I can't help there

28 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

I wish I could provide info on that. I don't game online but I've been told me speeds would suffice it I wanted to. Ultimately I'd like to leave that up to someone who has experience. Sorry I can't help there

No worries brotha all info is welcome and useful to me. It’s just really frustrating to see so many bad reviews on the newer models of routers. I want a ‘good’ one I just don’t wanna buy it, set it up, THEN find out it sucks or something. Because a lot of the reviews I’m reading are of people complaining after less than a month. I can’t just drop 150-200 on a router if it’s gonna suck in a month. Lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, YOUHATEME said:

No worries brotha all info is welcome and useful to me. It’s just really frustrating to see so many bad reviews on the newer models of routers. I want a ‘good’ one I just don’t wanna buy it, set it up, THEN find out it sucks or something. Because a lot of the reviews I’m reading are of people complaining after less than a month. I can’t just drop 150-200 on a router if it’s gonna suck in a month. Lol

I bought mine on a lightning deal from Amazon a couple years ago and can't say one bad thing about it. My speeds over a 1,900 sq ft house, where the router is in one corner, are 4x what is recommended for online gaming. That's about the best I can do for info lol. Like I said though, everyone's experience is different. I hope you find something that works!

Edit: 43k reviews on Amazon with 4.5 stars also. Still kinda expensive for 3 year old tech though

Edited by JTagg7754