1.31 - MIN: Jeff Gladney CB/TCU (Jersey #20)

RpMc

Good video showing a couple of the reason's why Gladney was an excellent fit for the Vikings.

Excellent ability to mirror and match the receiver, good understanding of leverage and knowing where his help is, and ability to pattern match after the distribution of routes.  The last is huge within the Zimmer defense, and Gladney coming from TCU where they play a lot of match quarters coverage will have him ahead of the curve in terms of understanding coverages in our scheme.

Combine that with his demeanor and physicality and it's easy to see why he was among the most commonly mocked players to the Vikings during the lead up to the draft.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Combine that with his demeanor and physicality and it's easy to see why he was among the most commonly mocked players to the Vikings during the lead up to the draft.

I wasn't sure if his age was going to be deterrent for the Vikings as they shy towards younger players. He pretty much checked all the other boxes.

A couple of things:

1. I think the Vikings threw out his 3 cone drill as a 7.24 3 cone is really not his true foot quickness ability.

2. On the draft cal last night, Rick said Gladney has 33 inch arms. Which I found interesting because combine he measured at 31 7/8 which is still above average for a CB for arm length, but not the insane 33 inch arm length. 

1 minute ago, RpMc said:

Not sure what I should take away from this stat. The lack of targets theoretically is a good thing because the CB is denying the QB to not even think about looking his way. On the other hand, the more targets means the more data to see how the cb plays the balls and reacts in those situations. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

On the draft cal last night, Rick said Gladney has 33 inch arms. Which I found interesting because combine he measured at 31 7/8 which is still above average for a CB for arm length, but not the insane 33 inch arm length. 

I learned from listening to Gil Brandt that arm length is actually an often subjective measurement. 

Apparently when the arm extended there’s a notch that you can feel on top of the shoulder, and that’s where they measure the tape from to the finger tips. So, a lot of times teams have a wide range of a player’s arm length. 

Gladney does have a 75.25” wing span. So, that would indicate some long arms on a guy who’s 5’10”. 

4 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Not sure what I should take away from this stat. The lack of targets theoretically is a good thing because the CB is denying the QB to not even think about looking his way. On the other hand, the more targets means the more data to see how the cb plays the balls and reacts in those situations. 

I’d be interested in seeing the passer rating when targeted. 

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

I think my favorite thing about Gladney is his personality on the field. 

He reminds me of Antoine Winfield in that respect. 

He definitely likes to mix it up like winfield and doesn't shy away from run support.

But...let's just draft winfield jr anyways :)

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Krauser said:

Would the team be better off not replacing a starting corner and the most explosive player on their offense?

Treading water is usually better than the alternative.  

:S

Perhaps I am ignorant about swimming, but when the race is not yet over isn't it a lot better to be swimming forward? When I watch the swimming in the Olympics, which is the only time I watch it, I only see the contestants treading water briefly before the start of the race, and only then if it is backstroke, or after the race. But usually after the race they hang onto the edge or the a lane line. I imagine if I watches much lower level competition I might see someone treading water but that is not a a good sign. Treading water is not better than the alternative -- moving forward.  I suppose it is better than going backward or sinking, if that is what you were suggesting.

Anyhow, I never meant to suggest it was a bad thing to those lost pieces. It is better to be making progress towards the goal though. I understand that the Vikings should not have been expected to foresee the loss of Diggs.

At some point the Vikings are going to have to make progress. Changing strategy or vision might be needed rather than simply trying to backfill.