Doug Marrone and his future with the Jaguars

.Buzz

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, iPwn said:

Happily surprised with the job the Defensive staff has done.

Think the entire offensive staff/Marrone still have reason to be let go.

Offensive staff is still in question for me, but Marrone has been miles better than anything we've had in years so far and this team loves him. I'm on the Marrone train.

23 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Offensive staff is still in question for me, but Marrone has been miles better than anything we've had in years so far and this team loves him. I'm on the Marrone train.

I think our rb coach is fine as the only problem we had with him was the rb rotation and he seemingly got his head removed from his butt

Just now, LinderFournette said:

I think our rb coach is fine as the only problem we had with him was the rb rotation and he seemingly got his head removed from his butt

Ivory looks better than last year. Fournette looks great. So I'd agree.

Also, the OL coach I think has gotten way more out of this OL than what most had expected. It's still not great, but Cann/Parnell were atrocious last year and this year they have been much improved imo. Had Shatley in there today replacing our best OL in Linder, along with a rookie LT. I think Pat Flaherty has done a great job.

I'm just not sold on the OC and the QBC obviously hasn't helped Blake what so ever. Guess he's not throwing interceptions but he also is barely throwing the ball/missing badly to try and not throw them.

16 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

I didn’t pay complete attention to it this week, so I’ll wait for the numbers to be certain, but I still feel like they’re pulling Fournette on passing downs way too much.

2 minutes ago, iPwn said:

I didn’t pay complete attention to it this week, so I’ll wait for the numbers to be certain, but I still feel like they’re pulling Fournette on passing downs way too much.

There was a few not so great blocks on 3rd down when he was in there though. He needs to sure that up. Plus, Ivory has actually been surprisingly ok here and there too. I know he's a 4th overall pick and all but I'm not too greatly enthused about the idea of him having 30-35 carries + a couple catches a game. Think yesterday was pretty good.

Just now, iPwn said:

I know a lot might not want to hear it, but it seems like Keenan has done a horrendous job with the receivers too.

Yeah, the WR's have not looked good. Very sad/unfortunate as I love Keenan but the early returns aren't good.

Just now, .Buzz said:

There was a few not so great blocks on 3rd down when he was in there though. He needs to sure that up. Plus, Ivory has actually been surprisingly ok here and there too. I know he's a 4th overall pick and all but I'm not too greatly enthused about the idea of him having 30-35 carries + a couple catches a game. Think yesterday was pretty good.

I don’t think we need to have him with a ton of catches or to do a ton, but just his value being on the field as a distraction is great. Go back and check that screen to Lewis and watch what the defense did. They didn’t flood to Blake like a screen normally works, they sniffed out the play, but assumed it was going to Fournette heading the opposite way underneath. It allowed Lewis to slip out there with no one noticing him and to get a big gain.

my problem with his usage is that he’s getting like 37 snaps per game. About 3-4 of those are clear passing downs where the run/short pass isn’t a real option. So we’re talking like ~33 real snaps.

About 25 of those snaps are runs, and another 5-6 are designed passes/screens for him. Which means that like 30 out of 33 plays that he’s in on that it’s possible he could get the ball, he’s actually getting the ball. That means that roughly 90% of the time he’s on the field, he sees the ball go his way. So when he’s on the field, why wouldn’t the opposing team stack the box? There’s virtually no risk that he won’t get the ball. If #27 is on the field and it isn’t 3rd and long, drop a safety into the box because that’s where the ball is almost always going.

They need to put him out there for plays that he’s not touching the ball, be it having him just run a safety valve route, or being the misdirection piece like on that Marcedes screen, or using play action or just being there. At the very least, you make teams think twice before dropping the safety in the box. At most, you give the receivers some help, and also give him downs where he can run without facing a stacked box or a defense that’s 100% ready for him to get the ball.

I understand he needs to get better at pass blocking before he’s out there all the time, but there’s middle ground between the two extremes.

3 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

fwiw

29/39 puts that usage% at just over 75%. Much more reasonable. That’s basically the middle ground I was speaking of.

So this week was fine. So long as it continues, I’m okay with that type of split.

Archived