Seattle cuts Britt and Fluker

animaltested

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/4/26/21237799/report-seattle-seahawks-release-justin-britt-nfl-news

Move frees up about 12 million. Seems like Seattle likes Phil Haynes and Damien Lewis enough to move forward with those two having the inside track at guard. Iupati and Simmons (if healthy) could be in the mix as well. 

You'd have to believe BJ Finney is set to start at Center. Unless Solari and company were that please with Joey Hunt's performance in 2019 (DOUBT)

Makes sense Finney would be our starter. He did an okay job filling in for the Steelers last year given he was coming off the bench (this year he'll have a full offseason to get reps with the starters). 

I'd have to think the $12M freed up will create a play for Everson Griffen. I think Griffen will be available for around $10M per year as he's approaching 33 and his off field issues in 2018 will create concern. Seattle really has never had an issue with bringing in guys with off field/character concerns, so I really don't think that will prevent them here.

I loved Clowney's play last year and he graded as one of (if not THE) highest edge rusher in the NFL according to PFF (after games like San Fran it's obvious to see why) but Clowney has injury issues and work ethic issues in College + early NFL. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable giving him some 5 year $90M ($50M) guaranteed contract.

We've spent HIGH EDGE draft capital on Green, Collier, Taylor... I'd like to see some of those guys develop and plugged in and supplement with a cheaper EDGE veteran leader, which is typically what Seattle always has done in the past. We've never really paid HUGE money on a DE, so I can't imagine Clowney is going to get resigned for anything more than $15M per year (from Seattle) which is far below what he's looking for. 

Edited by NFL_Announcer
  • Like 1

Griffen makes a lot of sense. He was actually a far more successful pass rusher than Clowney last year (one of the NFL leaders in QB pressures), so in a way it would be an upgrade. I'm sure Pete Carroll would be comfortable taking on his "character concerns" on a short term deal as his former college coach. 

I'm definitely not ruling out a Yannick Ngakoue trade either. It still seems like there's a 10% chance at best he returns to the Jags next year, which means they'll have to find a suitor for him. He has quietly been one of the most consistently dominant pass rushers in the league since being drafted. 

And if Clowney is looking for a 1-year prove it deal, I'd love for it to be here where we can get one more season out of him and still get that compensatory bonus we were after. 

As for the topic of this thread, I'm sad to see Fluker go. That one was surprising to me, mostly because it seems very unlike us to be so confident in a 3rd round rookie that we're cutting the guy who ate most of the snaps at his position last year. 

Britt was an easy one to see coming with the cap relief he provided. 

3 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

As for the topic of this thread, I'm sad to see Fluker go. That one was surprising to me, mostly because it seems very unlike us to be so confident in a 3rd round rookie that we're cutting the guy who ate most of the snaps at his position last year. 

Britt was an easy one to see coming with the cap relief he provided. 

Yeah me too. He was a key factor in revitalizing Seattle's power run game. 

• Like 1