Redskins Rookie Jersey #s

turtle28

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Disagree. 21 should never be worn again under any circumstances. For totally different reasons other than how good Sean was. 

Then they should retire the number which I guess technically they have w/o truly doing it but it still doesn’t bother me if another player wore the # as they would do it as a tip of the cap to/honoring Sean anyway.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Then they should retire the number which I guess technically they have w/o truly doing it but it still doesn’t bother me if another player wore the # as they would do it as a tip of the cap to/honoring Sean anyway.

I agree. It should be officially retired if they aren’t going to hand it back out. Just do it and be done with it. 

• Like 2

On 4/30/2020 at 6:18 PM, turtle28 said:

That's why there is number 36.  

If someone wants to honor Taylor in another way, I wouldn't mind someone wearing 21 just for a game, and then auctioning that jersey off to a charity or a cause that Taylor was involved in, or let his family decide where it should go.  

I don't know why it isn't retired yet.  

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

That's why there is number 36.  

If someone wants to honor Taylor in another way, I wouldn't mind someone wearing 21 just for a game, and then auctioning that jersey off to a charity or a cause that Taylor was involved in, or let his family decide where it should go.  

I don't know why it isn't retired yet.  

The reason it isn’t is because the team has a policy that they don’t retire numbers which makes sense bc the franchise is 87 years old and if they and been retiring numbers for say everyone who got into the Ring of Fame they’d have little numbers left to give out. 

Edited by turtle28

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

The reason it isn’t is because the team has a policy that they don’t retire numbers which makes sense bc the franchise is 87 years old and if they and been retiring numbers for say everyone who got into the Ring of Fame they’d have little numbers left to give out. 

I mean, I can only think of a handful of numbers that I would retire for the Redskins, but I guess I understand that perspective.  

12 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I mean, I can only think of a handful of numbers that I would retire for the Redskins, but I guess I understand that perspective.  

I would think that every Hall of Fame player would have their number retired, that’s a lot of #s.

Do any NFL teams retire numbers? I don’t honestly remember them doing it, but I could be wrong. I think it’s treated the same as the Redskins do, they just don’t give out those numbers but they leave it open where they may someday.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I would think that every Hall of Fame player would have their number retired, that’s a lot of #s.

Do any NFL teams retire numbers? I don’t honestly remember them doing it, but I could be wrong. I think it’s treated the same as the Redskins do, they just don’t give out those numbers but they leave it open where they may someday.

I think it goes more than that.  What did they mean to the team and city means a whole lot, as well as performance on the field compared to their HOF peers.  For the Orioles, they have four retired numbers outside of 42.  Cal Ripken, Brooks Robinson, Frank Robinson, Jim Palmer, Eddie Murray and Earl Weaver.  

I also don't see any other numbers being retired anytime soon for them.  

With football though, I also understand you have a lot more rostered players at any given moment, and go through more players than baseball.  IF someone really means something to the team beyond the field, which I think all of the guys I mentioned above count, then I wouldn't have an issue retiring the number.  But outside of Darrell Green, Sean Taylor, Sammy Baugh, who else sticks out as slam dunk choices for retired numbers?  

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I think it goes more than that.  What did they mean to the team and city means a whole lot, as well as performance on the field compared to their HOF peers.  For the Orioles, they have four retired numbers outside of 42.  Cal Ripken, Brooks Robinson, Frank Robinson, Jim Palmer, Eddie Murray and Earl Weaver.  

I also don't see any other numbers being retired anytime soon for them.  

With football though, I also understand you have a lot more rostered players at any given moment, and go through more players than baseball.  IF someone really means something to the team beyond the field, which I think all of the guys I mentioned above count, then I wouldn't have an issue retiring the number.  But outside of Darrell Green, Sean Taylor, Sammy Baugh, who else sticks out as slam dunk choices for retired numbers?  

Sonny Jorgensen, Charlie Taylor, Bobby Mitchell, Art Monk who’s number hasn’t been given out in a while that I remember or ever since he retired. 

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Don't know how anyone could be getting team issued jerseys right now, especially since the lockdown and Fanatics still isn't shipping new draft picks like Chase Young yet. 

They don't have any names on them. He is getting a blank name plate and his tailor is stitching the names on them. I don't know how he's even getting the no named jersey’s. He must have a connection, maybe he knows someone on at Redskins Park in sales or marketing.

Edited by turtle28

51 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

They don't have any names on them. He is getting a blank name plate and his tailor is stitching the names on them. I don't know how he's even getting the no named jersey’s. He must have a connection, maybe he knows someone on at Redskins Park in sales or marketing.

Years ago, when they first moved to Fed Ex, they used to have a sale in the spring cleaning out everything.  Stuff from the Redskins store, training stuff and even old coaches gear.  My dad ended up with what we believe was one of Ritchie Petitbon's coaching jackets, because the initials RP are stitched into it.  One of the warmest things I've ever put on.  

Chances are, he knows someone in the organization who runs the locker rooms and can grab the excess inventory.  Seems like that has been happening for a while, because the Redskins don't sell it in the stadium store or anywhere, nor do they do the spring cleaning event.  Not sure what position that might be.  I know in baseball the bat boys are allowed to take home the jerseys for the visiting team.  

For a businessman like Dan Snyder, not selling this stuff doesn't make sense to me.  Almost all of the baseball teams sell spring training, team issued and game worn jerseys online via auction and at the stadium during gamedays.  Heck, the Orioles have an authentics store opened on Eutaw Street year round.  Snyder could make a small mint turning one of the many unneeded restaurants downstairs into an authentics store for stuff like this.  

28 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Years ago, when they first moved to Fed Ex, they used to have a sale in the spring cleaning out everything.  Stuff from the Redskins store, training stuff and even old coaches gear.  My dad ended up with what we believe was one of Ritchie Petitbon's coaching jackets, because the initials RP are stitched into it.  One of the warmest things I've ever put on.  

Chances are, he knows someone in the organization who runs the locker rooms and can grab the excess inventory.  Seems like that has been happening for a while, because the Redskins don't sell it in the stadium store or anywhere, nor do they do the spring cleaning event.  Not sure what position that might be.  I know in baseball the bat boys are allowed to take home the jerseys for the visiting team.  

For a businessman like Dan Snyder, not selling this stuff doesn't make sense to me.  Almost all of the baseball teams sell spring training, team issued and game worn jerseys online via auction and at the stadium during gamedays.  Heck, the Orioles have an authentics store opened on Eutaw Street year round.  Snyder could make a small mint turning one of the many unneeded restaurants downstairs into an authentics store for stuff like this.  

I remember that! My dad took me to that too!

• Like 1