What is the Starting Front 7 going to look like?

MKnight82

Here's the options, with my best guess at the depth chart:

LE - John Allen, Ziggy Hood, Anthony Lanier

NT - Stacy McGee, Phil Taylor

RE - Terrell McClain, Matt Ioannidis

LOLB - Ryan Kerrigan, Ryan Anderson, Houston Bates

MLB - Zach Brown, Will Compton, Josh Harvey-Clemons (?)

MLB - Mason Foster, Martrell Spaights

ROLB - Preston Smith, Trent Murphy, Junior Galette (?)

*I've bolded the likely starters, and italicized the possible threats to overtake the starters IMO.

So these are the options.  The biggest questions are who will start on the front 3 other than rookie Johnathan Allen.  Based on their FA signing status I'm guessing McGee and McClain get first crack at the starting spots.  However, we saw a guy like Paea come in and never hold down that role.  Hood is just a guy, and I don't think Phil Taylor will even make the final 53.  What would be a huge help would be for Matt Ioannidis to see a big leap and grab some playing time.  Also Lanier has gotten praise from the coaching staff, but I remain skeptical.  

Then there's the linebackers.  Kerrigan and Brown are likely guaranteed starting roles.  Foster IMO pairs the best with him in a run stuffing role.  I guess Compton would be the next in line if Foster doesn't get the job done, Spaights just seems like a special teams player to me.  Is Harvey-Clemons going to play MLB?  

Preston Smith will be the other starting OLB, but I'm assuming rookie Ryan Anderson will be given an opportunity to steal reps from him if he shines.  Especially the first four games while Trent Murphy is serving his suspension.  Hard to know if Murphy's performance was "enhanced" last year or not, I guess we will find out.  Junior Galette got arrested AGAIN this offseason, and hasn't played football in 2 years.  Wouldn't surprise me if he's suspended or doesn't make the final 53.  

DEFENSIVE ENDS
95      Allen, Jonathan     DL     6-3     288    22    R     Alabama
63      Banks, Brandon      DL     6-3     267    23    R     Charlotte
90      Hood, Ziggy         DL     6-3     305    30    9     Missouri
98      Ioannidis, Matt     DL     6-3     305    23    2     Temple
72R     Lanier, Anthony     DL     6-6     286    24    2     Alabama A&M
97      McClain, Terrell    DL     6-2     302    29    7     South Florida

NOSE TACKLES
69R     Francis, A.J.       DL     6-5     337    27    3     Maryland
78      Mbu, Joey           DL     6-3     323    24    2     Houston
92      McGee, Stacy        DL     6-3     341    27    5     Oklahoma
73R     Pipkins, Ondre      DL     6-3     321    23    R     Texas Tech
99      Taylor Sr., Phil    DL     6-3     343    29    5     Baylor

So, I quickly sorted our defensive linemen into the two categories.

The reality of the situation is that we have maybe 4 or 5 guys who belong in the NFL, and only 2 or 3 who belong as starters. There very well could be competitions for starting jobs, but it's going to be amongst guys who arguably shouldn't make it at all.

Of the ends, I agree that Allen and McClain get first dibs. I don't really see anyone pushing them though. Maybe Ioannidis, but I think that's a long shot. If I had my druthers, I'd keep Allen, Ioannidis, Lanier, and McClain. Hood offers little to nothing and who the heck is Banks (other than "the tiny 3-4 end as opposed to the tiny former WR")?

As for the nose tackles, it's probably McGee and who the hell knows? I'll root for the kid Pipkins.

OUTSIDE LINEBACKERS
52      Anderson, Ryan          LB     6-2     253    22    R     Alabama
96      Bates, Houston          LB     6-3     240    26    3     Louisiana Tech
58      Galette, Junior         LB     6-2     254    29    7     Stillman
91      Kerrigan, Ryan          LB     6-4     259    28    7     Purdue
93      Murphy, Trent           LB     6-6     259    26    4     Stanford
94      Smith, Preston          LB     6-5     265    24    3     Mississippi State
48      Trail, Lynden           LB     6-7     277    26    1     Norfolk State

INSIDE LINEBACKERS
53      Brown, Zach             LB     6-1     251    27    6     North Carolina
51      Compton, Will           LB     6-1     235    27    4     Nebraska
54      Foster, Mason           LB     6-1     250    28    7     Washington
50      Spaight, Martrell       LB     6-0     243    23    3     Arkansas

UNSURE/DOES IT MATTER?
55      Carter, Chris           LB     6-1     240    28    7     Fresno State
40      Harvey-Clemons, Josh    LB     6-4     226    23    R     Louisville
46      Marley, Nico            LB     5-8     200    22    R     Tulane
45      Robertson, Pete         LB     6-2     243    24    1     Texas Tech
59      Vigil, Zach             LB     6-2     238    26    3     Utah State

As for the outside guys, I think your starting four make sense, with Anderson being the hot reserve OLB and Compton being the hot reserve ILB. Beyond those six, it's anyone's game. I don't put any confidence in Galette and I am not sure I would invest much time in Murphy going forward (with the suspension and him being a UFA next year). That might open up the door for a guy like Bates or Trail to make the squad. Spaight probably keeps his roster spot just because of the poverty of pieces to compete against him, and I suppose Allen might try to keep Harvey-Clemons just so he claim a draft pick making the roster.

RDE - John Allen - 50 tackles, 6 sacks

Anthony Lanier - 15 tackles, 1 sack

NT - Stacy McGee - 35 tackles, 3 sacks

Phil Taylor - 15 tackles

Matt Ioannidis - 10 tackles

LDE - Terrell McClain (replaces Baker) - 40 tackles, 4 sacks 

Ziggy Hood - 20 tackles, 1 sack

ROLB - Junior Galette - 40 tackles, 8 sacks 

Preston Smith - 30 tackles, 6 sacks

WILB - Zach Brown - 140 tackles, 1 sacks, 1 ints 

Will Compton (primarily special teams)

MLB - Mason Foster - 110 tackles, 1 sack 

Martrell Spaights (primarily special teams)

LOLB - Ryan Kerrigan - 50 tackles, 10 sacks

Ryan Anderson - 20 tackles, 5 sacks 

OLB/DE - Trent Murphy (returns week 5) The ever tweener will be moved around from OLB/4-3 DE, to 3-4/5-tech DE and 4-3 3-tech depending on if we are in a 3 or 4 man DL. I hope often when it's 3rd and long we take all the big guys off of field but Allen and Murphy rushes from a 3 or 5 tech against the guard with his hand in the dirt with Allen or Lanier on the other side. 

*bolded the likely starters

On July 22, 2017 at 3:25 PM, Woz said:

DEFENSIVE ENDS
95      Allen, Jonathan     DL     6-3     288    22    R     Alabama
63      Banks, Brandon      DL     6-3     267    23    R     Charlotte
90      Hood, Ziggy         DL     6-3     305    30    9     Missouri
98      Ioannidis, Matt     DL     6-3     305    23    2     Temple
72R     Lanier, Anthony     DL     6-6     286    24    2     Alabama A&M
97      McClain, Terrell    DL     6-2     302    29    7     South Florida

NOSE TACKLES
69R     Francis, A.J.       DL     6-5     337    27    3     Maryland
78      Mbu, Joey           DL     6-3     323    24    2     Houston
92      McGee, Stacy        DL     6-3     341    27    5     Oklahoma
73R     Pipkins, Ondre      DL     6-3     321    23    R     Texas Tech
99      Taylor Sr., Phil    DL     6-3     343    29    5     Baylor

So, I quickly sorted our defensive linemen into the two categories.

The reality of the situation is that we have maybe 4 or 5 guys who belong in the NFL, and only 2 or 3 who belong as starters. There very well could be competitions for starting jobs, but it's going to be amongst guys who arguably shouldn't make it at all.

Of the ends, I agree that Allen and McClain get first dibs. I don't really see anyone pushing them though. Maybe Ioannidis, but I think that's a long shot. If I had my druthers, I'd keep Allen, Ioannidis, Lanier, and McClain. Hood offers little to nothing and who the heck is Banks (other than "the tiny 3-4 end as opposed to the tiny former WR")?

As for the nose tackles, it's probably McGee and who the hell knows? I'll root for the kid Pipkins.

OUTSIDE LINEBACKERS
52      Anderson, Ryan          LB     6-2     253    22    R     Alabama
96      Bates, Houston          LB     6-3     240    26    3     Louisiana Tech
58      Galette, Junior         LB     6-2     254    29    7     Stillman
91      Kerrigan, Ryan          LB     6-4     259    28    7     Purdue
93      Murphy, Trent           LB     6-6     259    26    4     Stanford
94      Smith, Preston          LB     6-5     265    24    3     Mississippi State
48      Trail, Lynden           LB     6-7     277    26    1     Norfolk State

INSIDE LINEBACKERS
53      Brown, Zach             LB     6-1     251    27    6     North Carolina
51      Compton, Will           LB     6-1     235    27    4     Nebraska
54      Foster, Mason           LB     6-1     250    28    7     Washington
50      Spaight, Martrell       LB     6-0     243    23    3     Arkansas

UNSURE/DOES IT MATTER?
55      Carter, Chris           LB     6-1     240    28    7     Fresno State
40      Harvey-Clemons, Josh    LB     6-4     226    23    R     Louisville
46      Marley, Nico            LB     5-8     200    22    R     Tulane
45      Robertson, Pete         LB     6-2     243    24    1     Texas Tech
59      Vigil, Zach             LB     6-2     238    26    3     Utah State

As for the outside guys, I think your starting four make sense, with Anderson being the hot reserve OLB and Compton being the hot reserve ILB. Beyond those six, it's anyone's game. I don't put any confidence in Galette and I am not sure I would invest much time in Murphy going forward (with the suspension and him being a UFA next year). That might open up the door for a guy like Bates or Trail to make the squad. Spaight probably keeps his roster spot just because of the poverty of pieces to compete against him, and I suppose Allen might try to keep Harvey-Clemons just so he claim a draft pick making the roster.

Brandon Banks is an udfa 3-4 DE/4-3 DT from Charlotte. Kinda like Lanier, he has some talent and potential but playing at a small school he needs a lot of development and needs to get bigger and stronger like Lanier did last year. Everyone talks about the 15-20 pounds that Murphy put on last year, but Lanier did the same from we signed him as an udfa until the season started.

On 7/23/2017 at 10:37 PM, turtle28 said:

Brandon Banks is an udfa 3-4 DE/4-3 DT from Charlotte. Kinda like Lanier, he has some talent and potential but playing at a small school he needs a lot of development and needs to get bigger and stronger like Lanier did last year. Everyone talks about the 15-20 pounds that Murphy put on last year, but Lanier did the same from we signed him as an udfa until the season started.

You have to agree that 6'3" 267 is awfully small for a 3-4 defensive lineman. Can he put on weight? Sure. However, I would hope he would have weighed in bigger than that after rookie camp, mini camp, and OTAs.

5 hours ago, Woz said:

You have to agree that 6'3" 267 is awfully small for a 3-4 defensive lineman. Can he put on weight? Sure. However, I would hope he would have weighed in bigger than that after rookie camp, mini camp, and OTAs.

He may weigh more now, that was probably his weight when they signed him. For example, Anthony Lanier weighed about that last year when they signed him but he started putting on weight and was 286 by the time the season started.

15 hours ago, turtle28 said:

He may weigh more now, that was probably his weight when they signed him. For example, Anthony Lanier weighed about that last year when they signed him but he started putting on weight and was 286 by the time the season started.

Notice that they list Lanier at 286, which is still a bit light for a 3-4 end (and I don't see a situation where he regularly makes the field in our four man fronts). So, he hasn't gained more tan what you say he was at the start.

7 hours ago, Woz said:

Notice that they list Lanier at 286, which is still a bit light for a 3-4 end (and I don't see a situation where he regularly makes the field in our four man fronts). So, he hasn't gained more tan what you say he was at the start.

Weighing in the 280's is on the lighter side for a 3-4 DE, but not too light. We've had this discussion for 7 years on this forum. Some 3-4 DEs do weigh 300 or above, but many weigh under 300 and some weigh in the 280s.

On 7/29/2017 at 6:53 PM, turtle28 said:

Weighing in the 280's is on the lighter side for a 3-4 DE, but not too light. We've had this discussion for 7 years on this forum. Some 3-4 DEs do weigh 300 or above, but many weigh under 300 and some weigh in the 280s.

Lanier at 286 is a bit on the light end. Banks at 267 is significantly underweight. Remember, the guy we started this who conversation about? Kind of silly to spend this much time since he's a major long shot at making the roster.

Redskins 53-man roster projection after a week of camp—Defense | CSN Mid-Atlantic

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/redskins-53-man-roster-projection-after-week-camp-defense

I have to say, I continue to have a slight difference in opinion with the beat reporters on if Matt Ioannidis will make it and on keeping 6 safeties.

Rich continues to believe that we'll keep 6 safeties until Murphy comes back and I just can't see it. Yes, they're going to have to make a tough cut on Blackmon, Hall and Nicholson (and Blackmon & Hall can play CB as well) but not keeping a 7th DL just doesn't seem like a good idea to me, especially a young one who's developing so I think Mbu or Ioannidis will make it as a 7th DL.

On 7/31/2017 at 10:16 AM, Woz said:

Lanier at 286 is a bit on the light end. Banks at 267 is significantly underweight. Remember, the guy we started this who conversation about? Kind of silly to spend this much time since he's a major long shot at making the roster.

When we picked up Lanier he was 6'5,  267 pounds. By the time the season started last year he had put on the 20 pounds to be a more stout DE against the run.

People loved to just focus on the 15-20 pounds that Trent Murphy was asked to gain last offseason - and lose because it was constantly reported on - but Lanier also gained that much weight to be able to play 3-4 DE at the NFL level. 

I'm sure they are putting Banks on a diet and lifting program so he can hopefully do the same and put on 20 pounds this offseason.

Archived