Week 4 GDT - San Francisco 49ers @ Arizona Cardinals

J-ALL-DAY

One of the most winnable games remaining on the schedule. The Cardinals are coming off a short week while we will have 10 days from the last game. One plus for the Cardinals is they don't have to travel unlike what we did the last two years against Pitt and Car. 

The Cards have no run game right now and a OL that looked shaky against the Cowboys. No excuses not to generate pressure this week. I'm thinking Thomas has his first sack of his career in this game and Buckner gets one as well.

Offensively, does Hoyer play competent enough or more like weeks 1 and 2? Garcon will likely be covered by Peterson and Honey Badger on Taylor, so a lot of targets to Goodwin/Kittle. I don't think our passing game gets going all that much this week. Hopefully Hyde/Breida are able to break a few big runs. 

Palmer has been up and down this season but he sure likes throwing it down the field. Our CBs looked terrible defending the long ball last week so don't think this is going to play out well. Our safeties have to be on point this week. 

I predicted a win last week and will do so again this week just because Arizona is on a short week. 

SF 20 AZ 17

Until we put together a complete game (even in a competitive loss), I can't pick us to win. The Cardinals have issues at the tackle spots, but we don't have the best outside rushers to take advantage, and we have been very inconsistent with any sort of pass rush. They can't run, but our secondary isn't that great, so I think they'll just end up throwing the ball 40 times somewhat effectively.

Offensively, we can almost scratch out whoever is being covered by Peterson right now. We are going to have to pound Hyde and Breida (or Mostert), and I really hope that we get Kittle involved in a bigger way (and I mean downfield...not just the 2 yard TE screens) .

This is a very winnable game for sure, but until I see us put it together on both ends, I'm hesitant to trust the team to win a game. I think that they abandon the run early, the defense gets winded late, and the Cards put up some points, particularly on the back end of the game. 31-20 Cardinals.

Well, I hope you're correct on Solomon Thomas rather than me, because as of now, I'm more inclined to believe he won't have a sack this season let alone one in this game. I have just never looked at him and saw a guy that would be good rushing the passer. He's a good 5-technique and superior run defender because of strength, leverage, and a high motor, but he just doesn't do anything (as of now) that makes me think he understands how to get to the quarterback in his position. 

1 minute ago, y2lamanaki said:

Well, I hope you're correct on Solomon Thomas rather than me, because as of now, I'm more inclined to believe he won't have a sack this season let alone one in this game. I have just never looked at him and saw a guy that would be good rushing the passer. He's a good 5-technique and superior run defender because of strength, leverage, and a high motor, but he just doesn't do anything (as of now) that makes me think he understands how to get to the quarterback in his position. 

Don't worry, he'll accidentally sack the quarterback at some point this year. Someone will flush a quarterback from the opposite side, and he'll end up running right into Thomas by accident.

3 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Well, I expect him to rush more from the inside compared to the last few games. That was the adjustment Saleh started to make in the 2nd half of last game. And besides, he may just luck into a sack against the Cards tackles.

33 minutes ago, Forge said:

Until we put together a complete game (even in a competitive loss), I can't pick us to win. The Cardinals have issues at the tackle spots, but we don't have the best outside rushers to take advantage, and we have been very inconsistent with any sort of pass rush. They can't run, but our secondary isn't that great, so I think they'll just end up throwing the ball 40 times somewhat effectively.

Offensively, we can almost scratch out whoever is being covered by Peterson right now. We are going to have to pound Hyde and Breida (or Mostert), and I really hope that we get Kittle involved in a bigger way (and I mean downfield...not just the 2 yard TE screens) .

This is a very winnable game for sure, but until I see us put it together on both ends, I'm hesitant to trust the team to win a game. I think that they abandon the run early, the defense gets winded late, and the Cards put up some points, particularly on the back end of the game. 31-20 Cardinals.

This team shouldn't be trusted. It has shown nothing so far for us to trust it. But the Cardinals aren't very good and are on a short week. If it was the usual six day rest for both teams, then I would pick the Cardinals. And you are correct that Palmer will throw the ball around 40 times as their run game is nonexistent to go along with our defense being good against the run. I'm interested in the Williams vs Fitzgerald match up. If our corners struggle again, it may be time to see if any of the others on the roster could do better. And yes, that's including Witherspoon.

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

This team shouldn't be trusted. It has shown nothing so far for us to trust it. But the Cardinals aren't very good and are on a short week. If it was the usual six day rest for both teams, then I would pick the Cardinals. And you are correct that Palmer will throw the ball around 40 times as their run game is nonexistent to go along with our defense being good against the run. I'm interested in the Williams vs Fitzgerald match up. If our corners struggle again, it may be time to see if any of the others on the roster could do better. And yes, that's including Witherspoon.

Williams did pretty good against Kupp, despite the disadvantage in size. I really like him as a slot corner. I think we got a pretty good one there. I do know that Tartt and Ward better be ready to play. This offense loves to stretch the field, and guys like Brown, Nelson (and the other Brown) can really get down the field. And despite all his flaws, the one thing that Palmer is still very capable of doing, and pretty good at, is flinging the ball deep.

I just have this weird feeling that we aren't going to generate enough pressure on the Cardinals offense even with their problems on the outside of the line.

14 minutes ago, Forge said:

Williams did pretty good against Kupp, despite the disadvantage in size. I really like him as a slot corner. I think we got a pretty good one there. I do know that Tartt and Ward better be ready to play. This offense loves to stretch the field, and guys like Brown, Nelson (and the other Brown) can really get down the field. And despite all his flaws, the one thing that Palmer is still very capable of doing, and pretty good at, is flinging the ball deep.

I just have this weird feeling that we aren't going to generate enough pressure on the Cardinals offense even with their problems on the outside of the line.

Well, if we don't generate any pressure then you could pretty much guess what is going to happen. Will also be interesting to see if Saleh calls more blitzes if the team isn't generating any pressure. Last week he called only five which was a mistake. Our DBs couldn't cover their WRs anyways, and giving Goff all day was a recipe for disaster.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I do wonder with the Tank injury if it means we activate Pita or Cooper. 

I would guess Cooper (of the 2) given that we had him active game 1. But it's just a guess. No reason behind it. It may even be the linebacker we just picked up.

Yeah, not sure what we do there to be honest. I mean Lynch could play some base DE so it's not a must that we have to activate another DE just because Tank is out.

I say activate one of the recent LBs that we signed. Enough with the Armstrong/Coyle experiment. 

Archived