Looking at 2021 Free Agency

Pastor Dillon

Here is a thought:

We are cap strapped next season. Once Watson's deal is done, we will basically be right at the cap for next year. That includes the following free agents we will have to either move on from or make room for:

Will Fuller
Zack Cunningham
Gareon Conley
Kenny Stills

obviously, 2020 will determine the value of those 4 guys, but we would desperately need to keep at least Cunningham and Fuller if they perform well this season. 

So roster moves will need to be made. 

McKinney can be cut and free up 7 million, which could probably be used to resign Cunningham

David Johnson can be cut to free up another 7 million

Zack Fulton can be cut to save another 7 million

Other than that, guys like Duke Johnson, Angelo Blackson, and Brandon Dunn could all be cut to clear up a total of 12 million. 

There are also 2 guys with big pay outs that can be cut for no cap hit. JJ Watt at 17.5 million and Cooks at 12 million. 

So we have options for next year but they would require big moves. 

unfortunately, we do not have any draft capitol to replace guys with. 

looking ahead, we should have been able to draft replacements in this years draft and next years, but we are extremely limited because of draft capitol. 

Hopefully Coulter or Coutee will develop enough to where we can move on from at least stills, saving that money. We drafted blacklock, which I assume means we will follow through with cutting both Blackson and Dunn at some point. 

What we don't have is a replacement at ILB for McKinney, RB for either Johnson, G for Fulton....unless the plan is to move Howard to guard and try Heck out at RT in 2021. 

Looking at the 2021 draft class, and with a 3rd and two 4ths, we can get 3 decent players, but we are most likely going to have to go ILB with the 3rd pick and hope we get a steal. 

all in all we aren't set up too poorly, but we could be cost some great guys without viable replacements thanks to the trades and the extensions for Tunsil and Watson. 

I used this page: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/yearly/cap/

I don't think it looks so dire in 2021 (2022 looks like a total rebuild year)

I do expect cap to drop in 2021

Re-sign / extend / draft:

RB depends on David Johnson's performance (hopefully bounce back season; if not RBs should be available)

Re-sign WR Will Fuller  (4 years, APY $17M) (bye Kenny Stills :( & trade Keke for 7th) 

TE Fells, Akin, or Thomas gone (traded for 7th)

Maybe need another IOL (G/C) draft late

JJ Watt gets extension to keep him in Htown until career is over (cuts his 2021 cap #, but delivers guaranteed $$$ in the future)

DL (either DE or NT) draft

Depending on Edge Greenard - possibly another pass rusher via free agency (Samson Ebukam or Kyler Fackrell)

Re-sign ILB Cunningham (4 years, APY $5M)

Trade ILB McKinney for 5th or 6th? if McKinney gone, then re-sign Cole (3 years, APY $3M)

Re-sign CB Conley (4 years, APY $7M)

Need SS draft early

Just my $.02

1 hour ago, jch1911 said:

I used this page: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/yearly/cap/

I don't think it looks so dire in 2021 (2022 looks like a total rebuild year)

I do expect cap to drop in 2021

Re-sign / extend / draft:

RB depends on David Johnson's performance (hopefully bounce back season; if not RBs should be available)

Re-sign WR Will Fuller  (4 years, APY $17M) (bye Kenny Stills :( & trade Keke for 7th) 

TE Fells, Akin, or Thomas gone (traded for 7th)

Maybe need another IOL (G/C) draft late

JJ Watt gets extension to keep him in Htown until career is over (cuts his 2021 cap #, but delivers guaranteed $$$ in the future)

DL (either DE or NT) draft

Depending on Edge Greenard - possibly another pass rusher via free agency (Samson Ebukam or Kyler Fackrell)

Re-sign ILB Cunningham (4 years, APY $5M)

Trade ILB McKinney for 5th or 6th? if McKinney gone, then re-sign Cole (3 years, APY $3M)

Re-sign CB Conley (4 years, APY $7M)

Need SS draft early

Just my $.02

Cunningham gonna get a lot lot lot more than 4 million. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Cunningham gonna get a lot lot lot more than 4 million. 

Yeah, he's got a case to set the market - especially if he improves on last year, he's going to command significant money.

The Texans & starting RG Zach Fulton have agreed to a reworked contract, per source.

Fulton was due $14M over the next two years with no guarantees, but is now due $5M (guaranteed) this season & $3M (non-guaranteed) in 2021.

Fulton gets nice security, Houston gets cap relief.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jch1911 said:

The Texans & starting RG Zach Fulton have agreed to a reworked contract, per source.

Fulton was due $14M over the next two years with no guarantees, but is now due $5M (guaranteed) this season & $3M (non-guaranteed) in 2021.

Solid move by the front office. Keeps the continuity intact.

Edited by lumberjackchris

5 hours ago, jch1911 said:

I'm pretty good with this. It means Larry Warford isn't coming to town, but Fulton isn't bad - he's sort of competent, just too expensive (until now).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think we need another IOL  on cheap contract.  I think if we did that we would be fairly set headed into next year (meaning targeting best player available in draft + free agency)

I think we could acquire one of the following for one of current low end players in a player for player swap.

G/C Ross Reynolds (SF) former Iowa lineman with standout athleticism and good arm length; supposedly good run blocker

G/C Kofi Amichia (SF) 

G/C Keaton Sutherland (MIA)

G/T Willie Wright (CLE)