Our 2021 Cap Space

Thaiphoon

Right now the NFL is trying to reduce the cap by quite a bit next year ($40m). (Trying to get the NFLPA to sign off on it - but please do NOT turn this into a discussion about that).

IF this comes to pass, we are in good shape considering our projected cap space for 2021.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2021/

We have $75m in cap space (3rd most)

So IF it comes to pass and the cap is reduced by $40m, what do you expect to happen with the other teams?

Lots of players let go for cap reasons?

Massive restructuring? 

Free Agency will probably be cheaper next year?

And I guess it kinda makes us look smart not spending too much of our cap this year.

*******Again - please do NOT turn this posts about the NFL and NFLPA, etc and about them reducing the cap and how it's justified (or not). I'm just looking at thoughts about IF this comes to pass. ******

I would have to assume teams would really be backloading and restructuring because that’s a huge drop I mean that’s almost like having a cap penalty of 36 million but in one season some teams are going to be scrabbling and it could shift the whole landscape!!! And I recon somehow Bill Belichick has his cup of tea saying the Coroana is setting up my Brady out on schedule because somehow they will have all new 23 year olds on rookie deals and the next QB and everyone else will be paying players who haven’t been there for two years

• Like 2

Add to that $75M whatever we’re able to roll over — assuming they don’t remove that option, which, in the words of Bulldog Brisco would stink, and be total BS — which is looking like $35M+ right now. 

Then add almost $22M if they cut Smith and Moses loose. Another $4-5M probably if they reach an extension with Allen. At that point, they’re looking at well over $125M in cap room. A fair chunk of that will get eaten up if they decide to keep Scherff. But they’re still going to be swimming in cap space. Drop the (starting) cap number by $40M, I would wager they’d still have at least some $50-60M in space with Scherff and Allen both extended.

They’d probably be in better position than most anybody. I can’t imagine the league actually diminishing the cap, but we’ll see how they handle it. If they do drop the cap $40M, there will definitely be some teams forced to cut loose some players they would prefer not to.

• Like 3

I think it will be a mix. Some teams will cut players - mostly vets near or over 30 - and we could get them for cheaper but they’d probably join a championship contender before they’d sign with us.

As for the players teams have that are in their prime or core players, I think they’ll restructure their contract so they can keep their best players in tact and remain a playoff contender or even a Super Bowl contender.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 2