Official Notre Dame Thread

roysmyboy31

52 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Meyer completely checked out his first and only season managing the Jaguars, and didn’t make it through the whole season after being caught on video dancing with someone much younger than him at a bar.  

‘Could’ is the operative word here.  I think its between ‘highly doubtful’ and ‘impossible’

Meyer isn't built for the NFL. College is where he belongs.

3 hours ago, pf9 said:

Meyer isn't built for the NFL. College is where he belongs.

Yes, but that performance is going to cause any school to think twice about hiring him.  It would be a huge mistake to give him the kind of money he’s going to demand after that failure and debacle there.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Yes, but that performance is going to cause any school to think twice about hiring him.  It would be a huge mistake to give him the kind of money he’s going to demand after that failure and debacle there.  

Tell that to Steve Spurrier, who left Florida for the Commanders (they weren't called the Commanders then), failed there, and came to South Carolina where he did not have a losing season in a season he completed (he resigned in the middle of his final season, in which SC went 3-9).

Edited by pf9

4 minutes ago, pf9 said:

Tell that to Steve Spurrier, who left Florida for the Commanders (they weren't called the Commanders then), failed there, and came to South Carolina where he did not have a losing season.

I’m well-versed in Spurrier.  He and Saban were able to fail in the NFL, and then return to the NCAA and create careers for themselves again.  Though Spurrier, while successful at South Carolina, did not enjoy the previous success that he had with Florida, though SC were perennial SEC East contenders for a time.  

But their failings were completely different than Urban Meyer.  Did you see Spurrier or Saban going out to a night club after a loss, traveling without their team?  Saban is probably one of the best leaders of men in the game of football, and a leader who should be studied in many other organizations,  Spurrier is a fantastic offensive mind who was way ahead of his time- without him, you don’t see a lot of the modern offenses in the NFL 

So tell me, what differentiates Urban Meyer from those two, because it’s not his leadership ability, and it’s not his coaching genius. 

On 9/11/2024 at 8:18 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

I’m well-versed in Spurrier.  He and Saban were able to fail in the NFL, and then return to the NCAA and create careers for themselves again.  Though Spurrier, while successful at South Carolina, did not enjoy the previous success that he had with Florida, though SC were perennial SEC East contenders for a time.  

But their failings were completely different than Urban Meyer.  Did you see Spurrier or Saban going out to a night club after a loss, traveling without their team?  Saban is probably one of the best leaders of men in the game of football, and a leader who should be studied in many other organizations,  Spurrier is a fantastic offensive mind who was way ahead of his time- without him, you don’t see a lot of the modern offenses in the NFL 

So tell me, what differentiates Urban Meyer from those two, because it’s not his leadership ability, and it’s not his coaching genius. 

That doesn't matter in the long run. Again, the NIU game proves that Freeman has lost too many winnable games to be taken seriously as ND's coach for now. If ND runs the table the rest of the season, I'll second guess my current evaluation of Freeman.

• 2 weeks later...