PFF QB Rankings ahead of the 2020 season

TecmoSuperJoe

4 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Tannehill was playing at a rate that was unsustainable last year, and while I wouldn't put him that low, I could see why PFF are skeptical that type of dominance will continue. History just isn't on Tannehill's side in that regard. Of the top of my I head I can't think of a career where someone was pretty lackluster for years, and years, and then on a new team just started dunking on everyone like crazy. Rich Gannon is the closest I can think of, and he did win an MVP one year, but for that several week stretch Tannehill was playing lights out at a level that is unlikely to be sustained. He won't be averaging 9 1/2 YPA. He already tumbled back down in those three postseason games. 

Lamar Jackson can't sustain. He already tumbled down in the playoffs. See how this sounds?

Tannehill was a 98.5 rated passer in the playoffs. They ran over chumps like Earl Thomas so they did not need to pass much.

In the AFCCG he went 21-31 for 209 and 2 TDs. If he plays that poorly all year he will have a 3344 yard 32 TD 0 pick season with another well over 100 rating.

This, ladies and gentleman, is classic PFF logic.

21 hours ago, 43M said:

I have absolutely no love for PFF, especially their laughable grading system (notably for DBs and lineman),. but this isnt really that bad.

These are just like power rankings going into the season.   They are easy to bash in hindsight, but looking at them at this point, there is nothing really GLARINGLY bad that sticks out.    

I hear ya. And, yes your right, it's similar to power rankings. 

To me it just says alot about their grading system and how much faith (or lack thereof) even the staff really has in it when they base their opinion surrounding those grades and ultimately reneging on them after 1 season. This is what I meant by pandering to fans (the what have you done for me lately crowd anyhow) because we see the very same thing happen each year on this site and ever other social media outlet. 

All in all though, I just hate everything PFF related and feel obligated to express it anytime it's ever brought up in any capacity. I need go back to just ignoring it altogether. 

Edited by JAF-N72EX

3 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Lamar Jackson can't sustain. He already tumbled down in the playoffs. See how this sounds?

Tannehill was a 98.5 rated passer in the playoffs. They ran over chumps like Earl Thomas so they did not need to pass much.

In the AFCCG he went 21-31 for 209 and 2 TDs. If he plays that poorly all year he will have a 3344 yard 32 TD 0 pick season with another well over 100 rating.

This, ladies and gentleman, is classic PFF logic.

That was one game, not three. And no I don't expect Lamar to sustain his quality level of play that he had in 2019. I think he'll also fall back down to Earth a bit. Just like Marino never matched his 1984 season, and Montana never matched his dominance in 1989 again. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but I wouldn't take the odds. Also, this doesn't mean Tannehill won't be a good starter in 2020, just that he won't be playing with a Super Mario star in his pocket like he did for 10 games. 

Passer rating is an extremely flawed metric that doesn't account for many factors like down/distance, depth of target, if a 50 yard TD pass started from a 1 yard bubble screen or not, it doesn't take into account fumbles, sacks, how a guy plays when he's under pressure or from a clean pocket, or just bad throws in general. I wouldn't put much stock into it even if it seems high, because he didn't play as well as the common perception of the rating would lead you to believe. 

Tannehill's baseline stats, don't tell you he held on to the ball too long resulting in three sacks in the game, the last of which sealed the deal for the Chiefs victory on 4th and 6. Tannehill simply didn't play well, and certainly not at the level he was during the regular season. Anyone who thought he played as well as he did before the playoffs need to go and watch the games again. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe