The NFL should rethink how it decides the matchups for Thanksgiving

pf9

But as I said, the farm leagues of the NBA and NHL were willing to cancel the rest of their seasons. Minor league baseball canceled theirs without playing any games, but at least MLB was still playing within a traditional timeframe.

Also, I edited the last post you quoted before you made your last post.

5 minutes ago, pf9 said:

I wouldn't blame the stations in Cleveland if they chose not to show Thanksgiving NFL games in protest of their local team not having had one since 1989. When the NFL chose to suspend the Browns for three years following the Modell incident, they didn't know it at the time, but it would set the Browns back for decades to come.

does the local CLE station want to run the risk of not carrying the Thanksgiving NFL games and losing revenue?   They are in business and part of that is making enough revenue to cover expenses.  

What happens if the local CLE does that, can the parent ABC/CBS opt to switch to a different local TV company to carry the parent name?

1 minute ago, pf9 said:

But as I said, the farm leagues of the NBA and NHL were willing to cancel the rest of their seasons. Minor league baseball canceled theirs without playing any games, but at least MLB was still playing within a traditional timeframe.

Also, I edited the last post you quoted before you made your last post.

The farm leagues get their funding from the major league.   The farm leagues are likely not financially able to make it without the backing of their parent team.

7 minutes ago, pf9 said:

NBC would have been happy to have an NFL team in Columbus (even if temporary) during the last two seasons they had the AFC rights, because at the time they had just acquired ownership of their Columbus affiliate, WCMH-TV, when it bought out the Outlet Company in 1996. NBC has since sold the station and the other two it acquired from Outlet.

Does NBC need a team in Columbus in order to get NFL game viewership?  

Dignity is worth far more than money. Notre Dame football failed to realize that when they accepted an invite to the Camping World Bowl last year rather than sit out bowl season altogether to protest the fact they couldn't represent the ACC in the Orange Bowl, unlike other ACC bowls. The OB slot went to a much lower-ranked Virginia team that lost to ND. The fact that the ACC was so bad last year was a huge reason why I was bitter about Clemson beating OSU in the playoff despite OSU playing a real schedule. Despite this, the Big Ten still had a better bowl record than the ACC. The latter conference's bowl losses included two to Group of Five teams (one of whose coach should have replaced Dino Babers after Syracuse regressed last year, that coach being LA Tech's Skip Holtz who is perfect in bowls with them), and one to a Big Ten team that had two fewer wins than their ACC opponent.

3 minutes ago, pf9 said:

Dignity is worth far more than money. Notre Dame football failed to realize that when they accepted an invite to the Camping World Bowl last year rather than sit out bowl season altogether to protest the fact they couldn't represent the ACC in the Orange Bowl, unlike other ACC bowls. The OB slot went to a much lower-ranked Virginia team that lost to ND. The fact that the ACC was so bad last year was a huge reason why I was bitter about Clemson beating OSU in the playoff despite OSU playing a real schedule. Despite this, the Big Ten still had a better bowl record than the ACC. The latter conference's bowl losses included two to Group of Five teams (one of whose coach should have replaced Dino Babers after Syracuse regressed last year, that coach being LA Tech's Skip Holtz who is perfect in bowls with them), and one to a Big Ten team that had two fewer wins than their ACC opponent.

It is very good of you to feel that dignity is worth more than money.  I won't disagree with that statement or sentiment.  

BUT, businesses, their owners or shareholders, and the trickle down to the players care just as much or more about money than dignity.  

I am not sure what the NFL scheduling has to do with the college football bowls and some select teams in various conferences.  

I realize I got off topic. But my point still stands. Money should not get in the way of fairness. There's plenty of other timeslots throughout the NFL season for which they could schedule popular matchups. Thanksgiving should be the one day where every team has a fair chance of appearing on national television.

Earlier, I had added to a post that the NBA and NHL conducted their championship rounds at a time where they should be doing the preseasons of next season. And I also added as a problem caused by money, mobile games which claim you can earn money playing them, but you never earn enough to cash out. These types of games should not be allowed on app stores.

Back on topic, there was a time where AFC North appearances on Thanksgiving could only come in the night game, because of the way the schedule rotation was set up. That's how Baltimore, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh all appeared between 2010 and 2013. But Cleveland is still waiting.

Even though I'm a Packers fan, I would be perfectly fine if they didn't make another Thanksgiving appearance for a while. Their last one was only 5 years ago, and they often appeared whenever Fox had the Detroit game during the 21st century. This is despite the fact that the Packers are one of the biggest names in the NFL. As far as Thanksgiving is concerned, the big name teams and their fans are extremely spoiled.

1 minute ago, pf9 said:

I realize I got off topic. But my point still stands. Money should not get in the way of fairness. There's plenty of other timeslots throughout the NFL season for which they could schedule popular matchups. Thanksgiving should be the one day where every team has a fair chance of appearing on national television.

Why should money be less of a priority for a business that your view of fairness?   Should they be able to tell you something that they would deem fair that affects you in a negative way for a % of your revenue?

Why is Thanksgiving superior in national television than the other Thursday night game slates?  As it is, each team gets a Thursday night national TV game appearance.

1 minute ago, pf9 said:

Earlier, I had added to a post that the NBA and NHL conducted their championship rounds at a time where they should be doing the preseasons of next season. And I also added as a problem caused by money, mobile games which claim you can earn money playing them, but you never earn enough to cash out. These types of games should not be allowed on app stores.

Back on topic, there was a time where AFC North appearances on Thanksgiving could only come in the night game, because of the way the schedule rotation was set up. That's how Baltimore, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh all appeared between 2010 and 2013. But Cleveland is still waiting.

The 3 former teams have been in the playoff mix for those years.  Cleveland...not so much.   Again, comes back to what is going to draw the largest audience as anticipated at the time of making the schedule.  

1 minute ago, pf9 said:

Even though I'm a Packers fan, I would be perfectly fine if they didn't make another Thanksgiving appearance for a while. Their last one was only 5 years ago, and they often appeared whenever Fox had the Detroit game during the 21st century. This is despite the fact that the Packers are one of the biggest names in the NFL. As far as Thanksgiving is concerned, the big name teams and their fans are extremely spoiled.

GB has a very large national TV draw.   That helps drive the frequency of their Thanksgiving appearances.  I really do not think the NFL schedule makers are trying to spoil or screw particular fan bases.   The schedule comes down to some level of input from the TV networks and looking at what matchups can potentially draw the largest audiences.....and make the most $$$.

It is a MONEY driven league.