What is with all of the Jameis Winston hate from nfl fans and the media?

JohnnyU

First off let me just say I am a panthers fan not here to troll but merely to come in peace. I wanted to share some of my thoughts on your qb, first off the criticism i see young Winston getting reminds me so much of what Cam went through in 2011 and still goes through today. 

The similarities i see between the two qbs other than being african-american are that they are both leaders, when they walk into a locker room they OWN the room. You saw this with Jameis at FSU and Cam his 1 year at Auburn. Both were number #1 picks. And both had to deal with criticism from the media at an early age unlike lets say a guy like Mariota( who is often injured, and quite frankly overrated)

And before you are wondering yes im a white guy, so no race card here. But i would be a fool to not mention how the media covers Winston. Yes he had maturity issues coming into the NFL,I even thought he would be a bust. But to my suprise  the kid has been impressive of the field i love his charisma and leadership I keep tabs on most of those opponents in the nfc south anyways. But i was so impressed with the kid i bought my son a jersey of Winston after watching him on HBO's hard knocks

The point I am trying to make is that, well known talking heads in the sports world like Herm Edwards, Tedi Bruschi, Colin Cowherd, and Dan Patrick to name a few are saying that Jameis Winston is a mediocre qb. But when you look at the numbers, they paint a different picture

I saw that the bucs's record was 2-2( not bad). Then i went to espn nfl site and checked the stats page, and i found out Winston is actually being underrated by the sports media. First thing i  noticed was that Winston is AVERAGING... yes averaging 300 yards PASSING per game. I also wanted to check his completion percentage( and too my suprise his completion percentage was higher than dak, wentz, and mariota). Winston's passer rating was higher than all 3 of his peers as well. Another thing Profootballfocus i saw on twitter had Jameis as the 8th best qb in the nfl

Keep in mind that Winston has missed 1 game because of that hurricane, so his passing yardage cant be equally measured with his peers till they have their bye. But man im impressed, yes Winston misses throws, another qb who missed throws a lot was andrew luck and currently carson wentz. They are young. Sometimes i think the media and nfl fans forget that. The thing im encouraged about with winston is that his stats have gotten better every year( he is not regressing). So i dont see what the problem is

i think he deserves the criticism , the offense is riding on his shoulders and he has all the weapons he needs ,  this is the time to take the next step

he hasnt regressed youre right, but he hasnt made any progress as far as decision making is concerned

he just needs to settle down and make reads and not lock on to his main target or just evans, i hope it happens because our offense depends on it

17 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

i think he deserves the criticism , the offense is riding on his shoulders and he has all the weapons he needs ,  this is the time to take the next step

he hasnt regressed youre right, but he hasnt made any progress as far as decision making is concerned

he just needs to settle down and make reads and not lock on to his main target or just evans, i hope it happens because our offense depends on it

what abut your kicker who keeps leaving points on the field, i mean the guy missed a 31 yarder last night( thats pathetic). What happened to the kicker you just drafted with winston. That guy was amazing at fsu( is he injured or something). But yea anyways maybe its the play-calling, how can a qb just turn it on and throw for 225 in one quarter of play. Why not call more of that. Because that had to be a record or something. 

Tony Romo mentioned that the bucs offense is built like its from the 80's, maybe hes right. Who knows, but your coach needs to adjust and get with the times, because i can tell you this much, Winston won the game againist the giants, and despite his kicker missing 3 kicks( damn near won this one as well). I felt bad that the bucs didnt spike the ball after jackson caught the 26 yard completion on the final drive( and that 10 second runoff hurt them)

yes we have terrible luck with kickers

costing us games here

doesnt take away that winston couldnt hit the broad side of a barn in the 1st  and 2nd quarter last night

winston's accuracy needs to improve

if he would have started the game the way he played that 4th quarter we would have been up by a couple TDs  and not trailing

3 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

We need to cool it on the race talk. Just a heads up.

i think you maybe meant to  post this in another thread( but posted it here by mistake), because nobody said anything about race. 

3 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

i think you maybe meant to  post this in another thread( but posted it here by mistake), because nobody said anything about race. 

Nope. The forum guidelines are pinned at the top of the forum if you'd like to look over them. But comments like

The similarities i see between the two qbs other than being african-american

and

And before you are wondering yes im a white guy

and the stuff you removed (thank you), though true, aren't things we want to discuss on the board.

I'm not trying to deter you from posting, and I actually appreciate your topic here. I just want to make sure we're having a discussion that follows the rules. ?

And, to answer your question, I think a lot of the hate will go away if we start winning games. Jameis' raw numbers actually look good this year. And, as you pointed out, he's improved (so far) every year he's been in the league. He was the number one overall pick. He's supposed to be our savior and get us over the hump. He's just not there yet. Once (if?) he does, most of the hate will go away. And the little that's left will be ignored.

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

And, to answer your question, I think a lot of the hate will go away if we start winning games. Jameis' raw numbers actually look good this year. And, as you pointed out, he's improved (so far) every year he's been in the league. He was the number one overall pick. He's supposed to be our savior and get us over the hump. He's just not there yet. Once (if?) he does, most of the hate will go away. And the little that's left will be ignored.

they re 8-4 in their last 12 and just lost to arguably the greatest Qb and head coach.  He s far from perfect,  the expectation from fans that progress is a straight arrow up just isnt realistic.  Will he get as much time as Stafford to prove he s a savior?

6 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

they re 8-4 in their last 12 and just lost to arguably the greatest Qb and head coach.  He s far from perfect,  the expectation from fans that progress is a straight arrow up just isnt realistic.  Will he get as much time as Stafford to prove he s a savior?

Licht isn't gonna let him go anywhere. So Jameis will get however long he needs.

And you're right. We, as fans, expect immediate results. But that isn't realistic.

The thing on Jameis is he's very inconsistent. Yes he's improved and I think when douggie gets back into football shape we will see some more balance to the offense. 

Jameis is getting good protection from the oline but I will say he's missing open receivers by holding on to the rock and timing. His vision and going through progressions is inconsistent and to be a franchise qb, you have to hit the deep ball when it's open. He leaves plays/points on the field and I think that's where the criticism is. He also locks into Evans a bit too much. 

That being said. He's 23 and he's still young. Like some pointed out, guys like Brady and manning weren't asked to do all this at their age.  

He needs to put it all together. The season is still young but as a Bucs fan yes it's frustrating Bc if he's more consistent, he can take us to the playoffs. 

5 hours ago, REDandPEWTER said:

Bc if he's more consistent, he can take us to the playoffs. 

And I believe it's "playoffs or bust" for a lot of us this year. I know it is for me. And, like you said, if he plays better and more consistently he can get us there. 

We're not built to rely on our defense or running game. We're built around Jameis. So we go however far he takes us.

2 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

And I believe it's "playoffs or bust" for a lot of us this year. I know it is for me. And, like you said, if he plays better and more consistently he can get us there. 

We're not built to rely on our defense or running game. We're built around Jameis. So we go however far he takes us.

Yep. And we supplied him with weapons. He has to see the field better and be more accurate. He leaves a lot of plays out there in games due to inaccurate throws and not seeing open guys. The problem that concerns me is the pass protection is good too. 

I heard this somewhere, so I don't have a source, but the best QBs are the ones who convert on 3rd down and get TDs in the Redzone, everything else is just stats. I believe that to be true. Jameis has to do those two things and that will be the ultimate deciding factor, aside from wins of course, if he is progressing.

But yes, he is getting great protection and missing open guys, it's concerning.

The good thing is we've still got 12 games left and we're 2-2. We certainly aren't out of the playoff hunt. We're not even out of the race for the division. So Jameis has plenty of time to settle down and get used to all these new weapons. 

We've got four guys with over 200 receiving yards. In four games. No other team in the league could say that at four games. Once we get our timing down a little better, the offense will be alright. And once that happens, we'll start piling up the Ws.

Archived