Should the NFL make mid-week expansion of games permanent?

49ersfan

Should the NFL make mid-week expansion of games permanent?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Should the NFL make mid-week expansion of games permanent?

• Yes - add more viewing windows for NFL games
    • No - keep it the way it is

On 12/10/2020 at 1:27 AM, Awsi Dooger said:

I thought it was awesome. More than half the games were within your own division...8 of 14. That's why the league was so intense and physical, with true Any Given Sunday realities. The Dolphins went 14-0 when the league was legitimately balanced, due to the taxing schedule and so much contrast between styles of play. No team lost fewer than 3 games in 1971 and the Dolphins were the only team with fewer than 3 losses in 1972. That's why 14-0 then 17-0 stood out as so legendary, and the current attempts to diminish it are so ignorantly laughable. Nobody is more foolish than backfitting strength of schedule simpletons. 

These days with contrast all but gone and pantyhose passing teams coddled by the rules and the referees, I look at a team like the Chiefs and wonder how it's physically possible they go under the season win total. It was 11.5. Really? The Chiefs under these rules and this degree of imbalance are going to lose 5 times or more? Best of luck.

I've made this point on Finheaven for years: It is exponentially easier to have a fantastic won/loss record these days, when divisional games are only 6 of 16 games as opposed to 8 of 14 in the prior era. I remember when teams would play 4 or 5 consecutive divisional games in midseason. You knew darn well they'd lose at least 1 or 2 of those, no matter how good they were, and then the games following the divisional streak were extreme vulnerability because the team was physically and mentally exhausted. 

Nowadays there is nothing like that at all. It is a comparatively easy hopscotch from one non-division game to another. Then they give you maybe 2 or 3 straight division games early in the season and late in the season. Big deal. It is easy for the superior team to prepare for the early games. Then late season some teams in your division are either worn out or playing out the string. 

Worst tendency of all is the reliance on passing. Contrast is gone. Teams with lousy quarterbacks think they are supposed to wing it 35+ times. Incredible stupidity. They are playing into the hands of the superior team by lengthening the game and allowing the relationship between one quarterback and the other to dictate the outcome. I was never a Tim Tebow fan but at least that brief stretch with the Broncos gave younger fans a glimpse of how the game was played decades ago, when contrast ruled the league and it didn't always matter if your quarterback could throw the ball at all.

You walked uphill to school and then uphill back home, didn't you?

On 12/9/2020 at 8:37 PM, squire12 said:

Are you advocating for the 8 divisions in the NFL have different pools of TV revenue to help determine their salary cap?  So potentially 8 different salary caps specific to each division?

That wasn't the point

The point was I wanted NFL TV coverage to be like that of CFB. Almost every game in FBS football is televised nationally, whether on a linear TV channel or on streaming. I want something like that for the NFL.