Looking back on Thaistradamus and his predictions in Dec 2018

MikeT14

With @Thaiphoon's blessing, I stumbled upon a prediction thread of his that I wanted to circle back to and see how he did. We can discuss the fallout.

Here's what he said: 

Okay, since I tend to do short and long term predictions (remember the one about the sellout ending and blackouts [*] happening?) and I enjoy taking the slings and arrows for those predictions, I wanted to post something that I THINK could happen in the next two years regarding the Players and the Front Office/Coaches. Note that I'm not talking about specific draft picks or anything like that. Just talking about players currently on the roster.

Players

1. Trent Williams calls it a career after the 2020 season.

Doubt it, but he is a FA. 

1. Jordan Reed restructures his deal or is no longer a [member of the WFT] in 2020. He will be either cut or traded if he doesn't renegotiate.

Correct! (1 point)

1. PRich plays his way off the roster by the end of the 2020 season

Correct! (1 point) and an easy one ;) 

1. Scherff gets extended before the 2019 season

Tagged. Maybe extended this season. Either way, I will say incorrect. 

1. Cam Sims becomes a full time starter in 2020 and makes the Pro Bowl in 2021

I suppose he was a starter at the end? Maybe debatable here. Pro Bowl TBD. I think a 1/2 point is fair? 

1. Simmie Cobbs comes on and establishes himself as one of the 4 WRs

Oof. 

1. Alex Smith retires after the 2020 season

TBD. Could very well happen. 

1. Mason Foster gets cut in training camp before 2020 season

1 point. 

1. Ha Ha gets let go after this season

1 point

1. Doctson does not have his rookie contract renewed. Becomes FA

Not even. 1 point. 

1. Kerrigan gets restructured or he is gone after 2021 (when contract ends)

TBD. His contract was up in 2020, but he's probably not back. 

1. Norman same as Kerrigan

1 point. 

1. Colt McCoy is signed on for 3 more years after this season

He's with the Giants.

1. CThompson is not re-signed when his contract ends in 2020

Contract ended in 2019 but same result. 1 point. 

1. Preston Smith is allowed to go FA and signs elsewhere in 2019

1 point. 

1. Michael Floyd is re-signed to a vet minimum 2 year deal in 2019

Nope. 

1. Ty Nsehke is signed to a 2 year deal (actually 1 year but 2 for cap purposes) in 2019 

Went to the Bills.

1. MVP is signed to a 2 year deal in 2019

Is this Tress Way? Or AP? Either way it was correct plus. 1 point. 

1. We get our QBOTF in the 2021 draft

This is possible and set up. 

Front Office/Coaches

1. Jay survives this year and next. So he coaches until the end of the 2020 season. But is fired because he continues to suck.

Almost correct. Fired during 2019. 

1. Bruce, on the other hand is OUT as GM (at least on player personnel side) by the end of the 2019 season. Danny gets smart and replaces the GM a year before the coach gets replaced so that the GM can pick the coach. That coach will then get the QBOTF in 2021 draft (see #19 above).

Excellent. Most valuable 1 point yet. 

1. Bruce is replaced by Kyle Smith as GM/President of Football Operations ^^^

So close, but appears no. 

1. Doug Williams gets a symbolic promotion but they still continue to disrespect him

1 point for sure. 

1. Danny actually does something about the culture of poor player conditioning and steals away some S&C coaches from other teams who always seem to do better.

1 point. 

1. The team announces by the end of the 2020 season, that they will be moving to a new stadium in NoVa (much to my chagrin) once the deal runs out at Fed Ex

Not yet. 

Out of 25 possible points, 12.5 points with 3.5 possible more points available. Pretty damn good Thai!

• Like 2

Amazing, I have learned since 2008 when Thai and I went back and forth on Jansen & on trading for Jason Taylor that he is right more Than he’s wrong about this franchise and it’s amazing.

I wish #3 in the Front Office/Coaches did happen. He predicted that this offseason Kyle Smith would be GM.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, e16bball said:

Pretty good work!

Part of me wants to question the boldness of some of these “bold predictions,” but I’ll refrain. And in return I’d like two free curse words I can use at any time free from reprimand. Please and thank you, good doing business. 

Well. Some were pretty evident. But I tried to mix in some of the short and long term stuff for the next two seasons (was doing in in Dec 2018). 

Hmmm...not sure about the curse words, though.

5 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Oof...Simmie Cobbs. I'm glad you didn't actually TAKE AWAY a point for that one. Sheesh

We all felt the same, you should’ve done you’re usual and gone against the grain of most everyone else and then been right in the end. 😂 

That was back in the Ryan Grant days right? Everyone hating on Ryan Grant, always trying to find someone to replace him even though as a #4 and 5 WR he was a steady Eddie and a good special teams player which is what you need from one of your back of the roster WR. The other #5 or 6 Wr can be a UDFA type with untapped potential that we hope gets realizes but I like to have one steady Eddie that just seems do the stuff that’s not appreciated right almost every single time he’s on the field.

Edited by turtle28

13 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Amazing, I have learned since 2008 when Thai and I went back and forth on Jansen & on trading for Jason Taylor that he is right more Than he’s wrong about this franchise and it’s amazing.

I wish #3 in the Front Office/Coaches did happen. He predicted that this offseason Kyle Smith would be GM.

Thanks man. I think the ones in the past that got me the most flames from the forum was that I was against

Trading for McNabb

Trading for Taylor

Trading for TJ Duckett

But the biggest one I got the most crispy of dermis was I was emphatically against trading up to get RG3.

I had some big misses though. I didn't want to get London Fletcher (oof what a stoopid move by me).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

We all felt the same, you should’ve done you’re usual and gone against the grain of most everyone else and then been right in the end. 😂 

That was back in the Ryan Grant days right? Everyone hating on Ryan Grant, always trying to find someone to replace him even though as a #4 and 5 WR he was a steady Eddie and a good special teams player which is what you need from one of your back of the roster WR. The other #5 or 6 Wr can be a UDFA type with untapped potential that we hope gets realizes but I like to have one steady Eddie that just seems do the stuff that’s not appreciated right almost every single time he’s on the field.

Yup. Same timeframe. I think it was more wishful thinking on my part than anything I had actually seen the guy do (he flashed something...like, twice...that's it)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yup. Same timeframe. I think it was more wishful thinking on my part than anything I had actually seen the guy do (he flashed something...like, twice...that's it)

I definitely was in the same boat, I liked Simmie Cobs at Indiana he was good and hurt Ohio State everytime they played him and I wanted to keep him. 

That being said, I never bought into the belief that others had that some of these UDFA’s were better options than Ryan Grant though. I trusted what I had seen since we drafted Grant & his chemistry w/ Kirk in preseason & I trusted Gruden to know more than the rest of that.

I’ll always say, Grant was not a lot of things. He wasn’t an exceptional athlete and had little upside but he was a steady Eddie, good special teams player and good blocker, all important if you’re going to be a #4 or 5 WR and even in 2017 Grant became a serviceable receiver when Terrelle Pryor didn’t work out then got hurt and Doctson didn’t develop like he should of.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1