NBA 2k18 Franchise - Now GM of the Pistons

MKnight82

Ok I've been itching to get back on this.  I got bored with this same team after so many seasons, so the plan is to jump to another full rebuild project in this same "universe" I've created.  I didn't do write-ups of the last playoff games with the Bulls, but I beat a very good Celtics team in the Eastern Conference Finals, and then simmed the NBA finals which resulted in the Bulls winning their 2nd consecutive title, this time against the Portland Trailblazers.  

I've resigned my position as GM of the Bulls and signed on as the new GM of the Detroit Pistons.  From what I can tell, they have a really old and overpaid team needing a full overhaul.  Also, I'm pretty sure the Bulls have their first round pick this year (likely to be #1 overall).  So I've got my work cut out for me.  To top that off, eventually I'll have to get through the Bulls in the East.  

1979_logo.png

Year 8 Budget

Player Payroll - $101.43 mil

Staff Payroll - $8.00 mil

Arena Operations - $2.53 mil

Team Operations - $13.00 mil

Promotions - $1.25 mil

My budget is way down from when I was with the Bulls.  I'm going to have to be a bit frugal with my Coach signings.  

Offseason Happenings

The #1 seed Bulls won the NBA Championship over the #4 seed Trailblazers.

CJ Ellis Jr. won Finals MVP.

Notable Retirements: Lebron James (20 Years in the league), LaMarcus Aldridge, Marc Gasol, Derrick Rose, Stephen Curry, Goran Dragic, Brook Lopez

Staff Retirements: Greg Popovich

HOF Inductees: Lebron James, Stephen Curry

Jersey Retirements: Lebron James #6 (Heat 2010-2014), Lebron James #23 (Cavs 2003-2010, 2014-2024), Stephen Curry (Warriors 2009-2024), Marc Gasol (2008-2020) 

Lebron

He finished his career with the following:

4 MVPs

4 NBA Titles

19 All Star Appearances

15 Time 1st Team All NBA

2 Time 2nd Team All NBA

1 Time 3rd Team All NBA

5 Time 1st Team All Defense

3 Time 2nd Team All Defense

Rookie of the Year (2004)

#1 All Time in Career Points (40,562)

#2 All Time in FGs Made (15,130)

#10 All Time in 3 Pointers Made (2,355)

#4 All Time in Free Throws Made (7,947)

#4 All Time in Assists (11,065)

#6 All Time in Steals (2,411)

#1 All Time in Minutes Played (58,833)

Interesting Career Stats at the End of this Season

Total Points Scored in NBA History
  Player Points
1 Lebron James 40562
2 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 38387
3 Karl Malone 36928
4 Kobe Bryant 33643
5 Michael Jordan 32292
6 Wilt Chamberlain 31419
7 Kevin Durant 31248
8 Dirk Nowitzki 31166
9 Carmelo Anthony 31158
10 Shaquille O'Neal 28596
*11 Russell Westbrook 28302

Most 3 Pointers Made in NBA History
  Player Points
1 Stephen Curry 4420
2 James Harden 3338
3 Klay Thompson 3091
4 Ray Allen 2973
5 Isaiah Thomas 2893
6 Kevin Durant 2853
7 Damian Lillard 2755
8 Kyle Lowry 2608
9 Reggie Miller 2560
10 Lebron James 2355

Most Assists in NBA History
  Player Points
1 John Stockton 15806
2 Chris Paul 13036
3 Jason Kidd 12091
4 Lebron James 11065
5 Steve Nash 10335
6 Mark Jackson 10334
7 Magic Johnson 10141
8 Oscar Robertson 9887
9 Russell Westbrook 9766
10 Isiah Thomas 9061

Most Steals in NBA History
  Player Points
1 John Stockton 3265
2 Chris Paul 3026
3 Jason Kidd 2684
4 Michael Jordan 2514
5 Gary Payton 2445
6 Lebron James 2411
7 Maurice Cheeks 2310
8 Scottie Pippen 2307
9 Stephen Curry 2213
10 Clyde Drexler 2207

Draft Lottery

nba-draft-lottery3.jpg

I have no lottery picks this year as I swindled the Pistons pick from them as GM of the Bulls.  The top 5 odds are:

1.       Bulls via Pistons (25.0%)

2.       Knicks via Timberwolves (19.9%)

3.       Hawks via Pelicans (15.6%)

4.       Grizzlies (11.9%)

5.       Suns (8.8%)

Who’s it going to be…..

The Suns jumped from 5 into the top 3. The Suns landed the #3 overall pick, the Hawks got #2, and the Chicago Bulls won the lottery lol.  Jesus. 

Staff Signing/Firing

I fired the Pistons entire existing staff.  Here’s a breakdown of my new staff:

CFO – Caleb Rogers – Business (B-), Potential (C), Marketer Badge – 4 years, $650k.  I signed this guy because he’s relatively cheap for a CFO and I don’t pay that much attention to the financials other than making my owner happy. 

AGM – Eli Best – Contracts (A-), Trading (B), Potential (C ), Wingman Badge – 4 years, $550k.  He’s a solid AGM, there were better available but he was affordable. 

Head Coach – Logan Schmidt – Offense (B+), Defense (A+), Potential (C+), Tactician, Rejuvenator, and Teacher Badges – 4 years, $4.25 mil.  This guy is a great coach at a great price!  I think he’s a computer generated coach because I’ve never heard of him IRL, but I got a steal in this guy.    

Assistant Coach – Dwight Howard – Offense (D-), Defense (B-), Potential (A-), Former Player Badge – 4 years, $875k mil.  Dwight has decent potential to progress into a good coach and already knows defense. 

Head Scout – Mason Miller – Scouting (A), Potential (C), Sleuth and Hard Worker Badges – 4 years, $425k.  I spent money on this because a good scout is essential to me.    

Trainer – Gregory Peterson – Training (A), Potential (C), Fitness Guru and Preparer Badges – 4 years, $450k.  He’s the best Trainer on the market this year. 

*TRADE*

San Antonio Spurs Receive

SF Kawhi Leonard (80)

Detroit Pistons Receive

SF Maurice Harkless (78)

2026 Spurs 1st Round Pick (top 3 protected)

This sends the 33 year old Kawhi back to the Spurs to end out his career.  His 2-year $41.42 mil contract didn't align with my rebuild, plus I'll probably attempt to tank this year.  

*TRADE*

Golden State Warriors Receive

C Steven Adams (78)

Detroit Pistons Receive

#24 overall pick

2025 Warriors 2nd Round Pick

I was surprised the Warriors offered this, I was thinking I was going to have to pay someone to take Adams 1-year $33.35 mil contract.  I guess they value the expiring contract.  This gives me a first round pick in this year's draft, which I didn't have before.  

2024 NBA Draft

NBA_Draft_logo_(no_year).png

Draft Picks

Round 1 – 24 overall

Round 2 – 31 overall

I don’t have any high picks this year and I don’t have this draft class scouted since the previous scout sucked.  I’ll be taking my best stab at BPA since I need everything. 

C Harold Fortson is selected #1 overall by the Bulls.  He was the #6 rated player on the board, not exactly sure what the heck they were thinking there.  The Bulls don’t really NEED anything, but I guess the weakest starter they probably have is at Center in Meeks.  SG Stacey Lewis goes #2 to the Hawks, he’s 71 OVR and a great shooter.  This is a pretty weak class BTW.  PF Derek Simon goes #3 to the Suns, he’s 74 OVR with A+ potential.  The Grizzlies trade up to #4 and select SF Alton Daniel, who’s 75 OVR with A- potential. According to the CPU Daniel was the #1 prospect in the draft, so good trade for the Grizzlies.  The Grizzlies apparently also have the #5 pick and pair Daniels with C Randy Slater, a 7’2” 71 OVR Center with B Potential.  Slater is arguably as good as Fortson. 

Time to sim to my picks. 

These are the top players available at 24:

SG Valmilton Andrade

DE Rank Position Name Height Weight Wingspan School OVR Potential
15 SG Valmilton Andrade 6'5" 210 6'7" Brazil 65 B

INS MID 3PT INS D PER D PLMK REB IQ PHYS
D+ B B- D- D- C- C- C- C-

He can shoot, but that’s about it.  He’s average sized and slow, can’t really defend.  He has one of the higher Potential ratings left in the draft though. With his terrible athleticism he could never start for me.   He has the Tireless Scorer badge, so maybe he could be the #1 scorer on a 2nd unit. 

SF Vlado Tarlac

31 SF/PF Vlado Tarlac 6'10" 215 7'1" Serbia 67 C+

D C B- D+ C- D+ C- C- C-

He has great size, and although he’s not a great athlete he’s just as fast as Andrade.  Plus, he’s pretty much just as good of a 3 point shooter as Andrade too.  Only thing lesser is the Potential rating. 

C Keith Mitchell

32 C Keith Mitchell 7'0" 254 7'8" Washington ? C+

D- D F C+ C- D C C D

This is a weak draft, and at 24 its slim pickings.  I usually like my first face of the franchise to be a wing, and I just generally like the upside with Tarlac here so I think he’ll be the pick. 

With the 24th pick in the NBA draft the Detroit Pistons select:

SF Vlado Tarlac, Serbia

xDOp4HF.jpg

He may end up a career backup but his length and shooting should be assets.  With his size he can log minutes at the 4 too. 

I’m on the clock again at 31. 

Andrade goes #27 to the Trailblazers.  I’m on the clock again. 

Mitchell is still on the board so he’s definitely an option. I’m going to look at what else is available though. 

SG Fidel Padillo

34 SG Fidel Padillo 6'3" 200 6'8" Argentina 64 B-

D- D A D- C- D+ D C- D

Its slim pickings here, but I know he can shoot and he can pass as a defender after some time to develop.  He’s really slow so he’ll always be a backup.  Decent potential rating for a 2nd rounder, no badges. 

With the 31st pick in the NBA draft the Detroit Pistons select:

C Keith Mitchell, Washington

LIGNSCU.jpg

Never take slow Guards, they always suck.  Pretty much how the decision went down. 

That wraps up my first draft.  Obviously I didn’t have a lot of draft capital but I’m hoping these guys become contributors over time. 

UPDATE - Mitchel is only 68 OVR, but he actually has B Potential.  

Free Agency

So I’ll have to make some signings just to fill out my roster this year, I currently only have 9 players on the roster. 

Signed PF/C Ed Hansen (76) to a 3-years $12.00 mil deal.  He played for me in Chicago and is a great interior defender and rebounder. 

Signed SF Mel Grant (77) to a 2-year $6.00 mil deal.  He was one of my first draft picks for Chicago, didn’t pan out there but I’d like to bring him back and see how he progressed. Can play some 2 guard too. 

Signed SG Brent Saunders (74) to a 3-year $7.50 mil deal.  Saunders is another role player I’m stealing from the Bulls.  He’s extremely athletic but raw otherwise. 

Signed PG Keith Cousins (75) to a 2-year $4.50 mil deal.  Athletic backup PG. 

Signed PG AJ Quinn (71) to a 2-year $4.50 mil deal.  Really young PG prospect. 

Signed PF Jeff Walsh (63) to a 3-year $3.50 mil deal.  He’s really young and a good interior defender. 

Major Contract Signings:

C Diamond Stone – Warriors – 4 years, $103.10 mil (why?  They traded for Stephen Adams before the draft)

SF Ben Simmons – 76ers – 5 years, $175.45 mil

SG Malik Monk – Hornets – 4 years, $119.78 mil

PF Julius Randle – Nuggets – 4 years, $108.46 mil (yikes why?)

PF Bobby Portis – Spurs – 4 years, $103.36 mil (yikes again)

C Bam Adebayo – Heat – 4 years, $112.98 mil (they love overpaying mediocre Centers)

C Ante Zizic – Suns – 4 years, $115.99 mil (everyone’s getting paid)

PG Marcus Smart – Kings – 4 years, $95.67 mil

PF Dario Saric – Mavericks – 3 years, $52.53 mil (solid signing)

PF Abe Wooden – Kings – 4 years, $104.92 mil

SF Denzel Valentine – Trailblazers – 4 year, $130.47 mil (and to think I dumped him year 1 of my franchise)

PF Chris McCullough – Clippers – 4 year, $125.35 mil (this is getting insane)

PG Alexi Gornev – Jazz – 3 years, $74.56 mil (great signing they stole him from Bulls)

SG Donovan Mitchell – Jazz – 4 years, $113.86 mil

SF Furkan Korkmaz – Bulls – 3 years, $81.56 mil (what?  Why?  To come off the bench?)

C Malik Flowers – Kings – 3 years, $81.56 mil (former Bulls Center back in the day)

C Willy Hernangomez – Jazz - 3 years, $80.10 mil (How much money do they have?)

PG Kemba Walker – Hornets – 3 years, $70.60 mil (solid deal)

PF Marquese Chriss – Clippers – 4 years, $117.65 mil

SF Jonathan Isaac – Magic – 4 years, $131.19 mil

C Zach Collins – Trailblazers – 3 years, $57.92 mil

Opening Day Roster - Year 8
Position Name OVR Potential Age Years Remaining Current Annual Salary (mil)
PG Allan Meredith 81 B+ 26 1 $4.66
SG Billy Watkins 81 A 26 1 $4.53
SF Mel Grant 79 B+ 28 2 $2.93
PF Trey Lyles 81 A- 28 2 $18.42
PF Ed Hansen 78 B+ 27 3 $3.81

PG Keith Cousins 76 B 26 2 $2.20
PG AJ Quinn 74 B- 22 2 $2.20
SG Brent Saunders 81 B 28 3 $2.38
SF Maurice Harkless 80 A- 31 1 $5.64
SF Al Clark 74 B- 24 2 $2.06
SF Vlado Tarlac 70 B+ 23 4 $1.38
PF Alan Williams 80 A- 31 2 $13.23
PF Jeff Walsh 65 B- 23 3 $1.11
C Henry Ellenson 80 A- 27 2 $13.08
C Keith Mitchell 68 B 21 2 $1.11

*TRADE*

Milwaukee Bucks Receive

PG Allan Meredith (80)

C Henry Ellenson (80)

Detroit Pistons Receive

SF Nicolas Batum (77)

2025 Bucks 1st Round Pick (unprotected)

Ellenson contract was awful (2-years, $26 mil), and I had to throw in Meredith basically for someone to take him.  Besides, I plan on starting Hansen at Center and my Rookie Center needs minutes as the backup.  Batum is on an expiring contract and the first gives me another cheap prospect.  

*TRADE*

Los Angeles Lakers Receive

SG Billy Watkins (80)

PF Trey Lyles (80)

Detroit Pistons Receive

SG Kentavious Caldwell Pope (79)

2028 Lakers 1st Round Pick (unprotected)

This is a straight salary dump.  Trey Lyles is making $18 mil per season the next 2 years which is ridiculous.  I had to throw in Watkins (who's a solid prospect) just to get anyone to bite.  Pope is making $23 mil this year but is expiring.  

*TRADE*

Los Angeles Clippers Receive

PF Alan Williams (80)

2027 Pistons 2nd Round Pick

Detroit Pistons Receive

SG Bogdan Bogdanovic (76)

I'm getting nothing out of this other than dumping Williams 2-year $28 mil contract.  Sorry for all the trades, but the Pistons had a ton of bad contracts on the roster I need to purge.  

Archived