PFF Simulator mock

warfelg

ROUND 1 PICK 24

So this pick came up, and I had offers from the Bills (pick 30), Patriots (pick 46), Chargers (pick 47), and the Jets (pick 34).  I ultimately took the Jets offer.  Pick 24 -> Pick 34, Pick 66, 2022 3rd.

ROUND 2 PICK 34

Travis Etienne RB ClemsonI know this might not be everyone's favorite pick here as a first pick, especially given his lack of ground production in 2020.  But that comes with the caveat that he really put in a lot of work to become a better pass catcher.  That wider versatility makes him more appealing to me because he still has that ground ability.

Alternative pick: Samuel Cosmi OT Texas.  Almost went this way, but now have the ability to move up a touch for one of many OT's that are still available on the board that can start on day one.  I don't feel RB is as deep as it could be so getting one of the top 2 early was important.

ROUND 2 PICK 42

TRADE: Pick 55, Pick 87, 2022 4th -> NYG Pick 42

Liam Eichenberg OT Notre Dame: Has only allowed 24 pressures and 0 sacks over two years.  Coming from a spread based team that also runs downhill a good bit, Eichenberg is skilled in blocking from a variety of sets for both pass set and run set.  He's an OT you can put on an island day 1 and not worry too much about it.  Always faced the gueling ND schedule and quality edge guys because of it.

Alternative pick: Landon Dickerson OC Alabama.  Didn't think twice about this.  OC can be picked later or we could be filling this hole in FA.  With the growing list of quality centers found in the 3-5 rounds, taking one as early as we have often been projected feels like a massive mistake.

ROUND 3 PICK 66

Ifeatu Melifonwu CB Syracuse: Big, long, physical, and athletic corner.  PFF grades him extremely high.  With both Sutton and Hilton being FAs and likely only 1 coming back, along with Haden's age and Nelson's contract status (FWIW anyone see CBSSports has him listed as a potential cap casualty?) drafting a potential outside corner early feels like a priority.

Alternative pick: Creed Humphrey OC Oklahoma

ROUND 4 PICK 128

Josh Meyers OC Ohio State: What would a Steelers draft without a B1G player form OSU/MU be like?  Well we won't worry.  Meyers like Eichenberg comes from a system that ran more like what Canada might bring.  Can you see a theme here in the picks being from those systems?

Alternative pick: Drake Jackson OC Kentucky

ROUND 4 PICK 141

TRADE: Pick 141, Pick 253 -> NYJ Pick 147, Pick 188

ROUND 5 PICK 147

Hunter Long TE Boston College: He feels a lot like Heath Miller to me.  Not a hyper athlete, not a pure blocker.  He's a solid all around TE and frankly a steal at this point of the draft.

Alternative pick: Elerson Smith EDGE Northern Iowa

ROUND 6 PICK 188

Charles Snowden EDGE Virginia: Snowden was streaky in college, but he is absolutely huge at 6'7" but a lean 240 pounds.  The question will be run defense and bend around the edge, but in round 6 as a rotational EDGE guy he brings a bunch to the table.

Alternative pick: Austin Watkins WR UAB

ROUND 6 PICK 217

Trevon Grimes WR Florida: 6'4" and 218 pounds with some feet to match it.  He's a likely matchup nightmare.  Him and Claypool bring some size and problems, especially in the redzone.

Alternative pick: Brady Breeze S Oregon

ROUND 6 PICK 225

TRADE: Pick 225 -> NE Pick 241, 2023 7th

ROUND 7 PICK 241

Amari Gainer LB FSU

ROUND 7 PICK 244

Ian Book QB Notre Dame

POST DRAFT NO FA ROSTER:

QB - Ben Roethlisberger, Mason Rudolph, Dwayne Haskins, Ian Book

RB - Travis Etienne, Benny Snell, Anthony McFarland

FB - Derek Watt

WR - Diontae Johnson, Chase Claypool, James Washington, Ray-Ray McCloud, Trevon Grimes

TE - Eric Ebron, Hunter Long, Kevin Radar

LT - Liam Eichenberg, Chucks Okorafor

LG - Kevin Dodson, JC Haussenaur

OC - Josh Meyers, JC Haussenaur

RG - David DeCastro, JC Haussenaur

RT - Zach Banner, Chucks Okorafor

RDT - Cam Heyward, Isaiah Buggs

NT - Carlos Davis, Henry Mondeaux

LDE - Stephon Tuitt, Isaiah Buggs

ROLB - Alex Highsmith, Charles Snowden

ILB - Devin Bush, Vince Williams, Robert Spillane, Marcus Allen

LOLB - TJ Watt, Ola Adeniyi

CB - Joe Haden, Steven Nelson, Ifeatu Melifonwu, Justin Layne, James Pierre

S - Minkah Fitzpatrick, Terrell Edmunds, Antoine Brooks Jr.

Really like that draft...just got a feeling they’re gonna draft a Center higher than an OT.

And yes, Nelson being a possible cut is stupid...he’s far more likely to sign an extension this offseason anyways.

Edited by AFF

5 minutes ago, AFF said:

Really like that draft...just got a feeling they’re gonna draft a Center higher than an OT.

I don’t. Like I said in the explanations, OC is a bit deeper than OT despite OT having the higher top end. If you don’t get one of these OTs in the first two rounds you won’t get a starter. You can get a starter at center a touch later. 

11 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I would be happy with that draft.  checked a lot of boxes

That’s what I tried to do. Wanted one of the first 4 picks to be a contributor year one and future starter. Menifonwu is quickly becoming that guy for me. 6’3” and 215, solid tackler. Long arms. Able to jam and disengage without being out of position. Can play man or zone. 

8 hours ago, warfelg said:

I don’t. Like I said in the explanations, OC is a bit deeper than OT despite OT having the higher top end. If you don’t get one of these OTs in the first two rounds you won’t get a starter. You can get a starter at center a touch later. 

Colbert came out recently during an interview and stated the exact opposite...we both know he doesn’t throw up smokescreens draft wise.

Regardless the OL needs addressed ...with 5 picks in the 1st 4rounds I’m expecting 2 OL picks.

I think it’s a very interesting to note the trade of 2022 3rd and 4th rd picks. Not sure if you did this purposely, but I could see Steelers making similar moves in this draft knowing that they’ll most likely be receiving 3rd and 4th rd comp picks next year. Similar to what they did with trading up to draft Bush. They traded the next years 3rd while assuming they’d get that pick back through the loss of Bell. 

Overall, I’d be happy with this draft. Not super high on RB with 1st pick, but it is clearly a need while assuming Connor will not be resigned. I am still high on McFarland. Not sure if he can be a bell cow, but I like his upside and believe he is the best rb Steelers currently have on their roster. 

• Like 1