Official lazily slapped together Spring Training thread.

Thelonebillsfan

1 minute ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Just overall, you seem upset about Kelenic not coming up right away the most, I suppose.

No. Not angry whatsoever. Annoyed? Absolutely. Tired of service time manipulation. There's not another North American sport that can screw with your money like baseball.

Basketball? 4 years (2 guaranteed, 2 team options)
Football? 4 years with a 5th year option for 1st rounders
Hockey? Age based entry level contracts that run into RFA/bridge deals.

Hope a labor stoppage happens.

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

No. Not angry whatsoever. Annoyed? Absolutely. Tired of service time manipulation. There's not another North American sport that can screw with your money like baseball.

Basketball? 4 years (2 guaranteed, 2 team options)
Football? 4 years with a 5th year option for 1st rounders
Hockey? Age based entry level contracts that run into RFA/bridge deals.

Hope a labor stoppage happens.

Kelenic's situation is not service time manipulation at all, though. The guy is 21, was literally JUST injured, and has 92 PA's above the A+ level. I realize that Mariners story with the CEO puts a big spotlight on the whole situation, but be real about it. No club would call him up in this situation right now... 

EDIT: Also, there's not another sport where when you get another contract, your money is guaranteed, at least as far as I know. Baseball players absolutely make the most money out of all those sports, especially the stars. It's so crazy to me when there are people clamoring for sports players to make MORE money. The minor leagues definitely need to make more money, but the pros absolutely do not. Rookie contracts might need revamped though, I will agree there.

Edited by Mesa_Titan

Just now, Mesa_Titan said:

Kelenic's situation is not service time manipulation at all, though. The guy is 21, was literally JUST injured, and has 92 PA's above the A+ level. I realize that Mariners story with the CEO puts a big spotlight on the whole situation, but be real about it. No club would call him up in this situation right now... 

You're right. The Nats definitely didn't call up Juan Soto after 35 AA PA (108 PA total above A ball) at 19 years old.

Listen, Kelenic may not be ready. Sure. But it's a broad spectrum issue, not a specific issue. Has been for ages. That's all there is too it. Anybody denying it's a problem in the sport is naive.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

You're right. The Nats definitely didn't call up Juan Soto after 35 AA PA (108 PA total above A ball) at 19 years old.

Listen, Kelenic may not be ready. Sure. But it's a broad spectrum issue, not a specific issue. Has been for ages. That's all there is too it. Anybody denying it's a problem in the sport is naive.

There's always going to be outliers, my guy. I get what you're saying. I agree with you that there is an issue with service time manipulation. I was simply stating that in my opinion it's not the case with Kelenic's situation right now.

8 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

There's always going to be outliers, my guy. I get what you're saying. I agree with you that there is an issue with service time manipulation. I was simply stating that in my opinion it's not the case with Kelenic's situation right now.

Change Kelenic to Kirilloff then. Same point. Kirilloff was good enough to start a playoff game for the Twins, while Jake Cave got 1 AB in that series, yet Cave gets the roster spot over Kirilloff? Guy is good enough to play in the most important game of the season for ya but not good enough to make the Opening Day roster. Yes, I know Kirilloff struggled in ST but it's not like Cave did much better.

Sure, Soto is an outlier but how much is that due to past service time manipulation? My guess is every single team in MLB has the same type of layout that Mather described. I dunno. Just annoyed. Baseball is the one sport where they keep the talent off the field when people wanna see it.

Edited by beekay414

23 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Change Kelenic to Kirilloff then. Same point. Kirilloff was good enough to start a playoff game for the Twins, while Jake Cave got 1 AB in that series, yet Cave gets the roster spot over Kirilloff? Guy is good enough to play in the most important game of the season for ya but not good enough to make the Opening Day roster.

Sure, Soto is an outlier but how much is that due to past service time manipulation? My guess is every single team in MLB has the same type of layout that Mather described. I dunno. Just annoyed. Baseball is the one sport where they keep the talent off the field when people wanna see it.

It's not as simple as that, though. I really do get what you're saying, but baseball is very different from every other sport. Guys can come right out of college or even high school and dominate in the pros. That does not and has never happened in baseball. You can ruin a prospect by rushing him.

Just now, Mesa_Titan said:

It's not as simple as that, though. I really do get what you're saying, but baseball is very different from every other sport. Guys can come right out of college or even high school and dominate in the pros. That does not and has never happened in baseball. You can ruin a prospect by rushing him.

Nowhere did I say guys should be rushed though? We're also in a weird year where a few of these guys (Witt, Kelenic) lost a year of those AA PAs but it was still a year of development at the ATS for the respective teams. 

It is what it is. I fully expect a work stoppage after 2021 and the abolishment of the Super 2 rule.