2017-2018 NBA GDT: Off the court discussions

11sanchez11

NBA Champions  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who's The Favorite to Win it All This Year?

• Warriors
    • Cavaliers
    • Someone Else, Somehow?

Just now, jrry32 said:

His post:

My response:

You made yourself look the fool because you didn't bother to verify things before you made wildly inaccurate claims. It's for the best that you're done here.

What do those NFL coaches have to do with the discussion, whatsoever? I get the parallel you're making. It just so happens to be irrelevant.

We get it, Jerry, you're a lawyer. But generally speaking, you're an idiot.

1 minute ago, bkobow05 said:

I'm not comparing Pop and Lowe and you know that. I'm comparing someone who didn't play the game at a high level to someone who did. Knowledge isn't based on talent, homie.

I think anyone would agree that coaching the game is an effective method for learning it as well as those who play it. You're correct. Knowledge isn't based on talent. It's based on the work you put in, the people you have to teach you, and the circumstances surrounding you. Zach Lowe certainly does not know nothing about basketball. That's not been my point. My point is that Durant has as much right to fire back as anyone has a right to criticize him. And when compared to him, Zach Lowe does not know basketball (at least from the playing standpoint). Compared to me, Zach Lowe is a basketball genius.

56 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Compared to Kevin Durant, Zach Lowe doesn't know basketball.

Based on what?  I have no idea who knows more about the game, but I'd wager that Lowe knows more.  The only 2 current players I'd say for sure know more are LeBron and CP3, but that's simply my opinion.

I don't care if you think Durant knows more or not.  Durant saying Lowe or people like him don't know anything and outright stating that they don't watch basketball is wrong and stupid.  That's my issue.  Durant is making a blanket statement to encompass all members of the sports-writing media as if he has direct knowledge of these things.  It's just like retired players saying current teams and players couldn't handle the "good old days" and suck compared to the great teams of the past; it comes from a place of arrogance and stubborn naivety, not knowledge.

1 minute ago, utley4568 said:

What do those NFL coaches have to do with the discussion, whatsoever? I get the parallel you're making. It just so happens to be irrelevant.

We get it, Jerry, you're a lawyer. But generally speaking, you're an idiot.

Utley, you're the personification of the Dunning-Kruger Effect. The fact that you still can't figure out the relevance of my analogy after I explained it to you in very clear terms speaks volumes. You're done here. You told us yourself.

22 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

But he doesn't come close to Durant in knowledge of the game as it pertains to playing it.

see, I don't even know what this means, or it's importance, or how anybody could argue either side. 

Durant is in the NBA because he is a 7ft tall super athlete who is also incredibly skilled at basketball. If he kept all of his skill and knowledge but was 6ft tall, would he then not know about playing basketball because he wouldn't be in the NBA?

Just now, jrry32 said:

I think anyone would agree that coaching the game is an effective method for learning it as well as those who play it. You're correct. Knowledge isn't based on talent. It's based on the work you put in, the people you have to teach you, and the circumstances surrounding you. Zach Lowe certainly does not know nothing about basketball. That's not been my point. My point is that Durant has as much right to fire back as anyone has a right to criticize him. And when compared to him, Zach Lowe does not know basketball (at least from the playing standpoint). Compared to me, Zach Lowe is a basketball genius.

But how can you make that assumption simply because Durant plays the game? Carmelo Anthony played the game at a high level but also plays it in some of the worst ways possible. You're going to say he knows more than Lowe simply because he ******* played? C'mon.

Next you'll tell me that Brett Favre knows more about playing QB than Mike McCarthy does simply because Favre played it.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

My point is that Durant has as much right to fire back as anyone has a right to criticize him.

Durant didn't fire back at anything though.  He wasn't responding to anything.  He was attempting to discredit based on inaccurate assumptions.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Utley, you're the personification of the Dunning-Kruger Effect. The fact that you still can't figure out the relevance of my analogy after I explained it to you in very clear terms speaks volumes. You're done here. You told us yourself.

The hypocrisy here is hilarious. Oh, and one of us works in a front office. A front office that trusts the opinion of Zach Lowe. So maybe, just maybe, admit that you're wrong for the first time in your life. I know you're too narcissistic to do that, though.

Just now, utley4568 said:

The hypocrisy here is hilarious. Oh, and one of us works in a front office. A front office that trusts the opinion of Zach Lowe. So maybe, just maybe, admit that you're wrong for the first time in your life. I know you're too narcissistic to do that, though.

I hate that you get to do what I should be doing but you earned it, my man.

2 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

see, I don't even know what this means, or it's importance, or how anybody could argue either side. 

Durant is in the NBA because he is a 7ft tall super athlete who is also incredibly skilled at basketball. If he kept all of his skill and knowledge but was 6ft tall, would he then not know about playing basketball because he wouldn't be in the NBA?

Probably not to the same extent he knows it now. It depends on how far he went in basketball as a player (and if he became a coach).

What it means is that playing the game, coaching the game, and building teams are all separate things that take different skill-sets and different knowledge (although, there is some cross-over, especially with coaching and playing).

1 minute ago, utley4568 said:

I've admitted many times in my life when I was wrong. But I won't do so here. You were wrong, Utley. Then, you turned to insults when you got called on it. And don't try the old Reality_Check "I'm kind of a big deal." It doesn't work on me. Tell ya what, Utley, if you're Gregg Popovich, and you tell me that Zach Lowe knows more than Kevin Durant about playing the game of basketball, then I'll admit that I am wrong.

6 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

But how can you make that assumption simply because Durant plays the game? Carmelo Anthony played the game at a high level but also plays it in some of the worst ways possible. You're going to say he knows more than Lowe simply because he ******* played? C'mon.

Next you'll tell me that Brett Favre knows more about playing QB than Mike McCarthy does simply because Favre played it.

You've already tried this approach. I just explained to you why it doesn't work. Brett Favre knows more about playing QB than Bob McGinn (as much as I respect Bob McGinn).

Just now, jrry32 said:

I've admitted many times in my life when I was wrong. But I won't do so here. You were wrong, Utley. Then, you turned to insults when you got called on it. And don't try the old Reality_Check "I'm kind of a big deal." It doesn't work on me. Tell ya what, Utley, if you're Gregg Popovich, and you tell me that Zach Lowe knows more than Kevin Durant about playing the game of basketball, then I'll admit that I am wrong.

What exactly was I wrong about? You tried to move the goalposts by bringing in the irrelevant football analogy.

And who is Reality_Check? Someone on the forum?

Just now, jrry32 said:

You've already tried this approach. I just explained to you why it doesn't work. Brett Favre knows more about playing QB than Bob McGinn (as much as I respect Bob McGinn).

Brett Favre didn't know what the **** a dime package was, dude. He's even admitted it. So, no, just because he played it doesn't mean he knows more. Favre got by based on his talent, not his understanding. 

Archived