2017-2018 NBA GDT: Off the court discussions

11sanchez11

NBA Champions  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who's The Favorite to Win it All This Year?

• Warriors
    • Cavaliers
    • Someone Else, Somehow?

Just now, utley4568 said:

What exactly was I wrong about? You tried to move the goalposts by bringing in the irrelevant football analogy.

And who is Reality_Check? Someone on the forum?

That exact thing. I never moved the goal-posts. I responded directly to the point Sanchez was making with an analogy based on a point he had made earlier in his argument. And then, you later claimed that it was only a footnote to our actual discussion, which was also erroneous.

Just now, jrry32 said:

That exact thing. I never moved the goal-posts. I responded directly to the point Sanchez was making with an analogy based on a point he had made earlier in his argument. And then, you later claimed that it was only a footnote to our actual discussion, which was also erroneous.

If it wasn't a footnote, then why wasn't it addressed since that point? There's an easy way to settle this.

@11sanchez11, in this debate, was your point that football is more difficult to learn than basketball or that it's possible for Lowe to know more than Durant?

11 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

What it means is that playing the game, coaching the game, and building teams are all separate things that take different skill-sets and different knowledge (although, there is some cross-over, especially with coaching and playing).

well this is obvious. Obviously a player needs to be able to hit a jumpshot (or some other set of NBA skills) to play in the NBA. And the coach needs to be able to call a proper play, and a gm needs to be able to select a player. But can we say that Isiah Thomas, perhaps the best PG to ever play, doesn't know basketball because he was a terrible GM? If your only knowledge of basketball is how to play it do you get to talk about it (because you don't have other basketball knowledge)?

Really the my last point. I don't ever recall any players suggesting people can't understand basketball just from watching. There thing is always that they don't think people watch games. That's the basketball equivalent of "you don't know my assignment/the scheme we are running, etc" in football. Again, because basketball is super simple and we know what they are supposed to do just from watching.

Just now, bkobow05 said:

Brett Favre didn't know what the **** a dime package was, dude. He's even admitted it. So, no, just because he played it doesn't mean he knows more. Favre got by based on his talent, not his understanding. 

Yea, Favre asked early in his career what those things were. Do you honestly think Fave had no idea what was going on out there during his career? He just took the snap, looked for an open guy and threw it?

1 minute ago, 11sanchez11 said:

well this is obvious. Obviously a player needs to be able to hit a jumpshot (or some other set of NBA skills) to play in the NBA. And the coach needs to be able to call a proper play, and a gm needs to be able to select a player. But can we say that Isiah Thomas, perhaps the best PG to ever play, doesn't know basketball because he was a terrible GM? If your only knowledge of basketball is how to play it do you get to talk about it (because you don't have other basketball knowledge)?

Really the my last point. I don't ever recall any players suggesting people can't understand basketball just from watching. There thing is always that they don't think people watch games. That's the basketball equivalent of "you don't know my assignment/the scheme we are running, etc" in football. Again, because basketball is super simple.

You can certainly say that Thomas doesn't know how to build a team.

2 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

If it wasn't a footnote, then why wasn't it addressed since that point? There's an easy way to settle this.

@11sanchez11, in this debate, was your point that football is more difficult to learn than basketball or that it's possible for Lowe to know more than Durant?

It was addressed, dude. It was addressed with that point and the subsequent point in the same post.

P.S. Both of those things were points he made (well, his point about football actually was that it's a more complex game).

Just now, jrry32 said:

Yea, Favre asked early in his career what those things were. Do you honestly think Fave had no idea what was going on out there during his career? He just took the snap, looked for an open guy and threw it?

Yep, paint the picture that way lol.

Favre got to the highest levels of football, became a starter, and had no idea what something as simple as a dime package was. Do I think he didn't have a grasp on what he was doing? No, because I'm not stupid. Do I think he knows more than someone just because he played it at a high level? Hell no. 

Basketball is crazy simple. KD acting like Lowe doesn't know **** was as ignorant as you pretending that playing it means you know more about it. Those people that can put together a great team and coach those great teams, know a thing or two about how to play the game. Otherwise, how the hell do you get where you're at in the first place?

Just now, bkobow05 said:

Yep, paint the picture that way lol.

Favre got to the highest levels of football, became a starter, and had no idea what something as simple as a dime package was. Do I think he didn't have a grasp on what he was doing? No, because I'm not stupid. Do I think he knows more than someone just because he played it at a high level? Hell no. 

Basketball is crazy simple. KD acting like Lowe doesn't know **** was as ignorant as you pretending that playing it means you know more about it. Those people that can put together a great team and coach those great teams, know a thing or two about how to play the game. Otherwise, how the hell do you get where you're at in the first place?

Do you think if you sat down with Favre that you would be able to effectively hold your own in a conversation about the intricacies of the West Coach Offense? Do you think if you turned on old game tape that you'd be able to hold your own if Favre started breaking down defenses?

1 minute ago, bkobow05 said:

****, playing the game is the easy part. The difference in playing it at a high level is based on talent, not mental capacity.

I agree that the difference in playing it at the highest level is based on talent. I agree that plenty of people are intelligent enough to acquire the knowledge that the guys at the highest levels have. The difference is that the guys at the highest level have people to impart that knowledge onto them. They have people like Popovich, Spoelstra, Kerr, Stevens, Jackson, etc. And Popovich had people like Larry Brown, Don Nelson, etc.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Do you think if you sat down with Favre that you would be able to effectively hold your own in a conversation about the intricacies of the West Coach Offense? Do you think if you turned on old game tape that you'd be able to hold your own if Favre started breaking down defenses?

Oh so it's me vs Favre now lol. You're super good at deflecting. Can tell you're a lawyer.

Where did I ever come off like I, MYSELF, knew more than Favre? Hmm?

So...on a different note...good to see Dante Exum back.  If he can get in game shape and integrate himself over these next 2 weeks, then Utah's defense is going to be beyond insane and he gives them another athlete who can create.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

I agree that the difference in playing it at the highest level is based on talent. I agree that plenty of people are intelligent enough to acquire the knowledge that the guys at the highest levels have. The difference is that the guys at the highest level have people to impart that knowledge onto them. They have people like Popovich, Spoelstra, Kerr, Stevens, Jackson, etc. And Popovich had people like Larry Brown, Don Nelson, etc.

Just because they have those people that impart that knowledge onto them doesn't mean they GET it. Just means they've got someone who can direct them where they need to be.

18 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

And who is Reality_Check? Someone on the forum?

Forgot to respond to this. He posted in the Draft Forum on the old FF. IRL, he's Benjamin Allbright on Twitter. Often, when he'd get into a heated debate, he'd throw out the old, "I get paid to write about football" line with the implication that fact foreclosed any further discussion. I had no issues with the guy. He knows football well and doesn't seem to be a bad guy, but he was a bit arrogant, and that statement never had any sort of effect on me.

3 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

Oh so it's me vs Favre now lol. You're super good at deflecting. Can tell you're a lawyer.

Where did I ever come off like I, MYSELF, knew more than Favre? Hmm?

Okay, do you think Bob McGinn would hold his own?

Are you jealous of my profession? Not sure how that is relevant to this discussion.

2 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

Just because they have those people that impart that knowledge onto them doesn't mean they GET it. Just means they've got someone who can direct them where they need to be.

I feel confident that a guy that's as elite as Durant is gets it.

Archived