Agarcia34 Mock draft

agarcia34

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Yep. Can't remember if you were on the Johnson crew but I was calling for him at 19. Was my #2 CB behind Okudah and 25th player overall. Legit physical press man corner with lockdown coverage every single year in college. 

I would say there was three solid Rookie CB's last year:

1. L'Jarius Sneed (selected by Chiefs in the 4th Round)

2. AJ Terrell (selected by Falcons #16)

3. Jaylon Johnson (selected by Bears in the 2nd Round)

Terrell had a shaky first 6-7 games but he was total lockdown in the second half of the season and really came to life. 

A couple of problems with what you’re saying here: 

with Sneed, no one knew he was going to do what he did(hence the pick in the fourth round)

with AJ Terrel(Who it Hass to be reminded we never had a chance of picking because he wasn’t there at 19) it took him 6 to 7 games to start looking like a first round corner; Arnette only played seven games(I wonder how we would be looking at Aj Terrel if we drafted him 12th and he got hurt after seven games)

with Jaylon Johnson it’s important to recognize that of all the corners that have been mentioned or were picked in the first two days he had the best pass rush to work with by far. 

This is why other corners like Gladney or Jeffrey Okudah(Who was supposed to be can’t miss prospect) Played horribly

as someone who played corner for a long time, any corner will tell you pass rush makes a complete difference. 

I’m just throwing all that out there LOL

Edited by Jeremy408

48 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

A couple of problems with what you’re saying here: 

with Sneed, no one knew he was going to do what he did(hence the pick in the fourth round)

with AJ Terrel(Who it Hass to be reminded we never had a chance of picking because he wasn’t there at 19) it took him 6 to 7 games to start looking like a first round corner; Arnette only played seven games(I wonder how we would be looking at Aj Terrel if we drafted him 12th and he got hurt after seven games)

with Jaylon Johnson it’s important to recognize that of all the corners that have been mentioned or were picked in the first two days he had the best pass rush to work with by far. 

This is why other corners like Gladney or Jeffrey Okudah(Who was supposed to be can’t miss prospect) Played horribly

as someone who played corner for a long time, any corner will tell you pass rush makes a complete difference. 

I’m just throwing all that out there LOL

I agree with you partly on Okudah but I never liked Gladney coming out at all and always thought he’d fail. He was extremely grabby, raw, and overrated as a prospect. 

Henderson I liked his coverage but had a huge issue with his non-willingness to tackle. 

And Johnson was a beast in coverage every year as a starter. He was great in Man to Man, great in Press, solid in Zone, best instincts in the class, above-average tackler, best punch-out ball move of any corner, third best pure coverage corner behind Okudah/Henderson, and just a pure dog of a corner. 

I had Okudah as my CB1 and Top 5 Prospect, had Johnson CB2 at #25, Henderson CB3 at #29, and Terrell CB4 at #31. 

Everyone else I had as a Mid 2nd Rounder or later. 

Arnette should of been picked no where near the 1st and was a projected Nickel Corner by almost every analyst, website, fan, etc before the draft. You’re one of the few fans who thinks he’s an Outside Corner. 

Edited by BayRaider

Speaking of Gladney, have the same problem with Jaycee Horn this year. Extremely grabby and and could be a penalty machine in the NFL. Most have him ranked Top 15 but I have him #28. He’s a much better version of Gladney though and more polished, so I think he’s a 1st Round Talent. However, Farley and Surtain are head and shoulders the Top 2 Corners in this class. 

48 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I agree with you partly on Okudah but I never liked Gladney coming out at all and always thought he’d fail. He was extremely grabby, raw, and overrated as a prospect. 

Henderson I liked his coverage but had a huge issue with his non-willingness to tackle. 

And Johnson was a beast in coverage every year as a starter. He was great in Man to Man, great in Press, solid in Zone, best instincts in the class, above-average tackler, best punch-out ball move of any corner, third best pure coverage corner behind Okudah/Henderson, and just a pure dog of a corner. 

I had Okudah as my CB1 and Top 5 Prospect, had Johnson CB2 at #25, Henderson CB3 at #29, and Terrell CB4 at #31. 

Everyone else I had as a Mid 2nd Rounder or later. 

Arnette should of been picked no where near the 1st and was a projected Nickel Corner by almost analyst, website, fan, etc before the draft. You’re one of the few fans who thinks he’s an Outside Corner. 

I respect your analysis. However there are a couple things you’ve got to consider that I don’t think you have. 

When it comes to Jaylon Johnson When it comes to your college analysis of him in comparison to Arnette . They practically have the same measurable’s and testing(johnson’s arms are longer by 1 inch).  

in terms of stats Arnette had better stats this link shows that Arnett had the lowest completion percentage in single coverage of any corner who played on the outside coming out last year

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2020-nfl-draft-top-10-cornerbacks-by-coverage-situation

In terms of tape Arnette had a better tape. here is every target against both players the year that they came out. 

In terms of level of competition Arnette obviously played better receivers(going against T Higgins and Justyn Ross being thrown to by Trevor Lawrence) Giving up three catches for less than 30 yards and no TDS

Jaylon Johnson on the other hand played usc where he was beat deep for a touchdown by Amon ra st Brown being thrown to buy Jt Daniels. 

In terms of what draft analyst think. It’s important to note the draft analysts are wrong too and A lot of things are looked at besides actual football when  being ranked such as age which Arnette is 25. 

Edited by Jeremy408

Arm Length, even 1 inch, matters a lot when it comes to CB's. Arnettes Thin Frame and 30" Arm Length is historically, and accurately, projected as a Nickel CB in the NFL. Also, Arnette had Okudah opposite of him and had the best pass rusher in college football with Chase Young. Also he was not better in pure coverage than Johnson, lol. I suppose you didn't watch all their games. Besides eye test, I suppose I'll have to reference PFF (not a huge fan) since I can't go over hours of tape with you, but PFF had Johnson at a 90 cover grade all 3 years while Arnette was a 74. Did Arnette have better technique? Yes. Arnette's technique is flawless. Ohio State's DB Coaching is always the best in the world. 

No one in their right mind thought Arnette was going to be a better Outside CB than Jaylon Johnson. Now, if you wanted to argue Arnette will be a better Nickel CB than Jaylon Johnson will be an Outside CB, that's a great debate! Arnette has the technique, coverage ability, and measurable to be a stud Nickel, while Johnson has the tools and potential to be a stud Outside CB. They should both be massively successful at those positions. 

Found my CB Rankings from last year:

Screen-Shot-2021-04-25-at-5-56-46-PM.png

And here's this year:

Screen-Shot-2021-04-25-at-5-46-49-PM.png

The Outside CB's end at Campbell. Both Samuel and Trill are NCB's in the NFL. 

18 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Arm Length, even 1 inch, matters a lot when it comes to CB's. Arnettes Thin Frame and 30" Arm Length is historically, and accurately, projected as a Nickel CB in the NFL. Also, Arnette had Okudah opposite of him and had the best pass rusher in college football with Chase Young. Also he was not better in pure coverage than Johnson, lol. I suppose you didn't watch all their games. Besides eye test, I suppose I'll have to reference PFF (not a huge fan) since I can't go over hours of tape with you, but PFF had Johnson at a 90 cover grade all 3 years while Arnette was a 74. Did Arnette have better technique? Yes. Arnette's technique is flawless. Ohio State's DB Coaching is always the best in the world. 

No one in their right mind thought Arnette was going to be a better Outside CB than Jaylon Johnson. Now, if you wanted to argue Arnette will be a better Nickel CB than Jaylon Johnson will be an Outside CB, that's a great debate! Arnette has the technique, coverage ability, and measurable to be a stud Nickel, while Johnson has the tools and potential to be a stud Outside CB. They should both be massively successful at those positions. 

Found my CB Rankings from last year:

Screen-Shot-2021-04-25-at-5-56-46-PM.png

And here's this year:

Screen-Shot-2021-04-25-at-5-46-49-PM.png

The Outside CB's end at Campbell. Both Samuel and Trill are NCB's in the NFL. 

The reason why arm length matters is because Arm length+Height= whats called "length" which should give a corner the physical ability to handle bigger WRs. A huge misconception is that arm length alone means length. For example a corner that's 6 foot and has 30 inch arms is the equivalent to a corner that's 5'11 and has 31 inch arms or a 5'10 corner with 32 inch arms(Both of which there are plenty of examples of successful corners in the NFL).  The reason why you don't see a lot of corners that have 30 inch arms getting drafted in the first round is because you don't see a lot of 6 foot corners with 30 inch arms. Thats a key thing to understand. Most corners with 30 inch arms end up being nickel because they're usually also 5'10(Making them short in overall length). So a real question to ask is how many corners have you seen that are 6'0 with 30 inch arms. 

Something to think about: Why was Casey Hayward(who was 511 with 30 inch arms) an all pro in the Seattle cover three defense)? 

I actually watched extensive tape on both players(what side of the two videos I showed you that showed every target against each player). Arnette was clearly better in single coverage(and like I showed you before the numbers actually back that up). Sure he had Chase Young to work with in college I 100% agree with that but like I mentioned he also played 6 foot 4 wrs(one who's in the NFL thriving as a number one receiver on his team as a rookie and the other who is probably going to be in the top 10 of next years draft). 

I also wanna mention that I'm not a huge fan of PFF Grades at all the only reason why I sent you the stats(it happened to be on the PFF website) is because they actually tallied up the amount of targets that were in single coverage which is the coverage that matters most when evaluating a corner. Arnette had the lowest completion percentage in that department.