Jaguars Draft Options: Who do we need to stay away from?

.Buzz

As the title states, who are guys you just want nothing to do with? You can specify which pick you feel that way about (such as for me, I want nothing to do with Toney at 25 but if its at 45 I'd be largely fine with).

For me, especially at 25, I really don't want anything to do with Toney. He's a fun watch but I'm not taking a WR like him at 25. I love Rondale Moore's game but I'm beginning to feel similar about him that high.

Jayson Oweh just scares me. If Ojulari (pending knee medicals), Phillips, Rosseau, or Basham are there and we take Oweh over them I would be very disappointed.

The more I watch of the TEs the more I think we need to stay away from Pat F until ideally 45. I think you have guys like Tremble, Hunter Long, and Brevin Jordan who aren't that much lesser of prospects that you can get round 3. Taking him at 25 (no way) or 33 with all the likely fallers in the draft would be a bit of a reach imo. Wouldn't be upset with him at 33 per se, but I do think there will be much better value there.

• Like 2

I don't know if there's anyone I really think we should "stay away from" though there are guys I'd be disappointed in taking at certain spots. If I had to pick one guy at a position we'd reasonably take who I have the least faith in, it'd probably be Jalen Mayfield; specifically if you're expecting him to develop into a starting OT. I just don't see him as succeeding at OT and view him as OG only.

I will say: I think I'm more worried about Ojulari than I am Oweh. Ojulari is very athletic and has a high motor, but he lacks bend as an EDGE and lacks ideal length for a 3-4 EDGE rusher. I think he's someone who could still work in a hybrid-type defense like what we're going to have, but I think as a guy who rotates in at OLB in 4-3 looks who can be an effective blitzer, or as a rotational down EDGE who may need sacks schemed open for him. 

Carlos Basham Jr. is a good prospect, but I'm unsure of his fit in a 3-4. I think he's more of a 4-3 guy as well. Again, could work, especially in a hybrid defense, but I don't love it.

I think one of the things I like about Oweh is that he's raw and athletic enough to where you can develop him into exactly the type of player you want him to be. For me, if we go EDGE at 25/33, the guys I've kind of zoned in on in that area are Phillips if he falls, Oweh, Kwity Paye, and Zaven Collins. 

• Like 1

Although it would be kind of fun at the time, I'd prefer that we not draft any receivers this year.  We have enough of them already, and can use the firepower more in other areas on the field.  In addition, I don't see us getting a true #1 at #25 or later anyway, and that's what we really need.  We have several who could serve as #2 WR's.

Other than that, I'm just going to be content with whoever we get this year because I'm not even sure what our new coaching staff's plan for the team even is at this point.  I'm just going to try and be content with who we pick and see how things go from there. 

1 minute ago, Uncle Buck said:

Although it would be kind of fun at the time, I'd prefer that we not draft any receivers this year.  We have enough of them already, and can use the firepower more in other areas on the field.  In addition, I don't see us getting a true #1 at #25 or later anyway, and that's what we really need.  We have several who could serve as #2 WR's.

Other than that, I'm just going to be content with whoever we get this year because I'm not even sure what our new coaching staff's plan for the team even is at this point.  I'm just going to try and be content with who we pick and see how things go from there. 

Strong disagree.

We are drafting our franchise QB. I'm not cool standing pat on WR/legit weapons (a rookie TE isn't moving the needle if his name isn't Kyle Pitts). Get as much help as possible to make sure he has what he needs to succeed from the jump. 

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Strong disagree.

We are drafting our franchise QB. I'm not cool standing pat on WR/legit weapons (a rookie TE isn't moving the needle if his name isn't Kyle Pitts). Get as much help as possible to make sure he has what he needs to succeed from the jump. 

Yeah, but is there anyone we could actually get who could make much of a difference?  I think we have some pretty good receivers already.  Maybe Terrace Marshall I guess.  Being from Minnesota, I like Rashod Bateman as a player, but he still seems more like a #2 level receiver to me.  Rondale Moore is interesting, but too small for my preference.  Who else can be a game changer?

4 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Yeah, but is there anyone we could actually get who could make much of a difference?  I think we have some pretty good receivers already.  Maybe Terrace Marshall I guess.  Being from Minnesota, I like Rashod Bateman as a player, but he still seems more like a #2 level receiver to me.  Rondale Moore is interesting, but too small for my preference.  Who else can be a game changer?

Not about being a game changer. It's about getting as much talent around him as possible. Give him as many weapons and options as possible. I don't want there to be any issues or questions about supporting cast. Injuries happen and after the top 3 its largely meh (I like Colin Johnson but I'm not all in on him yet). Our TE situation is garbage. We have one legit RB.

Stack the skill position room. 

• Like 1

I like our WR group with Chark, Jones Jr., Shenault, and Collin Johnson, but I'm down to take a WR if the value makes sense especially if they are a true slot WR to compete with Phillip Dorsett at that position. I don't think it necessitates a high selection, though I'd love Toney or one of the Moores if the value makes sense at the selection. Otherwise, there are guys in the mid to late rounds who are interesting options. Off the top of my head: D'Wayne Eskridge, Cade Johnson, Jaelon Darden, Ihmir Smith-Marsette, and Tutu Atwell (though I'm not as high on him as I was earlier in the process) are all interesting options, imo. I'm sure I've forgotten some. With a draft this deep at WR, I think it'd be a disservice not to take one with as many picks as we have.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I agree with this. It's also why I'd be good with Travis Etienne high in the draft (though not my preference) because I think he's a high value RB and someone who offers a lot in the receiving game as well. I also like Kenneth Gainwell around rounds 2-4 in a similar role. There are other guys who offer similar skillsets, but those are two guys that came to my mind in this moment. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I agree with this. It's also why I'd be good with Travis Etienne high in the draft (though not my preference) because I think he's a high value RB and someone who offers a lot in the receiving game as well. I also like Kenneth Gainwell around rounds 2-4 in a similar role. There are other guys who offer similar skillsets, but those are two guys that came to my mind in this moment. 

I've been echoing this sentiment on Etienne as well.

I'm not pro RB in round 1, but with us drafting our franchise QB that goes out the window imo. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I've been echoing this sentiment on Etienne as well.

I'm not pro RB in round 1, but with us drafting our franchise QB that goes out the window imo. 

RB in round 1 isn't a sexy pick and it's true there's often good value RBs to be found later. I especially understand hesitancy within the fanbase to spend a pick on a RB, especially high, when we just found James Robinson as an undrafted guy. That said, with how RBs are valued, you're often going to find RBs whose talent level are much higher than where you're selecting and even if you only get a few years out of them. in reviewing past drafts, there are only a handful of players from the first round that even get a second contract with their original team even if they are good and good for a long time. I'm not going to advocate us hypothetically taking a RB at #25, and still think we probably shouldn't, but I'd also be ecstatic still if we did because of how talented both Etienne and Najee Harris are.

41 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Not about being a game changer. It's about getting as much talent around him as possible. Give him as many weapons and options as possible. I don't want there to be any issues or questions about supporting cast. Injuries happen and after the top 3 its largely meh (I like Colin Johnson but I'm not all in on him yet). Our TE situation is garbage. We have one legit RB.

I agree with you on having as much talent around him as possible, but I just wonder if we might be wise to wait until next year when we will have a higher draft pick than #25 to go after an elite one.

One player I've kind of been warming up to the possibility of is RB Travis Etienne.  Normally, I'm not big on going after a running back in the first round unless it is an Adrian Peterson caliber of player, but the fact that Etienne played with Trevor at Clemson, and his receiving ability might be a good way to make up for not having an elite tight end.

Edited by Uncle Buck
Just realized you guys already covered Etienne. Sorry.

36 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I like our WR group with Chark, Jones Jr., Shenault, and Collin Johnson, but I'm down to take a WR if the value makes sense especially if they are a true slot WR to compete with Phillip Dorsett at that position. I don't think it necessitates a high selection, though I'd love Toney or one of the Moores if the value makes sense at the selection. Otherwise, there are guys in the mid to late rounds who are interesting options. Off the top of my head: D'Wayne Eskridge, Cade Johnson, Jaelon Darden, Ihmir Smith-Marsette, and Tutu Atwell (though I'm not as high on him as I was earlier in the process) are all interesting options, imo. I'm sure I've forgotten some. With a draft this deep at WR, I think it'd be a disservice not to take one with as many picks as we have.

I was thinking of Tutu as being a lower cost alternative to Rondale Moore, but I heard a report that he has lost 6-8 pounds since his Pro Day.  If I'm remembering correctly, it put him at about 150 lbs.  That is REALLY light for an NFL player at any position.  I do like the idea of a guy with that kind of a skill set, but I just think our draft capital could be better spent in the trenches at this point.  You guys know our players better than I do though.  I'm going to need a season to really become acquainted with what everyone on the roster's capabilities are.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I agree with this. It's also why I'd be good with Travis Etienne high in the draft (though not my preference) because I think he's a high value RB and someone who offers a lot in the receiving game as well.

Much as I like Travis Etienne I'd prefer a bigger, N-S RB such as Najee Harris or Javonte Williams in the second round.

2 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Much as I like Travis Etienne I'd prefer a bigger, N-S RB such as Najee Harris or Javonte Williams in the second round.

Couldn't Robinson kind of serve that purpose though?  I know he's not a huge bruiser, but he was seemed to be effective in short yardage situations last year.