Jaguars Draft Options: Who do we need to stay away from?

.Buzz

2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Couldn't Robinson kind of serve that purpose though?

I assume they could  but they tended to target Robinson (11th) as a receiving back in 2020.  Given that, and considering that their QB will be a rookie and their O-Line strength is in the interior...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

I assume they could  but they tended to target Robinson (11th) as a receiving back in 2020.  Given that, and considering that their QB will be a rookie and their O-Line strength is in the interior...

That was because we had poor QB play and he was one of the few consistent guys we could lean on/easily get the ball in his hands.

We need that homerun hitter. Give me Etienne over Najee myself.

6 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Although it would be kind of fun at the time, I'd prefer that we not draft any receivers this year.  We have enough of them already, and can use the firepower more in other areas on the field.  In addition, I don't see us getting a true #1 at #25 or later anyway, and that's what we really need.  We have several who could serve as #2 WR's.

Other than that, I'm just going to be content with whoever we get this year because I'm not even sure what our new coaching staff's plan for the team even is at this point.  I'm just going to try and be content with who we pick and see how things go from there. 

Yeah...big disagree here as well.  I'm really hoping rondale Moore falls to 45 or even 65. I'd take him at either. 

- charles 

2 minutes ago, Charles said:

Big no to any edge rusher early.   Everyone likely available really look like boom or bust guys to me and I really want to see Allen and chaison in the new defense.

- charles 

We need more than two edge rushers though. They're going to be rotating/moving these guys around a lot. I also don't care to put all my chips in on Chaisson figuring it out. You hope he does (and his run at the end of the year was promising), but if he doesn't than our edge rush is pretty abysmal.

14 minutes ago, Charles said:

Big no to any edge rusher early.   Everyone likely available really look like boom or bust guys to me and I really want to see Allen and chaison in the new defense.

- charles 

I've been starting to want Gregory Rousseau.  I've read that he is big enough where he could put on a few pounds and play up on the line.  Then we could have his pass rush ability and still utilize Allen and Chaisson at the same time.  Having all three of them on the field on passing downs could make for a pretty fierce pass rush.  I'm with you though, Charles.  I don't want to give up on Allen and Chaisson either.  It's way too early for that.

Edited by Uncle Buck

Yeah. RE: EDGE. if the snap count #s I've seen are correct from Baltimore last season and we play a similar-styled defense, you shouldn't expect any EDGE or IDL to play more than about 75% of the time. Most of the time, the top snaps for those positions were in the 60-70% range. Only time it went 80%+ it looks like was with like Derek Wolfe but he plays IDL. This isn't super far off from the rest of the league either except a bit more rotational-heavy. but even if you expect to play Allen & Chaisson on 75% of snaps (possible Allen routinely hits that or higher, but probably not Chaisson), that still leaves 50% of snaps unaccounted for at EDGE LB.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Charles said:

You guys are probably right, but I'm just sick of watching an anemic offense year after year.  I could really give a crap about our defense this season as long as our offense is exciting. 

- charles 

As I said, I'm all about getting more playmakers. But we have 4 picks after Lawrence in the top 65 to work on that. I don't really see how all of them could be spent on weapons. Grab Etienne or one of the high end slots with one (or two) of the picks, rest can be trench help and/or a safety imo.

15 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

As I said, I'm all about getting more playmakers. But we have 4 picks after Lawrence in the top 65 to work on that. I don't really see how all of them could be spent on weapons. Grab Etienne or one of the high end slots with one (or two) of the picks, rest can be trench help and/or a safety imo.

It's a weird draft...it's entirely possible there's a ton of defensive talent available at 25 if no defensive players go in the top 10.  Really difficult to figure out how it's going to go.

- charles 

9 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I don't know if there's anyone I really think we should "stay away from" though there are guys I'd be disappointed in taking at certain spots. If I had to pick one guy at a position we'd reasonably take who I have the least faith in, it'd probably be Jalen Mayfield; specifically if you're expecting him to develop into a starting OT. I just don't see him as succeeding at OT and view him as OG only.

I will say: I think I'm more worried about Ojulari than I am Oweh. Ojulari is very athletic and has a high motor, but he lacks bend as an EDGE and lacks ideal length for a 3-4 EDGE rusher. I think he's someone who could still work in a hybrid-type defense like what we're going to have, but I think as a guy who rotates in at OLB in 4-3 looks who can be an effective blitzer, or as a rotational down EDGE who may need sacks schemed open for him. 

Carlos Basham Jr. is a good prospect, but I'm unsure of his fit in a 3-4. I think he's more of a 4-3 guy as well. Again, could work, especially in a hybrid defense, but I don't love it.

I think one of the things I like about Oweh is that he's raw and athletic enough to where you can develop him into exactly the type of player you want him to be. For me, if we go EDGE at 25/33, the guys I've kind of zoned in on in that area are Phillips if he falls, Oweh, Kwity Paye, and Zaven Collins. 

Plug basham in a 4i role. 

On 4/28/2021 at 4:09 PM, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Yeah. RE: EDGE. if the snap count #s I've seen are correct from Baltimore last season and we play a similar-styled defense, you shouldn't expect any EDGE or IDL to play more than about 75% of the time. Most of the time, the top snaps for those positions were in the 60-70% range. Only time it went 80%+ it looks like was with like Derek Wolfe but he plays IDL. This isn't super far off from the rest of the league either except a bit more rotational-heavy. but even if you expect to play Allen & Chaisson on 75% of snaps (possible Allen routinely hits that or higher, but probably not Chaisson), that still leaves 50% of snaps unaccounted for at EDGE LB.

On 4/28/2021 at 4:10 PM, Adrenaline_Flux said:

adding on: basically, I believe that in today's NFL, you need to be aiming to have at least three starting-quality EDGE players if you can.

Yeah.  This is pretty much the reality of today's league.  You just can't expect anyone to come off the edge all the time and still stay fresh and effective.  You need at least 3 starting caliber sort of edge rushers, and depth to rotate through the IDL as well.

So even if Allen can be as good as we all hope in a go-to role, and Chaisson does continue to figure it out and develop into a true starting caliber Edge guy...we'd still need another high-end guy there with a chance to be a difference maker.  And those conditions are far from a given to begin with, making it almost doubly important to at least get somebody in the building who can be part of a rotation that can hopefully accomplish something more than last year's pathetic showing.  If you can't threaten off the edges, your defense is going to be in the cellar of the league.