2022 NFL Draft Thread

NYRaider

Just now, ronjon1990 said:

RT, G, SS, RB, DT

RT is the obvious one. 

G is sort of in flux for us. There's ok potential, but we are extremely shallow. 

SS I don't want to see anymore of Abram. None. I hope he's gone. Thankfully, we brought in some competition already.

RB On paper Jacobs, Drake, Bolden, Ragas, Abdullah looks deep and solid. But one of Bolden/Abdullah probably doesn't make the 53, Ragas is developmental material but nothing more yet, Drake is a ? until we see him in action, and Jacobs is still underwhelming as a feature back imo. I'd take a day 3 flyer and let them battle for a PS spot and potential call up down the road. 

DT We've added bodies, but we've added bodies before. Hopefully someone pans out, but it's likely still a weak link on the D along with Abram. 

I anticipate being able to address at least 2 or even 3 of these via the draft with some quality prospects as is (aka: without a trade). If we could get even just 2 of them, ideally the OL, I think we're in good shape

I don't think we view RT as a huge need with what we just paid Parker but would still like a developmental guy or a veteran brought in. 

I don't think guard is a huge need, we have a bunch of bodies on the roster already. 

I also don't think that RB is a huge need, assuming Drake is fully healthy to start the season. I think that Bolden is a lock to make the team, didn't we pay him pretty well? And he played well in a third down RB role for the Patriots last season so it's someone that McDaniels trusts. Despite all the whining and complaining about Jacobs last year he still managed to produce 1,200 APY and his YPC of 4.0 was higher than it was the previous season.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I don't think we view RT as a huge need with what we just paid Parker but would still like a developmental guy or a veteran brought in. 

I don't think guard is a huge need, we have a bunch of bodies on the roster already. 

I also don't think that RB is a huge need, assuming Drake is fully healthy to start the season. I think that Bolden is a lock to make the team, didn't we pay him pretty well? And he played well in a third down RB role for the Patriots last season so it's someone that McDaniels trusts. Despite all the whining and complaining about Jacobs last year he still managed to produce 1,200 APY and his YPC of 4.0 was higher than it was the previous season.

I HOPE we view G and RT as a need lol.  A bunch of bodies, yes, but are any of them good? Lol. 

As for RB, like I said, more of a day 3 flyer type. If I had to guess, our opening roster will be Jacobs/Drake(if healthy)/Bolden. Abdullah and Ragas are likely gone, unless Drake isn't healthy. My concern, though, is Drake not being healthy and Jacobs always being dinged up. A PS body with potential is always a good thing, imo. 

• Like 1

Just now, ronjon1990 said:

I HOPE we view G and RT as a need lol.  A bunch of bodies, yes, but are any of them good? Lol. 

As for RB, like I said, more of a day 3 flyer type. If I had to guess, our opening roster will be Jacobs/Drake(if healthy)/Bolden. Abdullah and Ragas are likely gone, unless Drake isn't healthy. My concern, though, is Drake not being healthy and Jacobs always being dinged up. A PS body with potential is always a good thing, imo. 

I hope so too but it seems like they're content with running it back, lol.

I wouldn't mind a day 3 flier like the Pats took with Stevenson but does that mean we carry 4 RB?

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

If Carr goes down you feel comfortable with Strong starting?

No…. No one ever feels comfortable when their starting QB goes down aside from Joe Montana/Steve Rice or Brett Farve/Aaron Rodgers situations.

But to answer your question a different way…. if Carr went down for the remainder of the game or had to miss 1-2 games, the only available QB that I feel would give us the potential to win is Andy Dalton.  

So the question becomes ….. Would YOU feel comfortable with Cam Newton, Geno Smith, Blaine Gabbert, Mike Glennon, AJ McCarron, Josh Rosen, Joshua Donna? (I exclude Ryan Fitzpatrick because of cost plus age with recent injuries, but even him at this point in his career I don’t have faith in)

Carson Strong would be over his head coming in as a rookie, but he gives you a “throwers chance”.  The other QBs will all play the “conservative enough to lose at the end” approach.  But Strong seems like he’d come out chucking it.  Maybe he gets Nathan Peterman’d or maybe he wins the game, we’d have to see.  But when it comes to a backup QB I’d rather have a gunslinger who has the ability to win me the game, instead of a QB that will make it a close loss.

And Again… I’m not saying I want us to take Carson Strong at #86.  He’s likely gone before then anyways.  I’m not saying I wouldn’t take him at #86.  I just brought the idea up To discuss.

Just now, NYRaider said:

I wouldn't mind a day 3 flier like the Pats took with Stevenson but does that mean we carry 4 RB?

I think we carry 3* depending on Drake's recovery. Once he's ready to go, definitely 3. Prior, I could see 4 if he doesn't open the year on IR. 

I'm probably being unfair to Abdullah, but I just feel like he's little more than a camp body to mimic Bolden and limit wear and tear. I can't see him making the roster. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

What’s wrong with Ragas?  I think he’s a solid PS level RB you could always call up in an emergency.

Just now, jimkelly02 said:

But to answer your question a different way…. if Carr went down for the remainder of the game or had to miss 1-2 games, the only available QB that I feel would give us the potential to win is Andy Dalton.  

Which is why I said I'd prefer that we sign Andy Dalton or trade for Nick Foles and use our draft capital to address other positions of need. If we had all of our picks and a decent backup already I wouldn't mind a developmental QB.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Smith has the physical tools but his play doesn't always match his ability. Definitely a freak athlete though. What are your thoughts on JoJo Domann?

I don’t think Domann is anything more then a 6th round pick whose a core ST player.  

Just now, jimkelly02 said:

What’s wrong with Ragas?  I think he’s a solid PS level RB you could always call up in an emergency.

Absolutely nothing, as far as I'm concerned. I'd just be more comfortable with 2 RBs stashed until Drake is ready to go, especially with how often Jacobs gets hurt. Last thing we need is both Drake and Jacobs being out and having just Ragas and Bolden for a stretch. 

2 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I think we carry 3* depending on Drake's recovery. Once he's ready to go, definitely 3. Prior, I could see 4 if he doesn't open the year on IR. 

I'm probably being unfair to Abdullah, but I just feel like he's little more than a camp body to mimic Bolden and limit wear and tear. I can't see him making the roster. 

I could see a mid round RB though just because Jacobs is on a 1/2 year deal max, IIRC Drake's deal is also up after this season too.

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Which is why I said I'd prefer that we sign Andy Dalton or trade for Nick Foles and use our draft capital to address other positions of need. If we had all of our picks and a decent backup already I wouldn't mind a developmental QB.

I’m absolutely not comfortable paying Nick Foley’s $4M (idk if it’s $8m because of the $4m roster bonus, it guaranteed but not sure if it was paid by Chicago or we’d have to pay it)

6 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Absolutely nothing, as far as I'm concerned. I'd just be more comfortable with 2 RBs stashed until Drake is ready to go, especially with how often Jacobs gets hurt. Last thing we need is both Drake and Jacobs being out and having just Ragas and Bolden for a stretch. 

Oh gotcha…. Yeah 2 is better than 1.  I thought you were hoping to replace him/get rid of him.  Yes, I’d like to Have 2 young RBs in camp And on the PS.

IF we Go into the season with Jacobs, Drake, and Bolden and Jacobs gets hurt We’d have to call someone up from the PS because Bolden isn’t a RB you give the ball to a lot.

Edited by jimkelly02

1 minute ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’m absolutely not comfortable paying Nick Foley’s $4M (idk if it’s $8m because of the $4m roster bonus, it guaranteed but not sure if it was paid by Chicago or we’d have to pay it)

I think his cap hit would be $3-4M. I'd feel absolutely comfortable paying him that. Dude stepped in as a backup and lead a team to a Super Bowl, lol. Our season wouldn't just be done if he had to step in and play. That'd put him at the same pay rate as guys like Tyrod Taylor, Joe Flacco, and Chad Henne, lol.