Man... what if they pulled the trigger?

Interesting question about something that kinda was forgotten…

With everything that went down in the 1st round of the 2021 NFL draft, everything kinda went silent after the Payton Turner selection and once the Saints passed on the corner position at pick 60 things really got uncomfortable around NOLA but something struck me after the dust settled on the 2021 draft and I’m not sure if anyone has brought it up yet…

Despite what you may think of Payton Turner at 28. How would you have felt if the Saints gave up 3 1st round picks plus 2 3rd rounders to move up and draft a corner?  Even if you hate the Turner pick and love Jaycee Horn and Patrick Surtain you couldn’t perfer that move over staying at 28 and grabbing Turner. Yes I know the Saints balked at the cost but still what were they willing to give up, they had to know it wouldn’t be cheap. Even if the cost was 2 1st rounders which the Saints had to know was bare minimum,  plus a couple mid rounders that’s still a ridiculous haul to give up for a non quarterback. Haven’t this front office learned anything from the Davenport trade? This team does not have the quarterback to operate as if their simply one player away as they have been operating in recent years.

To me the story of the Saints 2021 draft isn’t that they took a talented defensive end at the end of round one that some felt was a 2nd round pick. The story is the Saints almost mortgaging their future post Drew Brees on a #2 corner.

This trade that never was will be exacerbated if Paulson Adebo hits.

Thoughts?

Doing it for a CB would have been a really dumb move.

Doing it for Mac Jones, would have been a worthwhile risk. More reports today saying they were trying to jump ahead of the Patriots to get him, but weren't able to get a team to trade with them for what they were giving up. Sounds like we would have likely traded with Cardinals at #16 had the Patriots not taken him.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Doing it for a CB would have been a really dumb move.

Doing it for Mac Jones, would have been a worthwhile risk. More reports today saying they were trying to jump ahead of the Patriots to get him, but weren't able to get a team to trade with them for what they were giving up. Sounds like we would have likely traded with Cardinals at #16 had the Patriots not taken him.

All that tells me is that they liked him... didn't love him. I mean let's face it, if your convinced he's the next franchise guy you pull the trigger with the Broncos at 9 but then according to reports if they did that they would have taken Surtain over Jones so what does that say about their conviction on Mac? They liked him, didn't love him and because of that they had a price limit. It does however tell us what they really think of Hill and Winston's future with the team beyond 2021. 

Kinda makes you wonder... if Payton will ever put his reputation on the line for a quarterback in the draft 🤔

Still i question the whole Mac Jones trade report. Ric Eisen interviewed Payton about the reports of trade attempts for the top 10 and even the Mac Jones interest. Payton gushed about Horn and said one of the top two corners were their target as it was a must position. Never once mentioned Jones.

It could have been some more damage control as maybe the Saints realizing many around NOLA linked Jones to the Saints and with him falling, if he hits the fan base will ask why we didn't attempt to trade up. Now that will never be asked because it is assumed that they did try. However Payton told Rich Esien that once the 2 corners went off the board the whole Saints war room understood that they would stay at 28 and make a selection so they focused on their cloud of players at that point so even if their was interest in Jones it was lukewarm at best.

We can all just hope that Ian Book has a Russell Wilson type of rise to the Saints starting quarterback position... 😉 

3 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

All that tells me is that they liked him... didn't love him. I mean let's face it, if your convinced he's the next franchise guy you pull the trigger with the Broncos at 9 but then according to reports if they did that they would have taken Surtain over Jones so what does that say about their conviction on Mac? They liked him, didn't love him and because of that they had a price limit. It does however tell us what they really think of Hill and Winston's future with the team beyond 2021. 

Maybe, maybe not, they failed to pull the trigger on Mahomes who they really liked and even Lamar Jackson. Seems they may have been trying to be too frugal with trade up instead of doing what needed to be done.

Kinda makes you wonder... if Payton will ever put his reputation on the line for a quarterback in the draft 🤔

This is the more accurate take in my opinion. History is starting to show in 3 of the past 5 drafts examples of this.

Still i question the whole Mac Jones trade report. Ric Eisen interviewed Payton about the reports of trade attempts for the top 10 and even the Mac Jones interest. Payton gushed about Horn and said one of the top two corners were their target as it was a must position. Never once mentioned Jones.

I don't, too much smoke there for me and several reports before and after the draft connected the Saints with a trade up for Mac Jones.

It could have been some more damage control as maybe the Saints realizing many around NOLA linked Jones to the Saints and with him falling, if he hits the fan base will ask why we didn't attempt to trade up. Now that will never be asked because it is assumed that they did try. However Payton told Rich Esien that once the 2 corners went off the board the whole Saints war room understood that they would stay at 28 and make a selection so they focused on their cloud of players at that point so even if their was interest in Jones it was lukewarm at best.

We can all just hope that Ian Book has a Russell Wilson type of rise to the Saints starting quarterback position... 😉 

I'd love for the to be the case, but unfortunately I just don't see it. Would gladly eat crow on that though.

Edited by tyler735

I take everything Mike Lombardi says with a grain of salt... hes a mouthpiece for the Patriots who might be trying to drum up the Jones selection by the Pats. Not saying their was no interest and even if they had a deal in place with Arizona at 16... it obviously wasn't the massive draft day trade that happens on QB's. Mac falling shows not many valued him as a can't miss franchise guy. Honestly fit was always gonna be what drove Mac's selection and I always felt the Saints and Patriots were his best fits. The Pats got him at 15 without trading making Mac a great pick for them. If the Saints would have given up multiple 1st rounders for Mac it diminishes the value and would not have been a better selection than Mac to New England IMO.

I remember watching how badly the Ricky Williams trade affected the Saints, not only that year, but for following years, and ultimately cost Ditka his job. Then Haslett had to come in and find 27 free agents.

I think about the players that we could have gotten in lieu of Mr. Head Case Williams. Washington used OUR picks to to get Champ Bailey, LaVar Arrington, Desmond Clark... all good players, and we parted ways with Williams after 3 seasons.

1 hour ago, Mid Iowa said:

I remember watching how badly the Ricky Williams trade affected the Saints, not only that year, but for following years, and ultimately cost Ditka his job. Then Haslett had to come in and find 27 free agents.

I think about the players that we could have gotten in lieu of Mr. Head Case Williams. Washington used OUR picks to to get Champ Bailey, LaVar Arrington, Desmond Clark... all good players, and we parted ways with Williams after 3 seasons.

A classic case of not getting uber aggressive and trusting in your board and allowing the draft to come to you. 

Ditka fell in love and moved up then paid the price... a couple years later Ditka is fired, Mueller, Loomis and Hasslet is hired and they let the draft fall to them, trusted in their board and drafted Deuce McAllister, another running back who became one of the most beloved Saints of all time and eventually made Rickey Williams expendable.

A major trade for major draft assets should only be made for a potential franchise QB you have a absolute conviction on. Other than that, trading up has to be of the proper value for the pick and prospect.

• Like 1