WR1 Tournament Round 1: Stefon Diggs vs Odell Beckam Jr.

BayRaider

WR1 Tournament: Stefon Diggs vs Odell Beckam Jr.   

47 members have voted

1. 1. WR1 Tournament: Stefon Diggs vs Odell Beckam Jr.

• Stefon Diggs
    • Odell Beckam Jr.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/26/2021 at 05:00 PM

Stefon Diggs

diggs.png

vs

Odell Beckam Jr.

odell.jpg

This will run for seven days and end May 26th. For more information, check our the main Tournament Topic. There is no seeds and matchups were randomized. At the end of the Tournament, one man will be crowned FootballsFuture's Official Top WR in the NFL. 

Edited by BayRaider

Nothing seems to be working on this website currently, including polls and photos. 

Will put the rest of the first round matches up later when the website isn't experiencing server downtime. 

Edited by BayRaider

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

Why does Keenan Allen play in, allegedly for a did in YPR/losing a step, but OBJ is here? Shrug.

I'm not an Odell fan in the slightest, but he was injured last year, and the games he played in, also injured. I do not hold injuries against guys. 

41 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I'm not an Odell fan in the slightest, but he was injured last year, and the games he played in, also injured. I do not hold injuries against guys. 

Odell hasn’t had a great season in a long time. Blame it on health because to an extent it’s valid (ankle, then core, then knee) but he really hasn’t shown such spectacular ability since he signed his extension as a Giant. Basically 5 seasons ago. 

If he takes another year to fully get right from the knee, and then has a back injury or something in 2023, we still going to call him a high end WR1?

4 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Odell hasn’t had a great season in a long time. Blame it on health because to an extent it’s valid (ankle, then core, then knee) but he really hasn’t shown such spectacular ability since he signed his extension as a Giant. Basically 5 seasons ago. 

If he takes another year to fully get right from the knee, and then has a back injury or something in 2023, we still going to call him a high end WR1?

If he doesn't perform this year, I wouldn't consider him a WR1 at all anymore. Also, I think he is already a Low-End WR1. Probably 15th for me currently. 

I do not lock people in as WR1 or WR2 (although usually with WR1's, you know within three seasons). As I told iknowcool, I personally don't know if Moore is a WR1 yet or not and he can still ascend to WR1, which is why he was my sole veteran on the WR1 Potential list. Everyone has different things they value as a WR1. I value someone who is a complete dog, has a WR1 toolbox, consistent throughout games, security blanket, consistent third down mover, and does not get taken out of games easily. I fully understand the Bridgewater argument, but Sutton had a backup QB in Flacco and the #32 Ranked starter in the NFL in Drew Lock. Fans will always argue purely stats, even if they have seen highlights or redzone clips of a player. I have Raider fans tell me all the time Carr is a Top 10 QB because of stats. Carr is in the 15-17 range of QB's. He cannot throw in a tight window, he cannot throw with anticipation (throw WR's open), and he has below average pocket presence. Stats do not always tell the full story among players. You had people saying Brady was washed and arm was gone by looking at his pretty bad 2019 stats and watching First Take. Watching 2019, Brady's throws still had his usual velocity. The WR's/TE's received zero separation all year, and they lacked experience and the skillset to obtain contested catches. The RB group was also poor. 

Once again, all subjective. If I do a QB Tournament, I will probably just do every starter. 

I have discussed Odell and Moore in this thread but not the man who deserves it. 

Stefon Diggs. 

Diggs is super fun to watch + dominant. He is probably the funnest WR in the NFL to watch, at least for me. His skillset is very versatile, he has a good body, good height, solid route runner, great at the catch point, and burner speed. Fun guy to watch and really has taken his career to the next level with the Bills. 

I'd probably have Diggs in the Top 5 WR's currently. I don't think he's the best, but he's not far off, and it can certainly be argued. I think he's one of the six candidates who can win this Tournament: Diggs, Adams, Hopkins, Hill, Thomas, Jones (no specific order). Although I think Adams and Hopkins will probably be the favorite to win the whole thing. 

Edited by BayRaider

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Everyone has different things they value as a WR1. I value someone who is a complete dog, has a WR1 toolbox, consistent throughout games, security blanket, consistent third down mover, and does not get taken out of games easily. I

Yeah but you can't call it a FootballsFuture tournament if your criteria is the only one you are considering.  I won't get into the DJ Moore debate with you anymore, but you are the only person who thinks he isn't a WR1.  You call Diggs dominant, but until this past season, he never had more yards in a single year than Moore had in 2019 or 2020.  Diggs is 27, Moore is 24.  You put Parker in the tournament solely because he has the toolbox, implying that Moore does not.  A lot of your reasoning for not putting him in this tournament all comes down to your opinion, because none of it seems to have any actual reality behind it.  And that is okay, it's your opinion.  But then it becomes your tournament, not the site's tournament.  If you want it to be the latter, then I don't get why you are so dismissive of others' input.  Like, I'll be honest. It really doesn't make a lot of sense for Beckham to be in this but not Keenan Allen, considering your reasoning for excluding Allen was because of possible regression.  Same as Sutton being a clear-cut WR1 but not Thielen. I strongly doubt that is an opinion the majority of people hold.

Not that it really matters.  There is no way anyone but Diggs/Jones/Adams wins this.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Once again, all subjective. If I do a QB Tournament, I will probably just do every starter. 

It's tough to make subjective choices without getting pushback - 32 is a good number, and frankly would save a lot of grief.

Honestly, for something like this with WR I would have just punted on the subjective decision and used some ESPN list (like top 32 projected 2021 fantasy) or taken the top 32 yardage over the past 2 seasons or something that is line in the sand

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

Not that it really matters.  There is no way anyone but Diggs/Jones/Adams wins this.

I don't know man. Hopkins still exists. Lots of people buy into the Reek argument. Thomas is the long, long shot - although I think 2020 will hurt his chances more than it should.

I don't think anyone outside of that group of 6 has any shot though

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

It's tough to make subjective choices without getting pushback - 32 is a good number, and frankly would save a lot of grief.

Honestly, for something like this with WR I would have just punted on the subjective decision and used some ESPN list (like top 32 projected 2021 fantasy) or taken the top 32 yardage over the past 2 seasons or something that is line in the sand

People will still complain about the seedings though. Can't go based off career stats or season stats, that would be dumb imo. And even if you did go off stats, which do you go off? QB Rating? Then you're leaving out some dual threat guys. YPA? Solid stat, but alone it doesn't mean much. Completion percent and TD:INT Ratios? Both easily inflatable. Yards? Just a bulk stat. 

Just now, BayRaider said:

People will still complain about the seedings though. Can't go based off career stats or season stats, that would be dumb imo. And even if you did go off stats, which do you go off? QB Rating? Then you're leaving out some dual threat guys. YPA? Solid stat, but alone it doesn't mean much. Completion percent and TD:INT Ratios? Both easily inflatable. Yards? Just a bulk stat. 

I just mean from the perspective of "This is the criteria" and it is what it is. Just shuts down the "one man's decision" part of the conversation

1 minute ago, Tk3 said:

I just mean from the perspective of "This is the criteria" and it is what it is. Just shuts down the "one man's decision" part of the conversation

Perhaps we can do a point list like you had for the MVP’s and people put their Top 32 QB’s in order. Tournament is the Top 16 points from that and seeded accordingly. 

14 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

I don't know man. Hopkins still exists. Lots of people buy into the Reek argument. Thomas is the long, long shot - although I think 2020 will hurt his chances more than it should.

I don't think anyone outside of that group of 6 has any shot though

To be completely honest, I am not sure why I forgot about Hopkins lol but yeah it’s definitely coming down to those 6.