McLaurin ranked 17th amongst NFL receivers

turtle28

“According to PFF, McLaurin is the No. 17 wide receiver in the NFL for 2021.

Why is McLaurin ranked No. 17?

With some additions to the receiver unit and a new arm at quarterback, McLaurin will hopefully get back to doing what he does best in 2021: stretching the field. His average depth of target dipped from 14.6 yards as a rookie in 2019 to 9.9 yards in 2020. The percentage of his catches that turned into a 15-plus-yard gain decreased from 40% to 30%, and his yardage total from vertical routes was nearly cut in half from 404 to 207 despite him seeing 37 more targets overall.

McLaurin still finished with a respectable 77.1 receiving grade, but it was certainly a downtick from a rookie campaign that saw him finish as the sixth-highest-graded receiver (86.5).

While I don’t always agree with PFF’s rankings, I can see where this is fair. He is behind some excellent receivers on this list who had much better quarterback play in 2020.

Washington hopes the signing of Ryan Fitzpatrick will take McLaurin’s game to another level. None of WFT’s quarterbacks in 2020 were known as outstanding deep-ball passers, whereas Fitzpatrick loved the long ball.”

Ahh yes, let’s hold McLaurin accountable for playing with two check down Charlie’s. Totally his fault he wasn’t catching bombs from the always throwing deep Alex Smith. PFF gets in their own way of being any good. Silly site that got way too popular for what it is. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Ahh yes, let’s hold McLaurin accountable for playing with two check down Charlie’s. Totally his fault he wasn’t catching bombs from the always throwing deep Alex Smith. PFF gets in their own way of being any good. Silly site that got way too popular for what it is. 

100% true but at the same time they can’t magically put McLaurin with  another QB and say his production would definitely be different, it likely would be but there’s no way of knowing. We’ll find out how different Terry can be this year w/ a QB who pushes the ball downfield more and if Terry’s stats improve or regress with  more talent around him. It could be a case like w/ Garcon, once DJax was signed Garcon went from a 110 catch WR in 2013 to a 70-79 catch receiver from 2014-2017.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

100% true but at the same time they can’t magically put McLaurin with  another QB and say his production would definitely be different, it likely would be but there’s no way of knowing. We’ll find out how different Terry can be this year w/ a QB who pushes the ball downfield more and if Terry’s stats improve or regress with  more talent around him. It could be a case like w/ Garcon, once DJax was signed Garcon went from a 110 catch WR in 2013 to a 70-79 catch receiver from 2014-2017.

But you can. They had friggin Case Keenum here and Terry was burning people, getting wide open and being overthrown constantly. And even with that he was still catching deep passes from Case. He's unbelievably good for what he’s had to deal with at QB and what he’s had to deal with playing opposite him. He’s the top threat with basically no one else being NFL quality and he still torched teams.

This is why I laugh when people say DK  or AJ Brown is clearly better. Both have had stable QB situations with a legit threat opposite them. Terry was basically the entire offense his rookie season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

But you can. They had friggin Case Keenum here and Terry was burning people, getting wide open and being overthrown constantly. And even with that he was still catching deep passes from Case. He's unbelievably good for what he’s had to deal with at QB and what he’s had to deal with playing opposite him. He’s the top threat with basically no one else being NFL quality and he still torched teams.

This is why I laugh when people say DK  or AJ Brown is clearly better. Both have had stable QB situations with a legit threat opposite them. Terry was basically the entire offense his rookie season. 

So they just go with a hypothetical from 2019 & two month worths of games and make some kind of projection that Terry would catch 30 more passes, 500 more yards and 5 more TDs?

I hate to say it but that actually would be really irrational analysis by them or anyone. You talk about not liking them & it’s a silly site but then you suggest they make a total hypothetical scenario for Terry.

Sorry man, that doesn’t add up. You can’t make up data that isn’t there.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

So they just go with a hypothetical from 2019 & two month worths of games and make some kind of projection that Terry would catch 30 more passes, 500 more yards and 5 more TDs?

I hate to say it but that actually would be really irrational analysis by them or anyone. You talk about not liking them & it’s a silly site but then you suggest they make a total hypothetical scenario for Terry.

Sorry man, that doesn’t add up. You can’t make up data that isn’t there.

What? We literally have had the worst QB situation of any team in the league over the last two years. The situation was so bad we had to start a guy who basically has one leg. McLaurin, facing double teams and safety help still managed to surpass 1K yards. He did this with a QB that has a checkdown stat named after him. He’s now going to a QB who does nothing but throw the ball down the field.

PFF does rankings and they do projections. They have McLaurin as the 17th ranked receiver in football. That is absolutely absurd to me. His production facing the challenges he’s face as being the only target on a bad offense with terrible QB play is outstanding. You want to agree with their ranking, go for it. It’s wrong. 

• Like 1

I mean PFF is what it is. They can rank and do what they do we all know what players are and aren’t based off these rankings. Terry is a monster he isn’t a flashy outspoken guy but I think his game is super loud and we will see not just this year but going forward. The guy will keep getting better but eventually he will get his guy and he will do wonders with them

15 hours ago, lavar703 said:

What? We literally have had the worst QB situation of any team in the league over the last two years. The situation was so bad we had to start a guy who basically has one leg. McLaurin, facing double teams and safety help still managed to surpass 1K yards. He did this with a QB that has a checkdown stat named after him. He’s now going to a QB who does nothing but throw the ball down the field.

PFF does rankings and they do projections. They have McLaurin as the 17th ranked receiver in football. That is absolutely absurd to me. His production facing the challenges he’s face as being the only target on a bad offense with terrible QB play is outstanding. You want to agree with their ranking, go for it. It’s wrong. 

I didn’t agree with their rankings, I wrote in my original post that I didn’t agree but it’s fair but what’s holding Terry back is the QB position. At the same time as an said in my second post, you can’t have him leapfrog people IMO just because of the inconsistent QB play he’s had.

I mean he’s two behind Metcalf & one behind Keenan Allen on the list!

He’s one ahead of O’Dell and two ahead of Galloday.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-wide-receiver-rankings-32-best-wrs-entering-2021-nfl-season