PFF's OL Grades

onejayhawk

20 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I'll say this about PFF's rating of OL;

They are VERY keen on the notion that a line is as good as it's weakest link. That's why you may see a team that has a couple studs ranked quite low. Whereas if a line has 5 above average to good players, chances are they are in top 10

I'm not saying they're right, but I see their logic and I know that's how they rate OLs

Honestly, I would agree with that premise. I remember KC's crazy OL in the early 2000s, and how quickly it fell apart once Roaf got hurt. We still had Waters/Weigman/Shields for a year and a half after that, and it didn't matter, swapping Roaf out with Jordan Black killed the whole thing. And on the flip side we've had some quite good OLs through the Reid era with just a bunch of averageish guys. Eric Fisher, Mitch Morse, Austin Reiter, LDT, Jeff Allen, have all been key components as guys who were just pretty good. You're better off with 5 guys just not screwing up their assignments, than having 3 that pancake their guys and 2 that don't know what they're doing.

On 7/31/2021 at 8:35 AM, Jakuvious said:

You don't know that, though. No matter how bad you think the guys that rookies are replacing were, you never actually know that the rookies will be upgrades.

I get the sentiment, but the Vikings started either Dakota Dozier or Dru Samia at LG last year. They were ranked something like (sorry I don't have the PFF rankings) 128th and 130th out of 130 eligible guards.

A below average rookie season would be a massive improvement compared to what the Vikings got in 2020.