Jeff Hughes: A Training Camp Diary (to be continued)

soulman

4 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Spa.  Do you race too? I once spun my neighbors 911 at Road America, still waiting to completely unclench.

These days only to the bathroom when an unexpected yet overwhelming urge hits.  😅

Never raced but many moons ago a few friends and I took in some CanAm races at Elkhart Lake.  It was less than 2 hours away.

On 8/28/2021 at 10:11 AM, soulman said:

These days only to the bathroom when an unexpected yet overwhelming urge hits.  😅

Never raced but many moons ago a few friends and I took in some CanAm races at Elkhart Lake.  It was less than 2 hours away.

It's a cool track, actually does look a lot like Spa with the dips.  I mostly used to autocross (really cheap fun way to take your street car out to improve your driving and have fun) but had a neighbor who was really serious about wheel to wheel stuff, I learned my risk tolerance is very very low with other peoples vintage cars, especially in the wet.  There's this right hand turn that seems really boring since it's constant radius and just takes forever, but it turns out it's super easy to overdo it in a car with oversteer.

• Like 1

Three Lessons Learned From the Three Practice Games

e6d50a12c068be89060c5271a6241ef0?s=16&d= Jeff Hughes | August 30th, 2021

3.png?resize=651%2C214

Lesson #1

Bears don’t have an answer at second corner spot.

Kindle Vildor was the darling of the practice sessions but thoroughly underwhelmed in game action. Desmond Trufant has wanted to prove he still has it but hasn’t been able to prove he can stay healthy. Duke Shelley? Tre Roberson? Thomas Graham? Artie Burns? They’re just bodies.

What the Bears should do is play Graham and live with his learning on the job. But that would require the organization understand where they are in the championship timeline and their handling of Justin Fields has proven they do not. They will go with the lowest risk option opposite Jaylon Johnson and be vulnerable there all season long.

Lesson #2

Rodney Adams can play NFL football.

Adams’ preseason performances were better than anything former Bear Javon Wims and should-be-former Bear Riley Ridley have put on tape during their careers. And his rapport with Fields can not be overlooked. If Adams does not find a space on the final 53, it’s safe to say Matt Nagy put no import on anything that happened in preseason games.

Lesson #3

Justin Fields is the club’s most exciting player.

Khalil Mack is great. Allen Robinson is steady. But Fields is a needle mover at the sport’s most important position. Every snap he takes under center brings the entirety of Chicago to full attention. Every snap he doesn’t play in 2021 is a complete waste of time.

Fields is ready. Every single analyst objectively watching the Bears knows it. If only the head coach did.

• Like 1

Post preseason I'm left with the feeling that the #2 and #3 CB spots are about to become a season long revolving door deal.

No matter who we put there it looks like one of two things will happen.  Either Desai has whoever play a lot of press man coverage and asks EJax to help out on the back end in order to prevent big throws leaving up vulnerable elsewhere or he has whoever play off the receiver and we give up tons of 8-12 yard completions as teams just use those to keep moving the chains down the field.  Losing Fuller for Quinn is gonna be a big hurt.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, soulman said:

Post preseason I'm left with the feeling that the #2 and #3 CB spots are about to become a season long revolving door deal.

No matter who we put there it looks like one of two things will happen.  Either Desai has whoever play a lot of press man coverage and asks EJax to help out on the back end in order to prevent big throws leaving up vulnerable elsewhere or he has whoever play off the receiver and we give up tons of 8-12 yard completions as teams just use those to keep moving the chains down the field.  Losing Fuller for Quinn is gonna be a big hurt.

Houston are apparently having a fire sale at this point...have to wonder if with their QB issues they would take Foles on for one of their CBs like Bradley Roby, Desmond King or even Vernon Hargreves...would still need to throw something else in but man that roster is terrible so any help would probably be a relief.

Edited by Madmike90
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Houston are apparently having a fire sale at this point...have to wonder if with their QB issues they would take Foles on for one of their CBs like Bradley Roby, Desmond King or even Vernon Hargreves...would still need to throw something else in but man that roster is terrible so any help would probably be a relief.

I dunno but if you were the Houston GM would you make that deal?

From what I've read a Houston to Miami deal for Watson is in the works with picks and Tagovailoa going to Houston so the assumption would be that Tua will then be their #1 QB.

The Bears are shopping Foles but two things stand in the way one of which is patently ridiculous.

1) Whoever trades for Foles is obligating themselves to two years of his guaranteed salary not one.

2) The Bears say they will not trade him anywhere he doesn't want to go.....WTF?  This is the NFL not forcing a 5 year old to attend a birthday party he doesn't want to go to.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

Just now, soulman said:

I dunno but if you were the Houston GM would you make that deal?

From what I've read a Houston to Miami deal for Watson is in the works with picks and Tagovailoa going to Houston so the assumption would be that Tua will then be their #1 QB.

The Bears are shopping Foles but two things stand in the way one of which is patently ridiculous.

1) Whoever trades for Foles is obligating themselves to two years of his guaranteed salary not one.

2) The Bears say they will not trade him anywhere he doesn't want to go.....WTF?  This is the NFL not forcing a 5 year old to attend a birthday part he doesn't want to go to.

If Tua is coming back then of course I wouldn't make the deal but if it is purely picks (which is what HOU reportedly want) then I would 100% be wanting a vet backup QB who is better than Taylor sitting behind Mills...

And I agree this "we won't trade him to somewhere he doesn't want to be" is utter nonsense. 

• Like 1

Nagy had a really clumsy answer in the presser today about Cohen, making it sound like Cohen had to have a second surgery on his knee to clean up scar tissue. 

I'd said a few days ago that something didn't seem right about that whole situation, and that my gut feeling is that he wasn't going to end up playing this year at all =(

This is no where near conformation of any of that, but it certainly doesn't look good for Cohen or Pace, who gave him a (questionable) brand new deal before he got hurt. 

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 1