Jeff Hughes: A Training Camp Diary (to be continued)

soulman

28 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

they. dont. have. enough. room. at. lake. forest. for. more. fans

honestly dont know how y'all dont realize that

They have a lot more room than what they are using.

Here are some periods:  …………..

11 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Does management feel there is an honest-to-goodness reason for limiting attendance?

Or, is it simply incompetence? 

Because I can easily see either...

I think it is mostly Covid concerns.  Bears or Nagy/Pace don’t want a big tightly packed crowd.

If you notice Nagy isn’t complaining about sparse crowd.

It is social media, beat writers and bloggers that attended, looking around and saying why is there so much empty space? 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Sugashane said:

They have... secret reasons...

But I see Nagy like this.

tenor.gif

LOLOL

I don't think the Bears are trying to hide much vs simply not having the space to accommodate the number of fans they could down in Bourbonais.  And the issues with a COVID spread from packing in too many fans too close to players and coaches is also a concern.  To believe the Bears should risk infections spreading through camp is just foolish.

Look at Minny.  Three of their 4 camp QBs are in a 10 day quarantine.  How do you get any work done with just one 4th string QB?

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, soulman said:

LOLOL

I don't think the Bears are trying to hide much vs simply not having the space to accommodate the number of fans they could down in Bourbonais.  And the issues with a COVID spread from packing in too many fans too close to players and coaches is also a concern.  To believe the Bears should risk infections spreading through camp is just foolish.

Look at Minny.  Three of their 4 camp QBs are in a 10 day quarantine.  How do you get any work done with just one 4th string QB?

Fools should have signed Tebow and traded for Foles. 😂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, soulman said:

LOLOL

LOLOL don't look at our OT situation pretty sure it's time to convery Bradley Sowell to OT. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

LOLOL don't look at our OT situation pretty sure it's time to convery Bradley Sowell to OT. 

It seems like a good idea for Pace to keep an eye on the waiver wire for any OTs who may be let go but in reality team just don't turn decent OTs loose very often.  Still, right now only the top 51 contracts count against the cap.  Once the season starts they all count against the cap.

So there's still some possibility that OTs will be cut should we need one and all the more reason why it would be great if we could trade Foles and open up more cap space because we don't have much if any to sign more players with anyway.  Pace may need to cut another vet to do it.

Ah, now we get to the heart of the matter.  Can Andy Dalton show us whether or not Matt Nagy is a good offensive coach?  This is much of what Andrew Dannehy intrigues while pinch hitting for Jeff Hughes in today's training camp diary.

Training Camp Diary: Dalton an Essential Piece of the Nagy Evaluation

212bf710fe9dfd56c9762bf769cdf891?s=16&d= Andrew Dannehy | August 3rd, 2021

Diary-Aug-3.jpg?resize=1000%2C272

Tweet one. Adam Jahns.

Really only only takeaway from Bears camp today: Justin Fields was good. It's the velocity of his throws, particularly over the middle, but also how often he gives his WRs/TEs a chance to make plays. His scrambling and ability to change his arm angle on throws stood out, too.

Tweet two. DBB.

Why not Andy Dalton for the Colts?

There is an eagerness to get Justin Fields on the field. And, as Jeff illustrated, that eagerness seems to be okay with shipping Andy Dalton east. But like it or not, the Chicago Bears need Dalton as much for the future of the franchise as the present. Because developing Fields is the single most important thing the franchise is trying to accomplish right now and making sure he has the right coach is an important part of that. Through three years, we still don’t really know if Matt Nagy can outsmart opposing defensive coordinators. Dalton could help us get that answer.

The numbers aren’t pretty. Through three years:

• All three years in the bottom twelve, in terms of yardage.
  • Two scoring offenses in the bottom ten.
  • Bottom five in rushing twice.
  • Bottom twelve in passing yardage all three years.

Judging by the numbers alone, one could only conclude that Nagy is a bad offensive coach.

But we know it’s about more than the numbers.

The league told us what it thought of Mitch Trubisky when the best offer he could muster was a league-minimum deal to back up Josh Allen, a player that has started every game the past two years. Trubisky’s individual statistics — and team success — would’ve otherwise been enough to warrant a job in which he could compete to start, or in which the starter is a liability. Trubisky is being paid low-level backup money to play behind one of the game’s best.

But the league is often wrong when it comes to coaches and quarterbacks.

The hope was that Nick Foles would provide us a definitive answer on Nagy last year. Foles’ time as a starter can’t be discussed without also mentioning the constant changes on the offensive line due to injury and COVID-19 protocols. But he was also a statue, taking too many sacks, missing open receivers and throwing into tight coverage. These inconsistencies prevented teams from employing him as a starter. Foles didn’t answer any of the questions surrounding Nagy.

Dalton isn’t great, but that’s not important right now. In Dalton’s first seven seasons with the Bengals, they only once had an offense in the bottom ten in terms of yardage and scoring. Injuries (and horrendous offseason moves) hindered his last three years there, but his worst seasons were still comparable to Nagy’s first three in Chicago. Once Dalton got comfortable after the bye week last year, the Cowboys averaged 27.3 points and 342 yards per game. He is still capable of getting the ball out to the right spot and on time.

We know the Bears have studs in David Montgomery and Allen Robinson and most of the rest of the offensive starters are at least average. We know Dalton can quarterback an adequate offense when the supporting cast is there.

But can Nagy coach such a unit?

Good coaches are often determined by having good quarterbacks (check out Brian Daboll before Josh Allen became good), but the offensive coaches who are actually good find a way to get the job done. Kyle Shanahan may not score a lot with quarterbacks outside of Jimmy Garoppolo, but his teams have been in the top half of the league in terms of yardage all four years and never in the bottom ten in scoring.

If the Bears were to struggle with Justin Fields, Nagy would have an out — rookie quarterbacks and their teams almost always struggle. If Fields is great, maybe that’s all we need to know, but history says don’t bet on that.

Dalton isn’t special. He struggles with decision making, especially on the fly and doesn’t have a great arm. He can read defenses, make enough throws and won’t kill the team with crucial mistakes. The Bears need to find out if they can trust Nagy to put Fields in position to succeed and Dalton will help them do just that.

Edited by soulman

Jeff Hughes is back today with some good news for Justin Fields fans......

Training Camp Diary: If Fields Masters Playbook & Fundamentals in August, He Should Start in September

e6d50a12c068be89060c5271a6241ef0?s=16&d= Jeff Hughes | August 4th, 2021

Diary-Aug-4.jpg?resize=1000%2C272

Last year, around this time, I texted a certain buddy of mine who happens to be the best beat writer covering the Chicago Bears. I asked him what was going on with Trubisky and Foles. He didn’t say anything specific about either player. He didn’t say, “Trubisky and Foles both stink.” But it was very apparent from his tone – and the tone he used on his popular podcast with another similarly-named fella – that both stinking was exactly the case.

This year, around yesterday, I texted a certain buddy of mine well-connected at the highest reaches of the Halls of Halas. I asked what he was hearing about Fields, thinking he might diffuse some of the hype. He responded in about four seconds, “Kids got it.” (Yes, there is a grammatical error there but just the facts on DBB.)

I don’t know if Justin Fields has it.

And it might be a year or two before ANYONE knows.

But unless he displays a complete inability to process information this summer, and that has overwhelmingly not been the case to this point, I can’t imagine a rationale for sitting him a single week of the 2021 season.

Because while we talk about “development”, that doesn’t actually happen during an NFL season at the quarterback position. Once the third preseason game is played, the backup QB essentially enters QB College. It’s all book learning. They become a student of the job but don’t get a single meaningful rep as long as they stay in that role. There just aren’t enough practice hours during the week anymore.

If Fields gets through the next few weeks with a mastery of the playbook and firm handle on the fundamentals of playing the position at the pro level (he seems to have mastered play-calling in the huddle in about two days), why waste a single second of his supremely-valuable rookie contract trying to win a few transitional games with Andy Dalton? Why risk Dalton playing well, keeping the job all season, and then having to start anew with Fields in 2022, knowing no more than we know right now? What is the rationale for not developing the kid in real games, against real opponents?

[Side note: I don’t buy this notion that Dalton definitively gives the Bears the best chance to win games, even as early as September. Dalton has been mediocre for years. Why would that change here?]

Also, shouldn’t it be incumbent upon this coaching staff to be able to do that? The head coach is a former college quarterback. The offensive coordinator is a former college quarterback. The quarterbacks coach is a former college quarterback. Shouldn’t these guys be able manage and bring along a talent like Fields at game speed? If not, why? If not, isn’t it fair to question the point of having such a quarterback-centric staff, and more specifically question what value these individuals bring to the organization generally?

This summer is progressing perfectly for the Chicago Bears. The quarterback they drafted, the man whose future success will mean the organization’s future success, is displaying every single quality they hoped he would display at this stage: mental, physical, emotional. The arrow is pointed up, and everybody around Lake Forest recognizes that. If he continues to progress, and display those qualities, why turn the arrow on its side?

Because the only way to truly develop in the NFL is to play NFL football. And that should be the focus of this coaching staff when it comes to Justin Fields.

• Like 1

I don't think there is any doubt that the fan pressure will be on Nagy to start Fields in September but to hear Fields himself talk about it he's quite content with how things are going and how he's learning and being coached by both Dalton and Foles as well.  To believe that he'll know it all by the 3rd preseason game may be Jeff Hughes opinion but it's obviously not Justin Fields opinion. 

Maybe we should listen to him for a change huh?

Edited by soulman

Training Camp Diary: Jimmy Graham Makes the Comparison

e6d50a12c068be89060c5271a6241ef0?s=16&d= Jeff Hughes | August 6th, 2021

Diary-Aug-6.jpg?resize=1000%2C272

You can argue the health of the offensive line is important. But really, it’s not. It’s August 6th.

You can argue the depth at corner is an issue. But really, it’s not.

The only thing important right now for the Chicago Bears organization is Justin Fields. And that’s why today’s diary is just this Adam Jahns Tweet, quoting Jimmy Graham, a guy who has been around.

Jimmy Graham on Justin Fields :

If you’re getting sick of Fields-specific posts, I have a recommendation for you: find another blog.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

@dll2000 would disagree...

😁

According to Chicago Audible Fields got zero reps with first team yesterday.

Meanwhile Mac is actually getting more than Newton to date according to youtube patriot channels.

San Fran is making Lance work mostly with 2nd team however - they are tracking more like Bears process.   

Bringing someone along slow is nice I guess, as it takes pressure off.   

But if Fields knew he had to start and Bears knew it.  I think there would be more intensity and urgency involved in his development by all involved.  

And as we progress toward season his reps will drop significantly and during season they will be nearly non existent.   

No one can ever convince me less reps and more watching makes you better at any sport.

• Like 3