Vikings cut 2020 first rounder Gladney over domestic violence

Arthur Penske

1 minute ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Smith was one of the most physical free safeties in the league for a number of years. Maybe not quite as well rounded as Butler but he had no weaknesses in his prime to speak of much like Leroy.

Only reason that I'd take Butler over Smith is "homerism".  Both were/are excellent.  I can see where someone would prefer Smith, too.  But if Butler isn't making the HOF, I don't see how Smith does.  (If it were me, I'd put them both in.)  Butler has the ring, and better stats concerning INT's and sacks.  Though he played a lot more seasons than Smith, so there is time for Smith to keep building out those stats.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Only reason that I'd take Butler over Smith is "homerism".  Both were/are excellent.  I can see where someone would prefer Smith, too.  But if Butler isn't making the HOF, I don't see how Smith does.  (If it were me, I'd put them both in.)  Butler has the ring, and better stats concerning INT's and sacks.  Though he played a lot more seasons than Smith, so there is time for Smith to keep building out those stats.  

I could probably put myself into the same category, just on the other side of the fence with Smith.  There are players who are obvious Hall of Famers, but there are also guys like these two who are probably both deserving, but if fans don't get to see them play and don't hear about them in the headlines, it's harder for them to get the recognition they deserve.