Vikings cut 2020 first rounder Gladney over domestic violence

Arthur Penske

10 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Spielman has hit on a lot of high end players outside of round 1. But it’s crazy to think that since 2015 the only standout first round pick has been Jefferson. Waynes was always okay but if he was worth an expensive new deal he wouldn’t have been able to test the market. Bradbury is closer to being a disappointment than a standout.

We missed out on what? 4 out of our last 6 first round picks?

That's a lot to make up for in later rounds.

9 hours ago, Snake Plissken said:

5.  Harrison Hand.

Held up as well as could be expected as a 5th round rookie last year.  Off to a great start so far in the offseason and looks like the team found a contributor.  Should be a good #5 CB and push for some rotational reps.  

I keep mentally putting him at safety lol

18 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Who is your GM and why does he still have a job?

As a divisional rival, please keep him and Kirk around.

17 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Howie Roseman says "hold my beer"

Didn't he win a superbowl with his team destroying MN?

17 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Not to mention that you have Harrison Smith back there too, which is always a good thing.

I think it will be a good thing for this season, but always? He's 32, the decline will start sometime soon if it already hasn't.

16 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Rick Spielman.

Funny enough, he's much better at non 1st round picks for us. 

But he did get us Harvin, H.Smith Rhodes, Barr and Waynes.

Barr and Waynes were good for their draft position? Waynes is gone and wasn't very good and Barr hasn't been what you want out of a top 10 pick. Harvin was a great player, but a disappointing career considering his ability. Hard to say anything about H. Smith as he was obviously a good pick. Rhodes was great for awhile.

Edited by Arthur Penske

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

I think it will be a good thing for this season, but always? He's 32, the decline will start sometime soon if it already hasn't.

Barr and Waynes were good for their draft position? Waynes is gone and wasn't very good and Barr hasn't been what you want out of a top 10 pick. Harvin was a great player, but a disappointing career considering his ability. Hard to say anything about H. Smith as he was obviously a good pick. Rhodes was great for awhile.

Yes, they were. Good enough for their draft position(s) enough to warrant 5 years 67.5 million and 3 years 42 million second contract offers (Jets/Bengals).

One could try to argue they weren't, but teams outside of the Vikings offered those deals so that has to be some sort of external (and moderately objective) proof of value, right?

Edited by sinceAtikevike
  • Like 1

Can’t ignore all the high end talent found after round one. Kendricks, Hunter, Cook, Diggs, Thielen, O’Neill, I’m sure there’s more I’m forgetting. Spielman has struggled finding a viable franchise QB and he’s had so many chances at it, that’s my biggest hang up with him. But the ability to find talent and value anywhere in the draft has been phenomenal. He’s made up for a lot of bad first round picks.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, sinceAtikevike said:

Yes, they were. Good enough for their draft position(s) enough to warrant 5 years 67.5 million and 3 years 42 million second contract offers (Jets/Bengals).

One could try to argue they weren't, but teams outside of the Vikings offered those deals so that has to be some sort of external (and moderately objective) proof of value, right?

Just keep being satisfied with Wayne’s and Barr’s in the top 15 Vikings fans.

Sincerely, all other NFC north fans 

2 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Kirk spends 2021 FRICKING the NFL and claiming his FRICKEN Super Bowl Trophy. 

The Vikings front office decides to honor Kirk and creates the #1 defense for 2021. Harrison Smith cements his HOF enrollment. 

• Like 1

Much respect for Patrick Peterson and his career.  I think it's 50/50 whether he is just cashing checks now, or actually trying to be elite.  Either way, he was worth the risk.

Breeland is just solid, and has been for a long time.  Always wondered why no one keeps him around long term.  Regardless, on the field, he's good.

If Alexander and Danzler are your #3 and #4 corners, you are in good shape.  Especially with Smith behind them.

But to me, it all hinges on Peterson.  He needs to play like a #1 corner.  If he isn't, then you do not have a lead dog out there.

• Like 2

Dantzler is going to be a good player for a long time. He isn't ready to be their #1 this year but between him and Alexander at the 2 and slot they aren't going to be bad there by any means. Biggest question for the Vikings is going to be if they get hit with a wave or two of COVID and have to start forfeiting games because of it. They have real potential to be better than they've been the last couple seasons but that 70% could ruin their entire season.

21 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Not to mention that you have Harrison Smith back there too, which is always a good thing.

Well, sure.  Everybody gets old eventually. Having said that, I don't think you can deny that he has made more than his share of plays against the Packers over the last decade, and it wouldn't be a bit surprising if that continued in 2021.  He is a borderline Hall of Famer as far as I'm concerned.

If I recall correctly, the original question was asked what the Vikings' secondary is looking like right now.  I don't think he was looking for a 5 year projection.  I feel pretty confident in saying that Harrison Smith is still one of the best safeties in the league and should be a positive factor for the Vikings secondary for this season.

• Like 1