Bills trade DE Daryl Johnson to Carolina

Trentwannabe

Sucks I really liked him and wanted him to stay would have been good to continue to have him grow and be a 4th DE going in to 2022 season. I really do not see the appeal of keeping Mario Addison around as he is 34 years old with one year left, even a restructure the potential and growth Daryl was doing at both ST and defense is worth keeping around over addison who is running on Empty this late in his career. The compensation of getting a 6th rd in 2022 isnt worth the move imo, I would have rather ate the dead cap of addison and continue to have daryl grow. Addison better step it up as I would hate to see us repeat with the same thing last year by paying Murphy who looked lost most of the time before being health scratches.

Edited by soflbillsfan

16 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Sucks I really liked him and wanted him to stay would have been good to continue to have him grow and be a 4th DE going in to 2022 season. I really do not see the appeal of keeping Mario Addison around as he is 34 years old with one year left, even a restructure the potential and growth Daryl was doing at both ST and defense is worth keeping around over addison who is running on Empty this late in his career. The compensation of getting a 6th rd in 2022 isnt worth the move imo, I would have rather ate the dead cap of addison and continue to have daryl grow. Addison better step it up as I would hate to see us repeat with the same thing last year by paying Murphy who looked lost most of the time before being health scratches.

I agree, it is disappointing to see Bam go when he's so young and has a value on special teams. Price from the trade seems fair imo... probably would've asked for a 5th myself.

Not that I completely disagree with wanting to keep Bam over Addison, but I do think you're being quite hard on Addison, who I wouldn't describe as running on empty... he led the team in sacks, albeit a low # at 5, last year as a rotational guy. The staff also certainly places a value on leadership, with the number of young guys in the room now I can see why the opted for Addison who is a great mentor for Boogie and Greg. Not sure if you caught the little clip they played during the game at halftime, but basically a few of the d-line were asked questions about Jerry, Mario, etc. and it seemed apparent that both Jerry and Mario have a great relationship with these guys as mentors.

I've come to the conclusion with this regime after seeing all these positive results that they know exactly what they're doing in terms of keeping the culture the way it is. 

It's just unfortunate but fortunate that we are in a position where we have a number of good players at a position where we could use an improvement over last year. Excited to see what they can do, especially Greg who looked like an absolute baller all preseason.  

4 minutes ago, Nick said:

I agree, it is disappointing to see Bam go when he's so young and has a value on special teams. Price from the trade seems fair imo... probably would've asked for a 5th myself.

Not that I completely disagree with wanting to keep Bam over Addison, but I do think you're being quite hard on Addison, who I wouldn't describe as running on empty... he led the team in sacks, albeit a low # at 5, last year as a rotational guy. The staff also certainly places a value on leadership, with the number of young guys in the room now I can see why the opted for Addison who is a great mentor for Boogie and Greg. Not sure if you caught the little clip they played during the game at halftime, but basically a few of the d-line were asked questions about Jerry, Mario, etc. and it seemed apparent that both Jerry and Mario have a great relationship with these guys as mentors.

I've come to the conclusion with this regime after seeing all these positive results that they know exactly what they're doing in terms of keeping the culture the way it is. 

It's just unfortunate but fortunate that we are in a position where we have a number of good players at a position where we could use an improvement over last year. Excited to see what they can do, especially Greg who looked like an absolute baller all preseason.  

Yes the organization as a whole has hit more on player personnel then lost. I am critical on addison as I thought the signing was horrible from the beginning. While Shaq wanted more money then what Bills could offer him leaving to turn around and pay addison a 10 mil average per year wasnt ideal. Yes he had 5 sacks last year however 4 of his 5 sacks were due to the fact that the qb held on to the ball to long and not the fact that addison was a good pass rusher and beat out the olineman which is the case jerry consistently does but fails to get the sack yet maintains a higher pressure %, something addison is unable to do. I could argue that any pass rusher would have got those sacks had they been in over him.

My main concern about this move is what we did a couple of years ago by keeping a veteran in spencer long over Wyatt Teller. May not scream lost season but the concern of keeping a youngster over a vet doesnt always mean its the best move. As for veteran leadership they have plenty of that in other guys and the mentor thing is what guys like Bruce smith come in and do and are available at any time so to pay him the 8 mil to be a mentor isnt ideal especially when you got a guy who can contribute on both def and ST. 

All in all I hope him the best with Carolina but I expect to see more from addison with that price tag and the dline to step up as they didnt dominate as much as I hope they did against 2nd string GB offense. 

Nobody is trading for Mario Addison.

I like Bam Johnson but he was never going to see time on defense unless a few injuries occurred. They have special teams guys elsewhere who can also contribute like Andre Smith and Siran Neal/Hamlin. 

Draft a guy in the 7th, have him contribute for two years and flip him for a 6th seems like a win for me.

• Like 1