Gibson too Fragile for Full Time R B ?

RSkinGM

RB's are RB's, and I don't care who is carrying the ball. The biggest need right now is QB. 

I love Heinicke, but he is a fantastic back up. We need a franchise QB. If Watson is cleared or somehow his legal troubles go away, go get him. 

Outside of that, this team is never going to find success piecemealing the most important position on the field. 

• Like 1

Gibson clearly isn't going to ever be an every down back.  He does not have the skills to work in short yardage, block, nor stay healthy. 

The RB rotation is great in theory and at times looks like it gets defenses off guard, but I wonder if it throws the offense out of rhythm.  I kind of would like to see one of them just be the guy for every down for a game.  It sure would be nice if our running game was more consistent.  It seems like an obvious tool to employ to help balance out our qb play.  But I think in Turner's head he substitutes the short pass game for the running game.

10 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Gibson clearly isn't going to ever be an every down back.  He does not have the skills to work in short yardage, block, nor stay healthy. 

The RB rotation is great in theory and at times looks like it gets defenses off guard, but I wonder if it throws the offense out of rhythm.  I kind of would like to see one of them just be the guy for every down for a game.  It sure would be nice if our running game was more consistent.  It seems like an obvious tool to employ to help balance out our qb play.  But I think in Turner's head he substitutes the short pass game for the running game.

I'm on the fence still. He's come so close to breaking several long runs . Seems he trips or someone gets an ankle tackle .  Not totally ready to quit on him .

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I'm on the fence still. He's come so close to breaking several long runs . Seems he trips or someone gets an ankle tackle .  Not totally ready to quit on him .

I am not quitting on him.  I think he is a weapon for sure.  They just haven't figured out the right role.  However, I definitely don't think he will ever be an every down back and our offense sputters so much that the rotation seems anti-productive.  I honestly think it would be even more of an issue if Samuel was healthy because he could fill that role Gibson plays.  Maybe we need a two back formation to be used more and just use him in that.