The Annual I Should Be GM Mock - V2 on Pg2

jetsfan4life51

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

I like it all except depth pieces at WR. I’d much rather see what Mims can do for another year than sign a guy like Sanu. 

Sure he has way more potential than Sanu or "insert FA vet" but I cannot see him getting any playing time as a 4th WR especially with McBride and Howard out there, and the amount of targets MC can get as a RB.

I'm also expecting the Jets to value 4th-6th round picks to get their developmental guys that fit the defense.  May not see multiple LBs because of last year but I expect one LB, multiple Safeties, you never know with DL.  Maybe they trade down from 10 to grab extra Day 3 picks but I expect at least one trade of a current roster player for a Day 3 pick.  There are rumblings about Ashtyn Davis as well, but I thought his play improved.

2 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Sure he has way more potential than Sanu or "insert FA vet" but I cannot see him getting any playing time as a 4th WR especially with McBride and Howard out there, and the amount of targets MC can get as a RB.

I'm also expecting the Jets to value 4th-6th round picks to get their developmental guys that fit the defense.  May not see multiple LBs because of last year but I expect one LB, multiple Safeties, you never know with DL.  Maybe they trade down from 10 to grab extra Day 3 picks but I expect at least one trade of a current roster player for a Day 3 pick.  There are rumblings about Ashtyn Davis as well, but I thought his play improved.

I guess my thoughts just are we don’t need a vet WR. We have Davis and Berrios (if we resign him) who each have been in the league for 4-5 years. That’s plenty of very experience. If you like the idea of moving on from Mims, I can understand that. But not for a useless vet. I’d rather not sign anyone and draft a WR in the mid rounds than sign a below average vet. 

• 4 weeks later...

Free Agency Update

The Jets have filled some major holes giving them MASSIVE flexibility.  However they still lack a disruptive pass rusher.  Luckily the board goes our way.  When it comes to all other positions, I wish we had another 3rd round pick because it's tough deciding between which positions.  You can make a case for LB, TE, S, Edge(if not 1st round), DT for all of those picks.  I am piecing together a combo of what I think will be best, what I think will happen (mostly the approach, maybe not the players) and how the value falls.

With that being said....Edge and WR need to be addressed in Round 1.  They will have immediate impacts and shouldn't be fighting for playing time.  JD and Saleh sound like they are happy with LB if they improve the DL.  My gut is telling me they'll draft DT high because it's the Jets, but I think we are better off finding a fit for "NT" later.  Safety I don't really care if we go SS or FS but we need someone who is a ballhawk.  We currently have zero guys in the defensive backfield who can take the ball away.  That may change after Lawson and a rookie help out.  But at both LB and S we at least need someone with range.  TE I really like Uzomah but not enough to prevent us from drafting a guy high if the board goes our way.  But I don't want to overdraft a TE either. OL looks to be set, just developmental OC and/or T insurance.  Instead of trying to fill every need we will let the board come to us and one or two positions will have to suffer.

Draft

1a. Kayvon Thibadeaux DE, Oregon

1b. Treylon Burks WR, Arkansas

-first two are self explanatory, but I've seen Burks anywhere from 10 to the 2nd round.  No idea where he will go. But rounds 2-3 are where it gets tricky.

2a. Jaquan Brisker S, Penn State

-I know we just picked up Whitehead, but Joyner is an unknown, it seems like Davis is on his way out, and Pinnock is a converted S.  We all saw how terrible the defense was when we had to pull guys off the street.  This is the case where JD goes more of a BPA route and it happens to be a Safety.

2b. Trey McBride TE, Colorado State

-I'm falling for it even though I think we can still land someone in the 3rd or 4th.  Will McBride even get much playing time? There's a reason the Jets should be high on him and they don't want to risk trading down or waiting until the 3rd. I think if someone like Travis Jones is there, JD may have a hard time passing him up, but late round NT is better value. We've shored up the OL and have a solid vet TE, now we have added two big time rookies to the mix.  This puts everything on Zach now.  He has no excuses.

3. Channing Tindall LB, Georgia

-Got more comfortable as the year went on and is going severely under looked because of that entire Georgia defense.  We don't know if Mosley is long term here, we don't know if Quincy is the answer, and the two picks last year converted from Safety.  I think his potential is too much to pass on.

4a. Alec Lindstrom C, Boston College

-Give him a year to get stronger in the weight room and he can take over for McGovern. 

4b. Otito Ogbonnia DT, UCLA

-good spot for a developmental NT and a guy they were hands on with at the Senior Bowl.  Zero pressure to start right away.  Won't block Marshall from getting playing time.

5a. Myron Cunnigham OT, Arkansas

-good backup/swing tackle.  May be coached up to start at RT?

5b. Hasaan Haskins RB, Michigan

-Gotta keep my guy in here.  

After all of that I ditched my double dip at Safety strategy.  We have more depth now so I can't see any positions except WR double dipping.  When you have this much draft capital it's hard to not give a high grade but I would give this a solid B++/A but that's because Joe Douglas set himself up for success.  If we don't have the extra picks or vet signings then we are forced to draft certain positions.  If we land Edge and WR early then we can't go wrong in whatever direction that ends up being.

• Like 1