3rd Quater Mock 2022

Madmike90

16 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

His contract is voidable so saves you $2.5 million if you cut him in June...cut him now and it costs you $5 million.

He signed a 1 year deal with 2 void years. Which means he's only on the roster for 1 year, then becomes a UFA. But his bonus money is spread across 3 years for salary cap purposes. The cap hits from all void years hit the cap as soon as the contract voids.

Unless the Bears extend him, he'll carry a 5M cap hit next season. Bears can't get rid of that. They can't cut him because he's not even under contract.

Bears will be doing the same thing with Graham (~4.7M), Ifedi (1.5M), and James (~0.5M) next season.

Edited by abstract_thought
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

He signed a 1 year deal with 2 void years. Which means he's only on the roster for 1 year, then becomes a UFA. But his bonus money is spread across 3 years for salary cap purposes. The cap hits from all void years hit the cap as soon as the contract voids.

Unless the Bears extend him, he'll carry a 5M cap hit next season. Bears can't get rid of that. They can't cut him because he's not even under contract.

Bears will be doing the same thing with Graham (~4.7M), Ifedi (1.5M), and James (~0.5M) next season.

I'm just going off overthecaps interactive tool...you designate him as a post June 1st cut and it saves you $2.5 million...I just haven't seen that site be wrong before.

33 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I'm just going off overthecaps interactive tool...you designate him as a post June 1st cut and it saves you $2.5 million...I just haven't seen that site be wrong before.

Yea, the cap tables get quirky with void years. You can’t even “cut” Dalton after June 1st because his contract voids on Feb 23 and he becomes a free agent.

Unfortunately the Bears are out about 12M in cap space due to contracts that void this offseason. That’s the price of making everything fit under the cap this year.

Edited by abstract_thought
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Yea, the cap tables get quirky with void years. You can’t even “cut” Dalton after June 1st because his contract voids on Feb 23 and he becomes a free agent.

Unfortunately the Bears are out about 12M in cap space due to contracts that void this offseason. That’s the price of making everything fit under the cap this year.

I guess we will see how it plays out then...lot of very good accountants in the NFL as we have seen over the years 😂...

Either way next year has to be a rest year for us in terms of our draft capital and cap so I tried to stay away from any really expensive free agents and focus on role guys which is something I would expect from McDaniels.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

AT is correct.  You can't release a player whose no longer under contract.  Void years are simply a cap management tool that don't impact current contract status.  Once the current contract expires the player is a FA and no longer on the roster and you can't release a player you no longer have under contract.