3rd Quater Mock 2022

Madmike90

Coaching Changes…

Bears fire GM Ryan Pace & HC Matt Nagy along with all staff…

Bears Hire Patriots OC Josh McDaniels as HC

1169754223.0.jpg

It’s clear Matt Nagy isn’t the man to be the Bears HC…really nice guy but he just doesn’t have it as a HC…for me the concept is right in that we need a quality offensive mind who can guide Fields to success and bring this franchise into the modern day by building around a top QB which has not been done here for decades…I am down to four guys that I would target as head coach and of them all the guy I think ticks the most boxes is McDaniels…with previous all be it bad experience as a head coach a decade ago he knows what to expect when having to be at the head of a team and will have learned from that experience as he seems to have grown and matured since then…he has experience of developing multiple QBs which not many coaches can claim…he has a multiple and versatile scheme that has used both the pass and run to churn out dominant offence performances year after year…he rebuilds his scheme to the players he has available…he is a teacher and will have his players extremely well prepared for every game…he can establish an excellent coaching staff due to his connections and experience around the NFL and he has seen what excellence looks like…now while he may never be able to recreate the “Patriots Way” he has been there for longer than any other Belichick assistant who has been promoted to be a head coach and has been on the other side of the ball from Bill so I think he is pretty well placed to succeed…I would also be willing to give McDaniels his own GM in Dave Ziegler in order to seal the deal and get him out of New England who will probably promise him their job after Belichick is finished again…hopefully the idea of waiting another 4 or 5 years will put him off that and send him here.

Bears Hire Browns WR Coach Chad O’Shea as OC

USATSI_8099666.jpg

Chad O’Shea has to have been fired in Miami for one of the weirdest reasons ever…his offence was too complex for a young team…that makes me think you have a franchise who don’t want to reach the high standards of the team that has dominated their division for years…the offence that O’Shea brought to Miami was very similar to the offence that McDaniels runs in New England meaning the concepts and verbiage that McDaniels uses will be easy for O’Shea to pick up and most importantly teach to our players…with McDaniels being the play caller for the offence it means that would be O’Shea’s main role on the team along with install of the offence throughout the week when McDaniels is carrying out all his HC duties…the other thing that will be important on this team is the fact our receiver core will need to be rebuilt and this is where O’Shea spent 9 years under McDaniels as the Pats WR coach with great success…teachers on this team is exactly what we need to get the best out of the talent we have here.

Bears Hire Patriots Senior Football Advisor Matt Patricia as DC

1798.jpeg

Patricia was a failure as a HC with it clear that the added pressures of running a full team rather than just a defence being too much…here Patricia would be able to come in a run just one side of the ball where he has had undoubted success…no defensive coordinator has had as much say in the Patriots D as Patricia with Belichick clearly rating him very highly…the Pats are ahead of the game this year using a multiple fronts including the 2-4-5 with 3 safeties as a base defence which is IMO the future of the NFL…I think we have the front 6/7 to play that and could find the DBs required to run it…Patricia would bring instant credibility to this locker room and is exactly the kind of experienced coordinator we need following the failed Desai experiment.

Bears Hire Former Giants HC Joe Judge as STC

10720-joe-judge.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

Judge is another guy who is well regarded around the NFL but just doesn’t have it as a head coach so I would expect the Giants to move on…if we could get Judge here then it would give us a former head coach running both the defence and special teams which would be a massive help to McDaniels overall as he will be able to intrust these guys with more than he could an inexperienced coach…Judge would put some quality special teams units on the field.

Edited by Madmike90
  • Like 1

Bears Roster Moves

Resign…

RB…Damien Williams

FB…J.P Holtz

TE…Jesper Horsted

WR…Marquise Goodwin

WR…Damiere Byrd

OG…James Daniels

C…Sam Mustipher

DT…Bilal Nichols

ILB…Alec Ogletree

S…Deon Bush

S…DeAndre Houston-Carson

LS…Patrick Scales

Williams has looked good since Monty went down and alongside Herbert could give us one of the best running back rooms in the NFL…Holtz is a versatile guy who can line up as a FB or TE and is an excellent special teams players…seems ideal for McDaniels…Horsted is a guy who could carve out a role in McDaniels’ scheme…Goodwin still has excellent deep speed and if we can scheme him open more he would be a threat…Byrd is a player I would only keep under McDaniels has he has already shown he can be really productive in that scheme…Daniels is another guy I keep only if McDaniels comes here…the Pats pin & pull more than any team in the NFL and their guards are key to that…Daniels in space is something I can get on board with…he doesn’t have great power but those movement skills aren’t easy to find and McDaniels would use them often…Mustipher is only back because he has starting experience and is cheap but he is a backup and nothing more…Nichols is still young and has the size and physicality to play in multiple fronts…Ogletree would be excellent depth and has played pretty well this season…Bush isn’t a great player but will stick around for another year…DHC has looked pretty good this season when called upon so should be retained…Scales is always rock solid.

Release…

WR…Allen Robinson

WR…Jakeem Grant

OT…Jason Peters

OT…Elijah Wilkinson

OT…Lachavious Simmons

OG…Alex Bars

DL…Akiem Hicks

ILB…Christian Jones

ILB…Joel Iyiegbuniwe

CB…Artie Burns

CB…Xavier Crawford

CB…Marqui Christian

S…Tashaun Gipson

P…Pat O'Donnell

Robinson is asking for too much money for what he is…I think he could still be a #1 but not the $20 million one he seems to think he is…I think he would rather be anywhere than Chicago after this season…Grant won’t be back on his current money and we can find another return man…Peters not coming back is pretty tough on him because he has actually played really well but another year gone past just means more injury risk…Wilkinson isn’t good enough in pass pro for McDaniels scheme…Simmons & Bars are replacement level talents…Hicks is another guy I love but the injuries are mounting up and with a new regime here unless he is wanting to play for next to nothing it has to be somewhere else…Jones & Iggy are again replacement level players who can be upgraded on with younger more athletic talent…Burns hasn’t shown enough to be back…Crawford & Christian shouldn’t be on the roster just now let alone next year…Gipson has been decent for us but I think we will look for someone with experience of what Patricia wants to do on the back end…O’Donnell is making too much for what he is when we could replace him with a rookie.

Retired…

TE…Jimmy Graham

Graham is done with football and barely plays a snap for us this yet let along the idea of him playing for another full season.

Cuts…

Cuts……………………….Saving………..Dead

Andy Dalton……………$2.5……………$2.5

Nick Foles……………….$3.0……………$7.6

Tarik Cohen…………….$2.25………….$3.5

Jeremiah Attaochu….$2.85………….$0.25

Dalton would be a post 1st of June cut in order to save us $2.5 million so everything doesn’t go to the dead cap…Foles’ dead money sucks but that $3 million can be used towards signing some depth…Cohen IMO will never be the same player when he comes back an I was personally never that high on him to start with and given how well Monty is playing Williams is vet depth and I like what Herbert brings Cohen is now the odd man out…Attaochu is solid depth but not at that price especially with as little dead money…

These moved create $10.6 million in cap space sending $13.75 million to dead cap…that is a lot but year one of a new coach should be a reset year which gets us out of some of the bad contracts sent out in the past.

Edited by Madmike90
  • Like 1

Free Agency…

QB…Trevor Siemian…6-3” 220lbs…Saints…

1349134780.0.jpg

Brining in a veteran QB to replace the outgoing Dalton & Foles…Fields is still young and brining in a seven year player game time under his belt would be important…Siemian can make the short to intermediate throws that would be needed in a scaled down McDaniels offence should he ever need to play a lot…no QB controversy here as Siemian would not be competition but purely a backup…I see the Saints rebuilding their QB room so he should be available for nothing more than Vet Min.

WR…Christian Kirk…5-11” 203lbs…Cardinals…

usatsi_15053214_168386758_lowres.jpg

WR is by far our biggest need this offseason…Mooney is showing he can be a long-term fixture but outside of that we need far more…brining back Byrd makes sense given he was productive under McDaniels in the past…I think Goodwin is nice depth as a deeper threat but we need a playmaker who can take an 8 yard catch and break it for 30 yards…that is exactly what Kirk excels at and because of that he fits into McDaniels passing attack perfectly…I see him has the slot starter who would have a high volume of catches and help take cover away from the outside guys…Kirk this year is on pace for his best season in terms of receptions, yards, TD & has already set a best for explosive receptions over 20 yards…he is also currently 23rd in the NFL with a catch rate percentage of over 80% so brings real consistency…the hope is that Kirk gets lost a little in the shuffle and we don’t need to break the bank massively for him.

WR…Braxton Berrios…5-9” 185lbs…Jets…

yyrhja8pox6dwymphtv8

Berrios is the classing “Patriots WR” super quick in and out of his cuts…great hands…tough…but lacks size…he is very much so in the mould of a Julian Edelman or Wes Welker type…he hasn’t been overly productive in the offences he has played in but I think he could carve out a role here on offence even if he should never be a huge part of the offence…where he really would excel though is in the return game where he is currently averaging 25.4 yards per kick return and 13.6 yards per punt return…he would be an upgrade over Grant in both regards…Berrios would be smart to take the opportunity to get back into McDaniels offence after injury stopped it as a rookie when he was with the Pats.

OT…Josh Wells…6-6” 300lbs…Bucs…

c5af7deb48df4972991b176e6164168d.jpg?w=1

I think the profile will change a little with some of the OL we bring in…Wells has played really well when called upon to protect Brady’s blind side…he isn’t as big, strong or as athletic as some tackles around the league but he is smart and has good technical ability…hopefully he could teach some of these younger guys a few things he has worked on over the years…Wells won’t get huge money on the open market so hopefully we could convince him there could be at least a swing tackle role.

G/C…Ted Karras…6-3” 308lbs…Patriots…

1180122746.0.jpg

Much like White in the RB room brining in an experienced Patriot linemen would be a massive help…especially at guard where they are asked to pull and lead block more than any other guards in the NFL…Karras has really good starting experience and could take over from Whitehair at LG or even slide himself into centre given his experience at that spot…Karras is from Chicago and his grandfather played for the Bears back in the 60s so hopefully with that history and McDaniels here we get a bit of an inside track in signing him away from the Pats.

OLB…Ifeadi Odenigbo…6-3” 258lbs…Browns…

13849202.jpeg

Our Edge players have been pretty sensational this this year when healthy…Quinn has had a massive turn around since getting mentally healthy…Mack looked back to his best before the injuries sent him to IR…Gipson is really developing into a great rotational piece as well…which means that 4th Edge player can be a guy we take a bit of a risk with and hot to hit gold…Odenigbo was a force for the Vikings for a couple of seasons especially when he wasn’t asked to play many snaps…in 2019 he had 7 sacks and 13 QB hits…in 2020 that sack total dropped to 3.5 sacks but still had 15 QB hits…he signed with Cleveland this offseason and has barely played but he has had clear success…worth a flier on a guy who will barely play.

ILB…Elandon Roberts…6-0” 235lbs…Dolphins…

1288479667.0.jpg

Roquan is about to become a very rich man with this franchise but we need to give him some help inside…finding a ILB who can stay healthy and do the grunt work to allow him to make the splash plays we are used too…Ogletree & Danny T are solid but getting Robert who already understands the D that Patricia will bring here would be a big upgrade on this team…love the added intensity and leadership he would bring as well.

CB…Fabian Moreau…6-0” 203lbs…Falcons…

1344704979.0.jpg

CB is the biggest need on the defensive side of the ball and we will look for traits guys who fit with what Patricia does…Moreau brings sub 4.4 speed to the CB spot which is something we haven’t had for a long time…he also brings great size and length to the position and would make a nice outside #2 CB in what would be a 2-4-5 base defence.

S…Ronnie Harrison…6-3” 215lbs…Browns…

1279705395.jpeg

Probably where the money is spent on the defensive side of the ball this offseason…Patricia has help implement the Pats base 2-4-5 defence this offseason with the 5th DB being safety Kyle Dugger who has the size to play closer to the LOS but also the coverage skills to match up with athletic TEs and backs…Harrison is a similar size with similar athletic upside to play what would best be described as the Star position in this defence…I think he could really develop into something special here.

S…Duron Harmon…6-0” 205lbs…Falcons…

hi-res-6be67f56ef7242398dbebbf526d03060_

Gipson has been solid for us as a safety but I feel we need someone on the backend who again understands what Patricia’s D calls for…Harmon like Roberts is another ex-Patriot who would be able to communicate effectively on the field as well as being more of a playmaker on the ball that Gipson currently is…he would slot in at SS and hopefully create an effective relationship with Jackson at Safety.

Edited by Madmike90

Draft…

Round 2…  

WR…George Pickens…6-3” 200lbs…Georgia…

64c32667-7c65-442b-8818-0bb300b110fb-USA

The WR core is clearly going to need to be rebuilt in both free agency and through the draft…if we can resign Daniels & bring in a guard like Karras in free agency we are then in a position to draft a complementary WR to Mooney who will be the #2 WR on the outside who will use his speed to stress a defence and allow others to work under neath…Kirk who would be the slot receiver who would be for high volume catches who would then try and make something out of nothing given his skills…but who are we throwing it up too? Who is that receiver who we trust 1on1 to go up and over a CB? That would be Pickens who probably only is available here due to the ACL injury he has only just returned from…Pickens his not only 6-3” height but excellent length and leaping ability…his body control is elite and he can climb the ladder to be that jumpball/redzone weapon we would be lacking…between the 20s Pickens is a smooth route runner who is smart in finding space against zone coverage…he might not be the biggest, strongest or fastest but there is just a bit of AJ Green about him that I would take a risk on because if we get 50% of that he would be a quality receiver for us.

Round 3… 

OG…Jamaree Salyer…6-3” 325lbs…Georgia…

jamaree-salyer.jpg

Back to back Bulldogs for McDaniels’ first draft…he gets his outside receiver in round 2 then comes back for more OL help in round 3…McDaniels understands the importance of keeping the QB upright and I have no doubt in my mind he will be looking to build talent and depth in the trenches…Salyer is still raw and is getting by mostly on his athletic upside that sees him play LT for Georgia…with his size I suspect he is more of a guard at the next level and could need a year to truly refine his technique inside but his size, power and athletic upside he is well worth the pick even given his history of niggly injuries…I could see him being our long term answer at LG.

Round 5…

TE…Josh Whyle…6-6” 245lbs…Cincinnati…

Whyle_jumping_catch_Hicks_defense.jpg

More weapons for McDaniels and Fields to work with…it is clear that McDaniels likes to use two TE sets as it allows him to either stick with 21 personnel and run the ball out of it or put his athletic TEs up against LBs rather than DBs in the passing game…I still have faith that with a coach like McDaniels Cole Kmet will be a solid piece of the offence as an inline TE but we need another guy who brings more agility & athletic upside when running routes…Whyle isn’t very well known but he is a big receiving TE with excellent hands and COD skills for his size…he has the straight line speed to attack the seam and while he may never be a great all round TE as long as he is able to play a big role in the passing game this would be an excellent pick up.

Round 5 (via)…

CB…Brendan Radley-Hiles…5-9” 185lbs…Washington…

10202021_Brendan-Radley-Hiles-AP_174453.

The Pats have played a ton of different fronts this season and the most interesting IMO is when they play a 4-2-5…well at least that is the standard nickel formation but the personnel is interesting because they have 2 true downlinemen…2 OLBs…1 ILB…1 “box safety”…1 nickel back…2 outside CBs and 2 safesties…in a passing league having that amount of athletic ability on the field is the future…with Roquan at ILB we would slide Harrison to the box safety spot meaning we would need a true nickel on the field…Radley-Hiles is an excellent nickel candidate in the pros…he has real short area quickness and can mirror quicker receivers who typically play the nickel…which his size does give him limitations he isn’t afraid to come up and hit someone…he also has solid ball skills which could make him the best nickel we have had here since Bryce Callaghan…this move would mean Vildor would be relegated to being a backup only.

Round 6… 

S…Juanyeh Thomas…6-3” 218lbs…Georgia Tech…

EB73IK5XYAA59o8.jpg

Safety has clearly been an issue this year and moving to the 4-2-5 that Patricia will run we are going to need more versatile safeties and DBs in general…Thomas really stands out on tape…he brings excellent size & length to the position as well as enough athletic ability to play in zone or man up against TEs or RBs…his size would allow him to play in the box and while he would start as a backup to Harrison in that role he could develop into competition as the in the box safety or even at SS to relace Harmon…I also think he would be an outstanding special teamer.

UDFA

P…Ryan Wright…6-3” 245lbs…Tulane…

DSC_2859.jpg

O’Donnell is costing more and more and finding a rookie P would save a bit of money…I also think Wright could be a really good punter for a long time based off his stats…c’mon who is watching punters? hahaha.

Edited by Madmike90
  • Like 2

Depth Chart…

QB…Justin Fields…Trevor Siemian

RB…David Montgomery…Khalil Herbert…Damien Williams…J.P Holtz

WR…George Pickens…Marquise Goodwin

WR…Darnell Mooney…Damiere Byrd

WR…Christian Kirk…Braxton Berrios

TE…Cole Kmet…Josh Whyle…Jesse James…Jasper Horsted

LT…Teven Jenkins…Josh Wells

LG…Ted Karras…Jamaree Salyer

C…Cody Whitehair…Sam Mustipher

RG…James Daniels

RT…Larry Borom…Germain Ifedi

LOLB…Khalil Mack…Ifeadi Odenigbo

DT…Eddie Goldman…Angelo Blackson…Khyiris Tonga

DT…Bilal Nichols…Mario Edwards                      

ROLB…Robert Quinn…Trevis Gipson

ILB…Roquan Smith…Danny Trevathan…Caleb Johnson

ILB…Elandon Roberts…Alec Ogletree

DB…Ronnie Harrison…Juanyeh Thomas

NB…Brendan Radley-Hiles

CB…Kyle Fuller…Kindle Vildor

CB…Jaylon Jackson…Artie Burns                  

SS…Duron Harmon…Deon Bush                    

FS…Eddie Jackson…Deandre Houston-Carson                   

P…Ryan Wright

K…Cario Santos

LS…Patrick Scales

Edited by Madmike90

12 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Where are Romeo crennel and bill O'Brien going to fit?

Kidding aside, I wanted you to know that based solely on the opinions of posters like you I've opened my mind a bit to McD. 

I would love to get O'Brien here as OC but I doubt he leaves Bama for anything but a head coaching job hahahaha...

And early on I was right where you were...hated the idea of McDaniels as HC but when you really look into some of his decisions over the years he has been right on the vast majority...he might not be the nicest guy in football but who says you need to be? I want this guy to build us into a winner not be a media darling.

• Like 1

****s sake I was joking about O'Brien.  

It's not his demeanor that freaks me out, it's his track record away from NE.

Regardless of what any of us think, it remains difficult to see the Bears hiring that guy. If they're going to take a risk they don't want it to be one that immediately gets everyone looking their way to wait for fireworks. 

12 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Regardless of what any of us think, it remains difficult to see the Bears hiring that guy. If they're going to take a risk they don't want it to be one that immediately gets everyone looking their way to wait for fireworks. 

As a HC yeah I'd never go for BOB. But offensively he has gotten a TON of production out of Watson. 104 pass TDs, 36 INTs, 17 rush TDs. IDGAD about him being a ****** if he is a guy who can develop the QB. He never had an issue I know of until Rick Smith left the Texans and their FO went insane. As an OC I think he is worth the risk. 

That would be where I would be more comfortable with McDaniels as HC. As @soulman has said there is something to desire about a HC who gets to be a real HC, and let the OC develop the QB. This would let McDaniels be "in power" as he gets to oversee three former HCs run the three facets of the game. Regardless of who the HC is I'm down for that coaching staff around the HC. Moore, Daboll, Roman, Harbaugh, Day, whoever.

I know reports say Bears will open up the checkbooks for the new HC but it's like the rumors of firing or moving Pace off of the top of football ops - I'll believe it when I see it. This is Chicago, where we will lowball top coaching candidates but pay two back up QBs a total of $11.6 mil for one season.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I would love to get O'Brien here as OC but I doubt he leaves Bama for anything but a head coaching job hahahaha...

And early on I was right where you were...hated the idea of McDaniels as HC but when you really look into some of his decisions over the years he has been right on the vast majority...he might not be the nicest guy in football but who says you need to be? I want this guy to build us into a winner not be a media darling.

You laugh now, but he may end up the highest paid D-II HC in history if that is true. lol

Really though I like the mock. Good work

• Like 1

FWIW I believe who we hire as OC and QB coach are just as important as who we hire as HC.   They are the two guys who have the most impact on Fields development.  The HC and OC need to develop the scheme and game plans for Fields to operate.

Anyone else care to comment on who replaced Nagy during his COVID vacation?

It wasn't an OC, a DC, or Mike Pettine.  It was Chris Tabor out STC.  Dave Toub should be asked to interview.

6 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

I wasn't...again the guy might rub some people up the wrong way but it's not about who is the nicest coaches...it's about who are the best.